GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
Odd that the 36" version has a 7 gauge steel griddle while the 28" has a 10 gauge griddle. I would have thought they would have the same thickness.
Steel Sheet Gauges ......... sheet get thicker as the gauge numbers get lower. (Counter intuitive)
The nominal thickness of 10 gauge is 0.134” while the nominal thickness of 7 gauge is 0.179”.
The larger 36” grill therefore has a cooking surface about 33% thicker.
This makes sense given the larger cooking surface and needing to minimize any heat associated distortion.

Old retired steel guy here.

·
Sneet
15,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)

·
Why so serious?
65,046 Posts
Reactions: G19Tony

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
If you have a cast iron skillet and a range or cook top of any source you have what's required to sear a steak. The rest is up to your preference. :eat:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk
My issue is that I'm trying to get outside....tired of smoking up the house. It's also a pain that you can't cook 4 steaks at once in a typical cast iron pan.

I saw that tractor supply had the 36" model on sale for $199. Pretty tempted to try it out now.

·
Why so serious?
65,046 Posts
My issue is that I'm trying to get outside....tired of smoking up the house. It's also a pain that you can't cook 4 steaks at once in a typical cast iron pan.

I saw that tractor supply had the 36" model on sale for $199. Pretty tempted to try it out now.
You can use the pan outside on a propane or electric single burner, sear one steak at a time (2 min per steak tops), then finish however you like (smoker, grill, oven, etc).

All the best

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Reactions: jp3975

·
Anti-Federalist
19,025 Posts

That's a pretty good price.

·
bene vivere
1,905 Posts
Wife and I bought the 17 inch model. It is great for two people. We like to cook hash browns, eggs, bacon and flap jacks for breakfast and steaks for dinner. We season it with canola oil. It is easy to keep clean and small enough to take up to our cabin.
Keep it wiped down and oiled to prevent rust.

Reactions: G19Tony

·
Cheese?
9,738 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
They are awesome. I like making burgers, wings, and a sort of stir fry that the family loves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I have the 36" model and converted it over to natural gas. Love that thing, haven't touched my Weber in months. For some ideas on what you can do with these flat top griddles, check out the Waltwins on Youtube. I make steaks, chicken, fish, shrimp... just about everything on there. Lately I have been throwing steaks in my smoker for a bit to get some smoke on them and then finishing them off on the Blackstone to get a nice, crispy sear on them.

Japanese Hibachi restaurant style cooking is great on these too!

·
Sneet
15,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm going to try Smashburgers next. Bought all the ingredients today. Big Cat 305 on YT had a good recipe.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,025 Posts
I'm going to try Smashburgers next. Bought all the ingredients today. Big Cat 305 on YT had a good recipe.

Break up the raw meat so that it's a super loose ball, barely held together. The less compact it is the better.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts