Black Talons too old ?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by sig freak78, Mar 14, 2010.

1. sig freak78

sig freak78

Would you trust this ammo for edc? Stored properly but gotta be close to 20yrs old.

2. N/Apower

N/Apower

I wouldn't shoot it. It's a collector's item, legitimately worth close to $1 round due to this, and it's sub-par compared with modern JHPs. So keep it or sell it as a collector item.

3. granitemonkey

granitemonkey

Keep it and dont sell it or shoot it, the modern Ranger T is a FAR more advanced round.

4. sig freak78

sig freak78

5. rhino673

rhino673

I wouldn't use it. God forbid , you get into a shootout and kill someone with Black Talon ammo you'll open yourself up to being raked over the coals by the DA. Black Talon was long ago deemed "evil" ammo by the ignorant media and most of the sheeple out there believes it.

Edit: to answer your original question, no, it is no too old to shoot reliably. I reguarly shoot ammo from the 40's , 50's, and 60's.
    As a matter of fact I just shot about 100 rounds of 303 British last weekend and it was all 60's era stuff. It shot great!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  6. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

And using LEO ammo, such as the updated Ranger 'T' series wouldnt attract the same hype? LOL, please... :tongueout:

The Black Talon has become more of a nostaligic item, better saved for a rainy day. Dont get me wrong, they will still put a hurting on someone, just like any other ammo on the market, but there are better and more improved designs out there at a much lower cost.

BG

7. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

That was the point, the name Black Talon, got the media attention... the fact that it is was simply painted a different color and given a different name has escaped the simple-minded media, so they don't make the connection....

8. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

BT is worth too much money to shoot. I would go with a modern design like Ranger, Federal Tac, GD, or GSB.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

Aren't the non-Ranger SXTs the Same eXact Thing? I think they're sold in "Supreme" boxes now and they have nickel plated brass.

Edit: And I've seen Black Talons for as much as $3 a round at my local gun shows.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  10. BurkGlocker

No... The Supreme SXT has 8 skives on the bullet whereas the Ranger stuff has only 6 plus the 'talons'. And as far as I have seen the Supreme SXT stuff doesnt expand as much as even the WWB JHP stuff.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. hotpig

Supreme SXT has been replaced by the latest SXT variant the PDX1.

12. N/Apower

N/Apower

Yep, this variant actually has been tested in gel by Olin. They never tested the SXT because it wasn't LE ammunition, from what I heard. (Hearsay, take with a grain of salt.)

13. hotpig

The SXT was tested in jello but not to the FBI standard since it was not marketed to LE. The PDX1 was tested to the FBI standard and won the largest Federal LE contract in history in both 9mm and 40 cal.

14. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I recently had the same dilema, I had 20 rds of .40 Black talon in my EDC G-27 (Stock mag 9 rds, x-tra mag 10 rds and one up the pipe = 20RDS) Bought a new 20 rd box of Winchester PDX-1, and swapped them out. Put the BT in the 20 rd PDX box and put them on a closet shelf.

15. fredj338

fredj338

Not really, It's Black Talon w/o the black coating. Yes the jacket design was tweeked abit, but far more advanced, hardly.
    Original BT w/ the box will have more value to collectors than shooters.

16. hotpig

Ranger T is still a SXT design but still visibly different than the BT or the ST Supreme plus it does not have the black lubalux coat.

It is a redesign of the SXT so the talons differ as well as the cuts and jacket thickness are different than the old SXT ammo.

By changing the design the T-Series ammo is much less likely to repeat the failures of the old SXT such as over penetration and lack of expansion.

T-Series ammo does not rely solely on velocity to expand. That is why it performs well in sub compact and full size guns.

17. BurkGlocker

And the 165 gr .40 cal T-Series performs well in my G27... very well indeed...

18. VPD4327

VPD4327

oh I remember the "evil" bullet hype. I hate the media...that is all