close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blasphemous Glock talk . . . .

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mjb1, Jan 1, 2007.

1. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

:milestone:
    I shot my Kimber Ultra CDP yesterday for the first time, and again today just to make sure my experience yesterday wasn't a fluke. :shocked:

A little background first . . . .

I've been concentrating all my training with InSights on my regular carry (G26). Many, many hours of excellent formal training with them over the past six months.

I thought I was doing pretty well. Going to the range I have used my G26 for practice and drills as taught to do. And I hold my own quite nicely in the classes with LEO's and people with more experience than I.

For fun at the range, I have also been using my Kimber Super Match II that I'd converted to a .22 (but still have not yet used the .45 slide it came with). Of course, the .22 is a piece of cake to shoot - feels like an extremely accurate pop gun.

Early on in my training (with big eyes) I purchased this lovely Kimber Ultra CDP. Many might ask, how could I possibly have this K-CDP in my possession for the past five (yes, count 'em 5) months and not shoot with it? Well, I was waiting till I thought I'd "earned" it.

:embarassed: Okay - the truth: On the first day of my little basic handgun training six months ago we all had an opportunity to shoot practically every make & model of handgun . . . and I was scared half to death when the girl next to me shot a .357 magnum revolver (I think the instructors just throw that one on the table at us newbies for their own sick entertainment). :scared: I thought the gun and she had exploded. Really. I hadn't even worked my way up past the 9mm, and was so shaken by the .357 explosion next to me that I (and she) took a pass on the .45's. :embarassed: I let my Kimber Ultra CDP sit for five months till I got up the courage . . . .

. . . . So, back to my story/question. Yesterday I decided I was WAY past confident enough to try my K-Ultra-CDP, and quite determined to "get used to" that loud .45 BANG and everything that would come with it. Well, OMG - not only was it NOT SCARY, but I shot BETTER than I do with the .22, and far better and far more accurately with it than I EVER have with my G26. :shocked: . That's the blasphemy part.

I went back to the range today to see if it was a fluke, but no . . . I compared three target sheets, same groups and practice drills (1 on 2, 2 on 1, various reloads) with all three guns - the G26, and both Kimbers (the .22, and the .45), at distances of 25, 50 & 75 feet. It was as if I couldn't miss if I tried with that little Kimber Ultra CDP. I got rather cocky about the whole thing today, and relaxed . . . and still did my best with that little pistol compared to the other two.

So, what gives??? Any explanations out there? Next course I take with InSights I'm using the CDP, no question. After today, it's my carry. I don't get it. I really don't get it. Aren't 45's supposed to kick my *** compared to 9mm? Anyone have this experience?

I'm going to Glock Talk Hell for this, aren't I . . . :nailbiting::couch::devilish::burn:

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

now you 'understand' and actually never need to shoot or own your Glock again

3. dirksterG30

dirksterG30

No, I think you have seen the light. You are now one of JMB's disciples.:supergrin:

4. 1991

1991 Stainless

Using the same platform (Colt Government models in my case) provides a direct comparison of calibers. The 9mm has very little recoil, but it is fast, sharp, and tends toward muzzle flip. The .45 has more recoil, but it is a slower push. At least to me, spreading the greater force of the .45 over a longer time results in about the same felt recoil as the snappier 9mm.

Small, light guns tend to exaggerate recoil. The G26's short grip does not provide me a lot to hang on to, making muzzle flip more pronounced. The CDP has a bit more grip, providing more leverage to control recoil.

The goods news is that Glocks have pretty good trade-in value. :supergrin:

5. ShootCraps

ShootCraps

It's pretty simple. You practiced with lesser-recoiling handguns and gained good handling skills before moving up to the bigger caliber. That's usually the best way to do it.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Just so you know, the Glock 30 holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP and kicks very little, and is possibly the most accurate Glock model. I carried mine for five years prior to active duty and loved it.

Still a 1911 man (and have been for a quarter century) but as a primary carry weapon having Glock simplicity and 11 rounds of .45 is nice.

They also make the 6+1 G36 but it kicks more.

7. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

YOU, my friend, are going to GT Hell too! :devildance:

8. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

Thanks! This helps me understand better . . . makes sense about felt recoil. Yes, also now that you mention it, the CDP does feel better in my hands - just a little more grip might be making some difference to me with control.

9. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

Okay, I had to look up JMB . . . now I'm a believer. :notworthy:

10. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

Wow, thanks. Now that's certainly a better MO for sitting on the .45 for five months, as opposed to "I was scared of the BANG." I'll use your explanation from now on. :supergrin:

11. mjb1

mjb1 femineity CLM

Unbelievable. Now I have another craving. Thanks . . . a LOT. :supergrin:

(going to look up info on G30. 11 rounds would be nice. Maybe my range has one to try out???)

But the CDP is so PRETTY and felt sooo good. Oh, the confusion setting in.

. . . Loyalty to Glock :tempted:
    . . . New Disciple of JMB :duel:

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Glocks are tools, if you have to use one for work they you are good2go

1911s are fine art

...all my tools for work say Snap-On btw

13. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I've been a 1911 fan since I was old enough to read (about 1981-82) and always wanted one, almost bought one several times.

However for a carry gun, the G30 is hard to beat for the simplicity, durability, and capacity. When I return to the US I'll get a NICE 1911 ($800-1,300 range), and shoot the hell out of it. When i'm convinced of it's reliability (that particular one, not 1911s in general,which are fairly reliable) i may switch, but only after quite a bit of training. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget that safety.

14. jonathon

jonathon Bowtie Freak

I find the capacity on the 30 to be a bit.. optimistic at best. Inserting a full magazine takes a good bit of effort. With the 10 round magazine it goes from sorta compact to almost full sized, pretty much why I traded all my 10 rounders for 9's. I'd almost rather have an officers 1911..

Though the 30 is a great pistol all around, I love mine. It runs and runs, but so does my Colt that cost maybe $50 more(not sure, it was a gift) :banana:

15. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

I have no problem with 10+1 in my G-30...It's an excellent choice for a carry gun!

Having blathered all that, I shoot my 1911 much better...

DD~(saving now for 2nd 1911...there may be a spot reserved in GT hell for me, too!)

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Congratulations!

Although the recommendations are meant for the best, I am pretty certain that NOTHING will fit your hand as well as the 1911 platform.

Glocks are thicker, have a different grip angle, and a MUCH different trigger.

1911's have been known to make instant converts of many people, not just you.

Good luck.

17. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

GT hell ain't so bad. It's full of SIGs, H&Ks, various 1911s, and S&Ws.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

18. sigdeputy

sigdeputy

Welcome to the dark side :tbo:

Incidentally, there is no turning back for you now!! Now you see what all of the 1911 lovers have been talking about. Many people bad mouth the 1911 and they've never even picked one up, let alone shot one. There really is something special about that feeling of picking up a cold steel 1911 and wrapping your hands around some real wood grips. Everything falls into place as you wrap your hand around the gun, bring it up and point it instinctively at your target.

I got away from them for years. I switched to the Glock revolution. I have grown to appreciate the Glock and its respective place in the shooting world. Then, I picked up a 1911 again. I forgot what I was missing. I have never shot as good as I do now with my 1911's. My Glock's don't even compare.

Don't let people tell you the 1911 is not dependable. I get tired of reading the same old threads about how they jam, how they have feeding problem, how they have ejector problems, etc. The 1911 is a fine weapon. I have never had any of those problems with my Colts or my Kimber. Sure, they requires some degree of care. Granted, if a person wants an "idiot proof" gun, a Glock is certainly more suited for them as compared to a 1911. However, just because my 1911's need a little care (routine cleaning & oiling), does not mean they are not fully capable of saving my hide when the need arises.

After all, that's why some of the elite fighting units in the world still use it when given the choice :thumbsup:

19. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Welcome to The Dark Side (as has already been posted, but is so much fun to repeat :animlol:

I've been hauling around a Kimber Pro CDP over the last several months, and I really like it. Prior to it, I carried a Springfield TRP.

Almost everyone I have turned on to the 1911 platform has cursed me. For that I'm grateful :thumbsup:

I like the G30 and shoot it well, but there's nothing like a 1911 riding IWB at 4:30 or so :hearts:

20. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Libertarian