Blackhawk cylinder hangup

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ChaneyD, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag. Shoots great. The cylinder seemed to bind up a couple of times after the 4th or 5th bullet was seated. The cylinder wouldn't move to the next round. Removed cylinder and bullets fell out. Couldn't see any raised metal or anything else to cause this binding. It shoots my reloads fine but binds on 2-3 different kinds of factory ammo. Any thoughts?

2. diamondmike

diamondmike

The metal is crisp and being new it has to smooth and round things off to blend together.

Maybe in your spare time just keep cocking the revolver and slowly lower the hammer down and that will help speed the process along a little faster.

When or if it hangs up again take your hand and rotate the cylinder while pulling the hammer back.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Have you checked lockup and timing?

4. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

I don't think lockup was the problem. I took the rounds that caused the bind, took them apart and resized and reloaded. No problem now. Odd that my reloads work fine but these factory wouldn't. OAL was 1.600 which is the norm. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line they weren't resized properly from the factory? Very odd. I've shot over 4,000 rounds through this gun without a hiccup. Also put a lupe on this gun and found no burrs, shavings, etc. But anyhow, thanks guys for the inputs.

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

If it's the last few in the cylinder, it sounds like the bullets are jumping thier crimp / recoil from the gun is acting like a bullet puller. Did you measure the OAL on the ones that were hanging up?

6. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

If you resized the cases from the cartridge that was binding I assume you de-primed them when you resized, the primed them to load?

Did you look to see if they were seated properly before dis-assembly?

7. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Yes. OAL was 1.600. That's what I reload to as well. Primers looked good. Seating groove looked proper.

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

are they seating on the cylinder completly flush on the head,

or is there a gap,

also if you manually turn the cylinder / force the cylinder to spin a few times are you getting rub marks on the brass,

also if youve shot 4k full power loads through your 44 mag blackhawk,

some parts in it might be worn out a little bit,

might consider at minimum doing a wolf spring pack replacement

9. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

They did appear to be flush. The cylinder would bind up preventing any further rotation of cylinder.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Check the cylinder pin for straightness.

11. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

theres no such part on a ruger single action ..

if your talking about the base pin,

there is no feasible way for you to bend it in the gun ,

and take the cylinder out to drop the shells in so you can hold it to a light and see if any light is shining through ,

also if your own reloads are working fine in the gun,

but its the store bought rounds not working,

then you can assume that the firearms action is working fine, and that it is timing correctly,

also if after resizing and reloading the factory rounds, and loaded to the same oal, that leads me to think that the round either had a bad crimp thats blocking the shell from loading, or there is a bulge in the case somewhere that got smoothed out on your sizing die,

and another thing you do is if you have a vice or just really strong fingers, take your cylinder out of the gun again, and press the rounds into the chambers as hard as you can till they are completely seated, on the ones that were sticking you should see rub marks somewher on the brass or bullet, and that will tell what part is actually sticking

12. Minnow

Minnow

Is the there any build up of carbon or lead vaporization around any areas on the cylinder face that could cause the cylinder to "rub" on the forcing cone?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  13. oldfort

oldfort

Please don't make fun of me, but could it be that your bullets are creeping forward under recoil and hanging up on the barrel? I have a Taurus .41mag ported belly gun for pocket carry in the mountains. Some heavy loaded cast cartridges are too long for the cylinder and will hang up. I use Fed 250gr CastCores with no problems. I have never had a problem like that with a Blackhawk. Good luck.

14. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

There is no creep. Loading cylinder with bullets is the problem. For some reason some bullets were not allowing roation of cylinder to insert next bullet. Sometimes could load 2 bullets, 4 bullets, etc.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

try scrubbing down the barrel to get all thte lead and copper off and make sure you have a small gap between it and the cylinder .. other thtan that if other bullets work fine, its just that ammo thatisthe probelm

16. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Way out idea.
    One charge hole may be tighter than the rest.
    Your resizing die is making it work.
    Factory is not.

This is not uncommon in revolvers.
    Depth of ream is also possible.
    :supergrin:

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

the thing thats odd here is that he has 4000 rounds thru the gun, im thinking it has to be warn springs / parts or just plain dirty ..

if you were local i would go over it for you .. but the hole distance thing kinda makes that not feasible

18. Berto

Berto woo woo

:upeyes::upeyes:

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Let me get it straight: All the rounds; handloaded and factory alike, loaded into the cylinder just fine. Then with factory rounds chambered and fired, comes the 4th or 5th shot, the cylinder wanted to bind?

Let's try another thing: load all the factory rounds into the chamber and CAREFULLY cock & uncock the hammer to rotate the cylinder through. If they bind comes the 4th or 5th shot, then we know that something is out of whack with the cylinder, the cylinder pin, or maybe the paw.

20. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

sorry berto if i hurt your feelings .. if you dont know what your talking about dont try to "help" someone