close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black & White or Color?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by DeadMansLife, Oct 28, 2006.

1. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

I have a few different editing programs that convert to black and white. I am just curious as to which works better for everyone else shoot color then edit or shoot B&W? I should have taken a few B&W's the ohter day.

Shot in color...

[​IMG]

Conver6ted to...

[​IMG]

This is newborn Lexi, 10/26/2006.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Adobe Photoshop Channel Mixer and Gradient Map offer the greatest control in conversion. It will be difficult however in this case, as the range of luminance is rather flat. Therefore, you won't get a lot of 3D feeling. The face has also some strange reddish noise that you should probably remove before attempting conversion to get a nice, smooth effect.

3. DeadMansLife

This pic was shot in a dim hospital room, lighting was through window blinds. ISO 400, no flash was used. Camera was a Sony Cyber-shot 6.0mp DSC-S600.

Not sure what you mean by noise but the reddish is the color her face really was. She was only about 3½ hours old.

The only editing I did to the pic was convert, and resized. I played with the contrast, color saturation, brightness and many other settings but did not save the changes. I really didn't like the results.

The software was MS digital Image Standard 2006. It is not a pro program like PS but the price was right. Right now I think the biggest issue I have is the desire to take pro-quility pics on a low budget. Both the camera and the software were free.

4. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

little bit of both...

[​IMG]

:supergrin:

if Lexi is your's..... CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

my favorite grandniece has the same name..

[​IMG]

5. DeadMansLife

Lexi is a freinds, mine is due in April.:banana:

Here is a version I did for the mother. She asked for 30 more for her friends and family. I am not happy with the results but my wife liked it and the mother loved it so I gave it to her.

[​IMG]

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Redish cast could be natural, but the noise in it is due to high ISO used with poor lighting. It always shows up in darker areas. Perhaps a touch of Noise Ninja might make your work easier in this case.

7. DTQ

DTQ c8h10n4o2 me

I vote for B&W.
    [​IMG]

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

B&W is fine, but I must admit that heavy grain doesn't do much for me in the face of a newborn. I also like B&W conversion that models as much as possible and accentuates features like lips. I think this would work for me better, but it's certainly far from perfect, and I make no pretenses that everyone might like that:

[​IMG]

Can you shoot a new one from a tripod with ISO 50? Might be easier to work with.

9. DeadMansLife

http://tinyurl.com/nqsy3

This is the camera I have. I won it in a contest at work. I also try to use as much freeware as possible due to a lack of funds for better equipment and software. I make do with what I have and can get free or very cheap. Slowest ISO I can get is 80. I have no tripod at this time and may be a while until I can get one.

I know I will not get pro quility pictures from this camera but I also know I can get very good pictures. With freeware I will be a bit limited but I can use several different programs to get the results I want.

Believe me, I would really like to have a 12 meg SLR and many goodies to go with it but I have an AR15 on the top of my want list right now. With one child and another on the way even the AR is not going to come soon.

What lead me here is the knowledge base and the info that may turn good shots into great shot.

I do appreicate the info everyone provides here.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

First of all, the top of the line camera and a $10K lens won't do crap if the person using it doesn't know what to do. I have shot great pictures with a $30 Polaroid 35mm point and shoot that were just as good as the same thing I did with my father's Nikon 2020 (I used them both side by side to prove to him that it wasn't the camera that made great pics).

According to the specs, this is 6MP, which is plenty. Use the OPTICAL zoom and avoid using the DIGITAL zoom. Anything the digital zoom can do in camera you can do on the computer better by cropping and enlarging. Set it for the highest image quality too.

I use Neat Image to reduce noise and you can get the demo for free, with limited features. I am sure I could do more with it but I have never upgraded the demo http://www.neatimage.com/

Take LOTS and LOTS of pics. They are digital. If you don't like them, delete. Practice will get you further than you think.

I don't think the grain does anything for the newborn baby's skin but at the same time I like the effect. Consider I like dark, grainy shots that most people don't like. But guess what? Everybody likes different things!

Play with ISOs. Learn what works in what lighting. Or, set the camera to full auto and check the exif to see what the camera selected on shots you liked. I often will switch over to full auto to see if the shot isn't happening or if I am just not nailing it, then keep trying if auto gets it.