close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blind dog

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by h2o-5o, Mar 7, 2007.

1. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

My female Pug, Molly, 5 years old, was injured last Tuesday (2/27) in an altercation with another family dog, a Jack Russell Terrier. My Pug's right eye popped out of the socket (traumatic ocular proptosis). I got her to the local family vet in about 15 minutes, who sedated her, repositioned the eye, and sewed her eyelids shut to allow it to heal. After returning home, I noticed she couldn't see out of the other eye, although there was no obvious damage. The family vet recommended taking her to a veterinary ophthamologist.

I got an appointment and took her to the ophthamologist on Monday (3/5). The ophthamologist stated the other eye was blind due to damage to the optic nerve, from the injury to the other eye. She started her on prednisone for a week, and we take her back next Tuesday (3/13). She stated a few dogs have regained a limited amount of sight under such conditions, but it is an extreme rarity, and definitely not to get my hopes up. She also wants to partially sew her eyelids shut to keep the eyes from popping out again.

To say I am devistated is an understatement. Since I don't have human children, this was my baby. I keep constantly what-if'ing and blaming everyone involved, especially myself.

I have been reading online about blind dogs, and it seems most go on to lead a happy life. I definitely intend to do everything I can to make sure she does. I keep hoping for a miracle, though.

Does anyone have any experience with dogs suffering from a similar injury? Any realistic hope of any slight return of sight? Is there any surgery that could restore any sight?

2. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

I am sorry to hear of Mollys injury. I unfortunately have no information to offer you regarding eye injuries or blind dogs. Don't beat yourself up over this, accidents happen. You need to look at what could have been done different to prevent it (if anything) and learn from this.

I will keep you and Molly in my thoughts and prayers. May she experience a miraculous recovery.

3. Sapperstang

Sapperstang Paratrooper

Sorry to hear about your dog. Pugs' eyes look like there gonna pop out half the time anyway.

4. mr.burt gummer

mr.burt gummer

sorry to head this but good news i have a friend with a dog thats blind this little guy has no problems going around the house has even figured where the steps are :odie: hope things work out great

5. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy