Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goex plant is closed. That’s the only BP manufacturer in the US.

Goex is all I have ever shot.

Pyrodex works fine in my cap & ball guns. But it won’t work in a flintlock.

I have less than a pound of FFg in my stash. That doesn’t go far in a Brown Bess. I was really looking forward to shooting my Flintlocks this fall when the weather cools off. I’m not very happy right now.

What’s the backup plan? A local shop carried Goex in stock so I never worried about stashing it away. Now I’m caught with my pants down.

·
NRA Life Member
5,754 Posts
I just checked Grafs and they are out of stock on everything, including Schutzen, Swiss and their own house branded BP. The imports have to be shipped here by boat so it may take some time for another shipment to come in.

Fingers crossed someone steps in and takes over the Goex production from Hodgdon. Damn shame to see that happen.

·
Registered
609 Posts

I have less than a pound of FFg in my stash. That doesn’t go far in a Brown Bess. I was really looking forward to shooting my Flintlocks this fall when the weather cools off. I’m not very happy right now.

What’s the backup plan? A local shop carried Goex in stock so I never worried about stashing it away. Now I’m caught with my pants down.
Vote out, get rid of all the dumb ass democrat commies.

Reactions: railbyrd

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Recall the day when Real Black Powder was cheap.

You had Goex, Elephant, Swiss, Shutzen to choose from.

Most of the factories close, or blew up. Most of the one that when boom, never reopened.

There was, but there is not no more. The NMLRA is loosing members, because muzzle loading shooting is firing, or dead.

Remember in late 90’s there was a big muzzle loading shoot every winter in Phoenix. Winter Nationals, it became Western Nationals.

This was an NMLRA shoot, but their board of directors shut it down.

Local group tried to relaunch, but again it died.

·
Registered
14,208 Posts

In a pinch you can load about 5 grains of real BP and then finish the load with one of the synthetics. The BP will help to ignite the synthetic. I have done this with 777 in my northwest trade gun flintlock.
Keep checking with suppliers. I was able to scare up a couple of pounds of FF Olde Eynsford a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which Democrat closed that factory?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
From what I understand they had an accident. Not sure if the injuries but I’m guessing either people were hurt or walked out and refused to come back if they rebuild.

·
2,153 Posts
Maybe make your own???

In a pinch you can load about 5 grains of real BP and then finish the load with one of the synthetics. The BP will help to ignite the synthetic. I have done this with 777 in my northwest trade gun flintlock.
Keep checking with suppliers. I was able to scare up a couple of pounds of FF Olde Eynsford a couple of months ago.
Straight Pyrodex would work well as the load, but probably not in the pan of a flintlock. We always used FFFF for ignition.

·
Anti-Federalist
24,268 Posts
From what I understand they had an accident. Not sure if the injuries but I’m guessing either people were hurt or walked out and refused to come back if they rebuild.

More like their insurance premium drastically changed.

Time to roll your own.

·
Registered
17,102 Posts
Hodgon makes it sound like they want to sell off the black powder business on their web site.

Maybe GlockTalk needs to do a Go Fund Me and purchase a black powder company.

·
Registered
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hodgon makes it sound like they want to sell off the black powder business on their web site.

Maybe GlockTalk needs to do a Go Fund Me and purchase a black powder company.
What could go wrong? Haha.

I have never bought black powder online. Track of the Wolf is my go to for all things muzzleloading and they have a 25 pound minimum powder order. That’s a lot of money.

Loading a 100g charge in my Brown Bess I get about 70 shots per pound of FFg. That’s a lot of shooting from a flintlock. 20 without cleaning is about the most I’ve done in a single session. After that loading become challenging and ignition become less reliable. I’m usually having to reshape a flint after about 20 rounds also.

25 pounds is way more than I need and I don’t have a friend that shoots blackpowder with me to split the order.

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
Maybe make your own???

Straight Pyrodex would work well as the load, but probably not in the pan of a flintlock. We always used FFFF for ignition.
Pyrodex takes a hotter flame to ignite. I agree real BP in the pan though.

·
Registered
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe make your own???

I roll paper cartridges with 69 caliber balls. I also took buck & ball loads. I prime the pan with the same FFg that’s in the cartridges. I have pretty darn fast ignition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve got a death grip on my remaining Goex for my .32 flintlock squirrel rifle, .54 Harpers Ferry flinter, and .54 Great Plains Hawken caplock. I’m hoping imports pick up the slack, eventually.

First the blasted ammo shortage, now this. Bleah.

·
Registered
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I’ve got a death grip on my remaining Goex for my .32 flintlock squirrel rifle, .54 Harpers Ferry flinter, and .54 Great Plains Hawken caplock. I’m hoping imports pick up the slack, eventually.

First the blasted ammo shortage, now this. Bleah.
Funny, I really ramped upmy blackpowder shooting since coronavirus started because components were easy to source and not nearly as inflated in price. It was a way to enjoy being at the range without shooting lots of ammo I couldn’t replace.

Track of the Wolf claims they won’t have Swiss or German powder in stock until 2022.

Boo.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
There is a thread on castboolits on making your own black powder. I have 12 lbs. of bp but when that's gone i'm planning on making my own.

·
Native Mainiac
26,356 Posts
There is a thread on castboolits on making your own black powder. I have 12 lbs. of bp but when that's gone i'm planning on making my own.
Ha-Ha...make sure to let us know when you start making your own. I'll tune into the channel 2 news out of Portland and see if Sharon Rose mentions you in the morning.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts