close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blackberry stops bullet

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by flatag, Feb 13, 2010.

1. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Ah, what caliber do you carry? Anyway, this moron ought to have his permit revolked.

BUTLER TWP., Montgomery County — A woman’s BlackBerry cell phone saved her from serious harm after her boyfriend’s concealed handgun discharged inside a restaurant.

The incident occurred about 11 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 6, in Fricker’s on Miller Lane, said Butler Twp. police Capt. Carl Bush.
    The gun owner, Anthony J. Holtvogt, 24, of Kettering holds a concealed carry permit for the firearm.
    He faces one charge of possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premises. The third-degree felony is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Bush said Holtvogt, his girlfriend, 22, and other friends were enjoying beers at Fricker’s, 6834 Miller Lane. The girlfriend lives in Butler Twp.

When they prepared to leave, Holtvogt told police, he picked up his coat and began putting it on. The firearm was in the coat pocket.

The sleeve got caught in the coat, and as Holtvogt reached down, he noticed the slide on the .32-caliber handgun was pulled back. The gun then discharged.

The slug put a hole through his coat and his girlfriend’s jeans, but struck the BlackBerry in her left pants pocket dead center, Bush said. The bullet caused only bruising, and the woman declined medical treatment, Bush said.
    “The BlackBerry saved her absolutely,” Bush said. “It could have been pretty serious.”

If Holtvogt is convicted, he faces a mandatory revocation of his concealed carry permit, Bush said.
    The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, which issues the permits, has been notified, Bush said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...rry-saves-woman-at-local-frickers-543968.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Did this happen in FL?

3. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

It happened in Ohio

4. vafish

vafish

A google search of "Butler township montgomery county"

Brings up towns in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Since the article mentions no carry in a place that serves alcohol I'd guess it's the one in Ohio.

5. PSUEng

PSUEng

Drinking beers and carrying a gun. What an idiot. And no holster? again...carelessness that could have caused someone serious harm.

6. Ragnar

Ragnar

Yeah. It just "went off". So the slide was back and then it discharged. I think he left out the part of the story where he released the slide while his finger was on the trigger and then it "went off".

Idiot. Negligence should be punished. Don't know about 5 years and felony though.

7. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Stop a bullet, Ha! Let's see your prissy iPhone do that!

8. Ragnar

Ragnar

They got an app for that!

9. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

That's just funny....I don't care who you are....:rofl:

10. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

The things people will do for a new phone...

:supergrin:

11. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

I agree! :rofl:

12. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

It was a .32. Willing to be just about any cellphone wouldn't stopped it in this instance

13. captainstormy

captainstormy

It was in Ohio, this was on my local news. Happened not to far from Columbus.

Even before the firearm discharged, the guy broke several laws.

1. In Ohio you can't carry into any place that has a class D permit for on site consumption. The guy, his girlfriend and others were drinking. So clearly that law was broken.

2. I don't have the number right off hand, but legal BAC in Ohio while carrying is very very low. If he was drinking, he was over it.

3. You have to carry in a holster. Technically you only HAVE to have the holster while in a car. But obviously unless the guy walked from his house to the bar that law was broken as well.

Personally, I hope the book gets thrown at this guy. We work very hard for our gun rights in Ohio. Especially when it comes to CCing (its relatively new still). This guy makes us all look like idiots and feeds the anti crowd.