close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blame the people or the food?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TSAX, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I was living in Los Angeles years back when they came up with a ban of fast food restaurants in some areas (2nd link) to fight obesity.

Blame the people or the food? Is it right that governments make this kind of ban or should they focus more on educating nutrition/balanced diet?

[​IMG]

Poll: Americans Are Obese, Still Want Junk Food

http://www.kirotv.com/videos/ap/technology/poll-americans-are-obese-still-want-junk-food/vmZsW/

http://current.com/green/89152182_los-angeles-bans-fast-food-in-poor-areas-to-tackle-obesity.htm

:50cal:

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The people are 100% to blame. You are to blame for all of you choices, no matter how attractive somebody made them, as long as the evidence was available for you to understand what you were choosing. Both the choice and the effort to understand it are your responsibility.

That is, however, generally contrary to the thinking of the left, Democrats, etc., who believe that the government, or wise party members, should serve as babysitters to the poor, minorities, and anyone not smart enough to agree with them.

3. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

It's cheaper to shove that garbage down your throat than it is to eat healthy. I know some poor ass families that feed themselves McDonald's because the meals are cheap.

4. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I'd say the answer is neither. A person can even disregard the principle regarding the limited role of government, but should still see that the government can't get it right.

"Educating" people on nutrition? We have just about more cookbooks than anybody, but we're still fat. We have more cooking shows and cooking gurus than just about anybody, but we're still about the most obese. We have more trainers, exercise joints, etc. today, but heart disease is still the number one killer.

Americans needs to curb a lot of appetites and get a good helping of common sense.

5. elsolo

elsolo

No, it is not more expensive to eat healthy compared to fast food.

When you are spending $1.50 on a cup of frutose water with caramel coloring, you could have bought enough rice and vegetables, to make a whole meal.

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

Isn't it the spoon that is at fault:headscratch::supergrin:

7. cesaros

cesaros

Self control is just that...SELF-control.

I CHOOSE not to eat that stuff, and I'm not obese.

Its just like blaming alcohol and cigarettes for alcoholics or smokers...those people choose to drink and smoke, and accept the repercussions of their actions.

8. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Does anyone ever stop and ask the simple question of "If the government is so worried about our health then why is good healthy food so much more expensive than processed unhealthy food?"

I agree that the people are responsible for their choices... but when it comes down to economics sometimes your choice isn't really much of one.

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:rofl:, but does it hold more than 10 uses per spoon

:50cal:

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

:rofl::rofl:

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This. Three gas station corndogs will always be cheaper than a salad and an apple...if you can even find them. Poor people are fat because healthy food costs more. HH

12. NorthCarolinaLiberty

A good question. The answer is simply competition. Check out the police raiding this raw health food store.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zPhhNUakc"]Armed Police Raid Private Organic Co-Op Rawesome Foods, Security Camera Footage - YouTube[/ame]

Count the number of bad Amish busted for selling raw milk. Try to butcher a cow on your own without the government intervening in every step of the process.

The fact is the corrupt greed of public-private partnerships between the FDA, agribusiness, law enforcement and others works to keep a dumbass public in a haze of artificial and empty calories. Anyone willing to stand up (like Rawsome in the video) is crushed under the weight of crooked politicians, a willing police force, and no good judges.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Which is fine and dandy if you have cookware, utensils, a stove and a kitchen to cook them in. HH

14. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

How is good health food more expensive than fast food? I just had a salad for lunch today from HEB grocery store. It was three dollars and fifty cents...... Very filling too, for a 185lbs 6'3 male.

15. CAcop

CAcop

There are relatively healthy choices on any menu in a fast food joint. Usually chicken based, some salads. The market has spoken if they don't want it they will not provide it.

16. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

The food, if healthy food tasted better people would be happy to eat it so it needs to make itself better

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

He'll generally say anything to support the liberal side. Nothing is anybody's fault and they need to protect you.

Also, he seems to be out of touch with McDonald's prices compared to the grocery store. I eat lunch at home every day for less than a McDonald's burger with no side items would cost.

18. Stvan1

Stvan1

I prefer Wendys, lots of grease and if I am really hungry I can get a double our even a triple and with cheese and bacon. Granted if I ate like that more once a month I would be as big as a house.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I have to disagree with you, Snaps. If you eat healthy food, then your taste buds change. People are accustomed to eating things with lots of salt, so they think they can't do without the salt shaker. It's the same with sweets and other types of food.

20. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Agreed. It's not more expensive, if you're not too lazy to investigate wise choices and spend wisely. It's cheap AND EASY to go eat junk.