Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'm lucky to have a blackpowder supplier who makes and sells their own (Holy Smoke) about an hour's drive from me. I'm picking up a couple of kilos in the next few weeks if everything goes to plan. That should last me a while.

A blackpowder shooter in one of the clubs I belong to makes his own. I've his number to make contact next time he makes a batch. I want to see how he does it before trying it myself.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Hodgon makes it sound like they want to sell off the black powder business on their web site.

Maybe GlockTalk needs to do a Go Fund Me and purchase a black powder company.
I want that job! I read about the Dupont Family. Hire me, I'll move to Delaware or wherever!

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
It's not hard to make gun powder
Actually, it is kind of labor intensive, and raw materials have pretty high cost no matter what. Like somebody already pointed out,- getting "sent 'cross the creek" in this day and age, is any ambulance chaser's Christmas to remember!

·
Registered
15,808 Posts
Know whats horrible about this...ive wanted for a LONG time to get into this..and now finally being retired and finding myself having a LOT more time on my hands..ive been thinking of ordering a nice custom/hand made Kentucky(or Pennsylvania as its called around these parts lol) long rifle..several local guys here in PA make them but I never realized that the blackpowder market was like this...glad I read this before I bought something id literally possibly not even be able to do anything but look at. TY for bringing up this subject....another dream dashed lol

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I found some Olde Eynsford FFg and some SRP on MidwayUSA.

Hopefully that will allow me to shoot plenty this fall and give Track of the Wolf time to source some imported powder.

Next time it’s available I’m gonna stack it deep.

Midway had a 2lb limit. Hardly worth the hazmat shipping, but Atleast I can shoot as I intended this fall.

I have always wanted to take a deer with a smoothbore flintlock shooting a round ball. Based on my. Practice results 40 yards is about my max for a guaranteed clean kill.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Know whats horrible about this...ive wanted for a LONG time to get into this..and now finally being retired and finding myself having a LOT more time on my hands..ive been thinking of ordering a nice custom/hand made Kentucky(or Pennsylvania as its called around these parts lol) long rifle..several local guys here in PA make them but I never realized that the blackpowder market was like this...glad I read this before I bought something id literally possibly not even be able to do anything but look at. TY for bringing up this subject....another dream dashed lol
I would still do it. BP is a lot of fun and can kill a full day at the range with a very low round count. Get the rifle and start sourcing powder now. It will come back, just probably be $35/lb when it does.

With a .50 flintlock rifle you should get ~140 shots per pound. Possibly more, that is assuming a 50g charge, a lot of guns shoot better with a lighter charge. You probably won’t get 10 shots in a day without cleaning before it starts getting hard to load. A pound of powder will give you multiple days at the range.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Collim, Amazon has got you covered. A few tutorials on You Tube and some simple mixing tools and vessels and you are in business. I suggest you rent a cheap motel room for your processing so you don't blow up your house. If meth heads can cook in motels, why can't black powder aficionados make gunpowder there? 😎

Amazon.com : Organic Sulfur Powder-10Lb Bag : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Potassium Nitrate HIGH Purity Milled Reagent Grade 5 LBS by ESKS® : Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Large 2.5 lb Hardwood Activated Charcoal Powder 100 Percent from USA Trees. All Natural. Whitens Teeth, Rejuvenates Skin and Hair, Detoxifies, Helps Digestion, Treats Poisoning, Bug Bites, Wounds.. : Beauty & Personal Care

edited to add, this is not an endorsement for products or actions if this is being monitored by ATF&E agents or interested LEOs in Collim's community.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Collim, Amazon has got you covered. A few tutorials on You Tube and some simple mixing tools and vessels and you are in business. I suggest you rent a cheap motel room for your processing so you don't blow up your house. If meth heads can cook in motels, why can't black powder aficionados make gunpowder there?

Amazon.com : Organic Sulfur Powder-10Lb Bag : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Potassium Nitrate HIGH Purity Milled Reagent Grade 5 LBS by ESKS : Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Large 2.5 lb Hardwood Activated Charcoal Powder 100 Percent from USA Trees. All Natural. Whitens Teeth, Rejuvenates Skin and Hair, Detoxifies, Helps Digestion, Treats Poisoning, Bug Bites, Wounds.. : Beauty & Personal Care

edited to add, this is not an endorsement for products or actions if this is being monitored by ATF&E agents or interested LEOs in Collim's community.
Sounds like a fun project but I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

·
Anti-Federalist
24,555 Posts
The good news is that it's three commonly available ingredients and it's easy to mix by weight. You can even control grain size based on how you "grind" the individual ingredients.

Not nearly as easy is buying it online and having it shipped to the house but it shouldn't be a show stopper for the average hobbyist.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts