Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there is a state park not too far from where we live, and in this state park the ever elusive and rare Blanding Turtle is supposed to live there. We go to the park a few times a year the last 20 years we lived there, never saw one. We saw the signs, never saw a turtle.

Couple weekends ago the wifey went there with one of her friends. She got back from her walk, all excited. She has some video on her iphone, a couple of these yellow bellied turtles doing the nasty. Talked about it half the day, doesn't take much to excite her.

The next day one of my adult sons comes to visit. We take him and another son to the same park. The wife wants to see if lightning strikes twice, and she can show off these horny turtles to the majority of our family. We get to the park, and the line to get in is long. On a vote of 3 against 1 we turn around. A half mile down the road there is another park, shorter walk, and less chance for a turtle spotting, but it's my wife so we oblige.

We do the walk, no turtles. Bummer. A mile or so down the road on the way back I see something in the distance slowly lumbering across the road. Once we got closer I could see it was a turtle. I am slowing down and going into the opposing lane - no traffic anywhere to be seen. As we get closer my wife identifies it, all excited. It's the elusive Blanding Turtle!! PULL OVER!!!

My wife slowly and carefully picks it up, and starts to gently carry it to the side of the road. She is being super careful, likes she's carrying one of our grandchildren. She takes a few steps, and looks up. About a mile down the road, coming at us, is about a half dozen motorcycles. Their ETA is maybe a minute. Plenty of time to take a few more steps, gently put down the turtle, and get back to the truck. Instead, she gives it a toss into the ditch. The boys start laughing, there is dust kicked up from the landing and it does a couple of cartwheels down the embankment. The boys confirmed it landed on it's feet, and seemed none the worse for wear. The drive home was a riot, we gave her a ton of crap. It was funny to everybody but her, you would think by the look on her face she had just killed a bald eagle.

I know this is one of those things where you had to be there...but it's damn funny to me.

·
κολασμένος
18,796 Posts
If she don't save the wee turtles, nobody will! :thumbsup:

·
Native Mainiac
23,804 Posts
Had this guy on the cart path by a water hazard at the golf course last year. Not sure what kind it is, but once in awhile I see them there. That shell comes in handy for those errant golf balls.

golf turtel.jpg

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Can a turtle be blanding if it lives in salt water ?

·
Mentally Frozen
28,407 Posts

·
Mentally Frozen
28,407 Posts
T
I had something very similar to that this morning, right after my first cup of coffee and a Camel.
That's an old mans trouser turtle. Peaks its head out then retreats.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
#MeToo. Except the medium and up sized snappers. They are on their own.
Haha. 1st big snapper I saved, I picked him up by the tail. I held him high for the others to see. He almost bit me in the armpit!

I’m much more careful these days!

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Turtles are too much work to clean for bar-b-quing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts