close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blackberry Pearl?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by powernoodle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. powernoodle

powernoodle

Anyone have one of these? Specifically, I'm wondering about the internet access, what internet pages look like, etc. Also curious about how easy it is to enter data with the strange qwerty keyboard.

thanks

www.blackberrypearl.com

2. pal2511

pal2511

I had a blackbery 8700 for about 4 months which I loved. I liked it because it was unique and no one else I knew had one...I had no real use for it besides using it for a phone and email and internet access.

My wife bought a blackjack for me a couple weeks ago and I love it. All the benefits of the 8700 but does not have push email. Just normal pop email that it checks every 15 minutes or less often than that. No experience with the pearl . Try looking at the blackjack or pearl at the cingular store or whoever you have for a provider.

Check out howardforums.com

3. powernoodle

powernoodle

I have Cingular. What I like about the Pearl is that its the smallest of the bunch, so I'm leaning in that direction. Need to go back to the store and play with the web browser to see how it works.

4. madizzy

madizzy

i'm going from an 8700 (or a version like it) to a blackjack this week too. glad you like the blackjack. i haven't used one, but going smartphone (away from blackberry) seems to be the way to go. i use outlook 24/7, so the integration is suppose to be much better.

regarding how websites look on the pearl, i'd guess that they look the same as the 8700. if you want to read articles on espn (or a site like that) it's manageable. beyond that, i couldn't really see using it for internet surfing much.

5. powernoodle

powernoodle

So what happens if you come to glocktalk? Is it useable? Can you navigate to where you enter your name and password, etc?

thx

6. madizzy

madizzy

no...i believe (and i'm no expert at all on this) that the website has to be set up so that the code/html/whatever is blackberry friendly. i would guess that glocktalk.com would come in as jumbled as hell, and you'd never be able to find where to login in, let alone find one forum from another.

if you're planning (or wanting) to use it for internet, i'd definitely go to your provider and test one first. that, or most companies offer a free look period. for t-mobile (who i have now, but i'm moving to cingular) it was 14 days. if it doesn't do the trick, i think you can take it back no questions asked/no cost.

i very, very rarely use mine on the internet. it came with 3 websites programmed into favorites (espn, a weather site, and cnn). like i said, the espn one is fairly navigator friendly if you just want to read the top stories of the day.

7. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Half of my GT surfing is done from my T-Mobile BB Pearl. The BB browser when set to IE emulation works great with GT and about 17 other forums I frequent. If it doesn't like a site, you can open it with Opera Mini! I also use my BB Pearl to sync my outlook on my home laptop and work computer. My work email and personal email are pushed to my 8100. I have google maps on it and use it daily. I just ordered and received a Jabra stereo earphone set for it for 9 bucks on eBay. I am picking up a 2GB transflash card for it to use the pearl as a 2GB mp3 player when biking/working out. Also on my list, is a GPS bluetooth puck. With the stock mapping software on the pearl, you can gps yourself to places. It has a decent camera, and a few other unique features.

I have modified mine with a hacked OS from a spanish service provider.

I know quite a bit about them if you have any questions. You can also visit pinstack.com and blackberryforums.com for a ton of info. Each has a pearl subforum.

8. Cochese

Hello from my pearl!

9. madizzy

madizzy

but was your post above this one from your pearl? i never thought that it "couldn't" be done, but it's much limited...

10. Cochese

You can do anything from the browser in the pearl that you can on a comp. :supergrin:

It just takes longer to type till you master the multitap qwerty keyboard.

11. powernoodle

powernoodle

Is this a browser that comes with the Pearl or an aftermarket flavor?

this is aftermarket, right?

Ok:

1 - can it be set to vibrate with no ringer?

2 - is there an email "ding" notification, and can it be muted?

3 - can ringer volume be changed?

4 - when surfing, do you see pics and graphics or just text?

5 - does it leave the email on your ISP's server so it can be accessed later from a desktop?

thanks

12. Cochese

13. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Can you do banking and pay bills on the thing?

What kind of monthly cost do you have with it?

It sounds like what I have been looking for.

Does it have to be a Pearl to do all of that stuff or are there other Blackberrys that do the same kind of things?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I am really interested in the smartphones and I want to get one.

14. powernoodle

powernoodle

Very soon Blackberry is releasing the 8800. It is essentially the same size as the Pearl (though 0.3" wider), has a real QWERTY keyboard and video cam. So perhaps I'll give that a look too.

cheers

15. powernoodle

powernoodle

16. Cochese

Sure can. You can also download the manual in pdf

17. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I have a BB 7100i and like it fine.

but

when I trade next year I will get an iPhone from apple. At least that is the plan so far.

I like it's looks and tech!

www.apple.com/iphone

18. powernoodle

powernoodle

I know this is variable, but whats the call quality like with the BB?

cheers