close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blackpowder Bear Hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Grant T, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Grant T

Grant T

Hi,

Anyone hunt black bear with a blackpowder rifle? How do you get over the anxiety of needing a second shot?

I have heard stories of how bears can have full strength even after a fatal shot. In a sense they are already dead but just don't know it.

I suppose alot of people will respond with the option of carring a second sidearm. But dosent that defeat the purpose of blackpowder hunting?

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Pulpa est valeo

Use a minimum of a .50 with solid maxi ball. My .50 T/C Renagade can produce loads that rival the 45-70 in power. Limit your range and learn some bear anatomy. Thier vital organs may not be where you think they are. Finally practice, practice. One well placed shot at a reasonable distance is all that it will take.

3. tjpet

tjpet

I've killed 4 bear with MLBP rifles: 3 with an Ithaca Hawken (.54 cal. RB), 1 with a repro Remington Zouave rifled musket (.58 cal. Minie bullet)

The Hawken put the three down within 20 yards. None required a follow up shot. Two kicked a bit but by the time I had the gun reloaded they were dead.

The Zouave kill was interesting. These guns are usually loaded with a 400-500grn. bullet/60grns. Fg/FFg. I found a load mentioned in a Civil War-era book that ran the powder charge up to 90grns. for use against cavalry. I hit him @ 40 yards and broke his shoulder, slug continued on cracking his spine in two and exited breaking the off shoulder. Went down as if poleaxed and never twitched a muscle.

My kills were all shot over bait so I had surprise and range on my side. As I was in a tree stand lack of a quick second shot wasn't a handicap.

4. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

[​IMG]

*click here*

International Blackpowder Hunting Association
    P.O. Box 1180
    Glenrock, WY 82637
    (307) 436-9817

5. JPhule

JPhule Gabh An Latha

Aren't you usually allowed to carry a back-up-gun while hunting bear... in most places anyway?

I mean a non-muzzle-loading backup.

6. python1340

python1340 Licensed to Ill

I had to check to see if this thread was a joke...

7. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

You should get a .54 caliber Hawkens rifle and load it with about 110gr of Goex ffg with heavy conicals and then try it on game. You will see how those heavy conicals hit hard.

[​IMG]