close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blasphemy... Input on a Smith CS45, please?

Discussion in 'The Big Dawgs Club' started by OfficerMikey, Jul 31, 2002.

1. OfficerMikey

OfficerMikey Ofc Pork Chop

I have been looking at a Smith CS45 and I like the feel of it, although the trigger needs attention.
    Anyone have experience with this piece?
    The last Smith auto I had was a 669 in 1990, so it has been awhile.
    Oh, please no politics, just input on the weapon.

Thanks,
    Mikey:cool:

2. Elkslayer

Elkslayer

I've got one which I have put several boxes of ammo thru. I like it. It is nice an light to carry. It is accurate and the recoil is not bad.

I do have mine for sale because I have my eye on something else and the CS45 is a duplication for me.

I'm asking $400 + actual S&H to your FFL. It has 4 mags and everything it came new with. Here are a couple of pics.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

I have a lot of rounds through one of the stainless (slide) models. I tried a couple different sights and finally settled on the Ashley Big Dot sights. The factory plastic sights were accurate ... I just wanted steel, and something very visible & very fast. The Big Dot is all of that ...

The pistol handles much better than the short & blocky grip feels like it would. It might "feel" funny to the hand, but it lines right up on target ... at least for me and a couple of the other instructors. Mine is more than accurate enough for 15 yard precision shooting ... even 25 yards if you're careful, as the Big Dot front sight literally covers most of the target at that distance. At 1-10 yards the pistol is simply easy & very fast to shoot. The grip is an acquired taste, though, as is the slightly heavier DA first shot, due to the very short grip frame dimension and the strong spring S&W designed into it to ignite .45 ammunition sized primers.

The early models had a couple minor things that surfaced on some of them ...

S&W was apparently just a little too into precision fit and tight tolerances on the little CS45 models at first, and some early pistols left the factory with the barrel tab-to-breech face tolerance just a little too tight. (Some would probably "shoot in" without any problem, during "break-in", as it were.) Mine was one of them, and it stopped the barrel & slide from closing into full battery when it heated up. After I learned of this, and the proper correction, it was a fix of only a couple minutes. (I'm an armorer, so I'm not recommending anyone make such an adjustment themselves, if there are any tight pistols still out there. Take it to a S&W armorer or return it to the factory for the proper adjustment and fitting.)

The other issue was some of the early magazines, which had the small angled indentations "punched" slightly unevenly into the top of the sides of the magazines. These indentations are what makes the CS45 magazines different from the early 6-shot 4513TSW magazines, as it provides the extra pressure against the rear of the cases to stop them from moving forward under the stronger recoil force of the lighter pistol. Subcompact pistols, especially of large caliber, have more violent recoil forces acting on them, and increased slide velocity.

The indentations on the earliest magazines were done by hand, by a contract machine shop vendor, and a small number of them apparently weren't quite evenly matched in relation to each side. This sometimes created uneven pressure against a case during feeding, which even more seldom caused a misfeed. S&W went to computer machining for the indentation placement shortly afterward, and gladly replaced any of the earlier magazines that caused any problems. Their customer service is really oriented to the customer in these matters, regardless what some folks feel about their other company "policies".

The little pistol is one of those that most people either really like, or really dislike. They shoot better than they "feel". The factory tested them extensively with 230gr standard pressure "combat" type loads during development, and that's what I feed mine. Personally, I'd avoid +P ammunition in the subcompact pistol. The trade-off of another 30+fps isn't worth the sharper recoil and slightly longer recovery.

The Ranger T Series loads were measured out of my pistol at 802fps for the standard 230gr load, and at 839fps for the +P load. Tested in the 4-layer denim/gelatin test, the standard load did 13"/.76 expansion, and the +P did 12"/.77 expansion. This was from a 3.25" barrel, remember ... Doubles, triples and sustained fire to the 7-round capacity is just much easier to accurately control with the standard loads.

If you want a small, subcompact traditional DA/SA .45 pistol with 7-round capacity, that will shoot more accurately than you would expect for its size, give one a try. Whenever I have it with me during a qualification session, someone is always asking to try it. They're always surprised by its light weight and suprising accuracy for it's size ... I know, some people still equate accuracy with size ...

Enough said ... sorry for the length & babble ...

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Flame away if you want, but I loved my 4516 and 457. I don't see any reason why the CS version wouldn't be at least as good.

5. ArmyCop

ArmyCop

I have had my CS45 for years. It's a keeper for sure.