Black mold

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Oct 22, 2015.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Long story cut short, I have a place with a black mold issue. I know I am highly allergic or whatever you call it. I ran an air filter there with a white filter for a couple days and it came back with a filter that was mostly black.

Here are the two dumb questions:
    1. Is there something I can spray on the areas with black mold that will cover and make this stuff die?
    2. Is there some kind of gas mask that I can buy to filter out the crap? ( I will need to be in the place for long enough that this stuff will take the wind out of me for two weeks after two days.)

2. JMS

JMS 02

Hire a company that specializes in mold remediation. The stuff can kill you and at the very least get you sick.

Wishoot, Glockgeezer, Willard and 2 others like this.

3. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Need more info. There are well over 100,000 types of mold. Everybody reacts differently to them.
    There are different protocols for remediation, depending on the type, how much there is, where it is, etc.

How much are you seeing and where are you seeing it? What is causing it?

4. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Air filters don't do anything except suck out the spores that are airborne. They don't address the source. Get yourself an ozone generator and run it in the room or area that the mold is in. You may have to give it multiple treatments, but it kills off the mold. I have one that can cover 3500 sf that I paid just over $100 for on Amazon.

Mold grows where it's too damp and too little air circulation. You may also need to get a dehumidifier to dry things out. Otherwise it's going to keep coming back.

If the mold is on a paintable surface, you can repaint using Killz primer before repainting. Of course you'll want to clean it up the best you can before repainting.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

How do you know it's stachybotrys?

Mold is a symptom of a moisture problem. It doesn't matter what you do to kill it, mold will continue to appear if the moisture level remains high.

More info is needed to advise.

6. BSA70

BSA70

No, there is nothing you can spray on it and kill it. If it is on wood, you can kill what is on the surface but what is below the surface and in the wood fibers will continue to live. The only way to stop it, is control the moisture in the air. A good dehumidifier may work. That will not kill it, just cause it to go dormate. It will never die, just sit there until the moisture comes back.

Been there done that. I had a mold problem in my attic due to not properly ventilated. Did a lot of research. I was lucky, mine was white mold. Yours will kill you.....

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

#blackmoldmatters

Someone had to.

8. RWBlue

I am ok with spraying something on the wood, concrete, drywall... that is impermeable.
    It maybe alive, but they can't get out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  9. RWBlue

LOL..

All mold matters.

10. RWBlue

I should say that I am really looking for a gas mask so I can go in and do the work cleaning out crap and not die (get sick) in the process.

11. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

12. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

No.

If you are really planning on screwing around with this stuff, you need a full face respirator. Your eyes will be one of the first things that are affected.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Remediation-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B00AR63SQA

You need to understand, mold can be a real problem. You do not build up a resistance to it, it gets worse every time you are exposed to it.

People are trying to help you. Give us more info on where you are seeing it.

13. certifiedfunds

This

I have certs in mold investigation and remediation and a degree in biology and chemistry behind them. If it's severe enough you need to seal off the area, pull neg pressure with hepa machines, remove the material it's growing on, hand wipe every surface, and bag everything. You need a full suit and mask to do this. After you do it, if you haven't fixed the moisture problem, it'll come right back

Some of these critters are an irritant. Some produce carcinogens. Black mold is fairly rare and only occurs with long term chronic moisture. There is no way you can tell its black mold by looking at it.

PVolk likes this.
  14. JMS

JMS 02

How do you treat it if you don't know exactly what kind of mold it is? If you want to pour yourself a new sidewalk it's ok if you screw up. If you screw this up, there can be long term consequences. Call your home owners insurance.

15. JMS

JMS 02

Seems like he's hell bent on DIY. I'd personally treat it the same way I would asbestos, call in the experts.

16. certifiedfunds

If it's to the point he's hinting at, the procedures are almost identical.

17. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

I had a friend who lived in an apartment with his family...

they had always been very healthy, but shortly after moving into this apartment, they all began having lots of illness, mostly respiratory type stuff. Come to find out that the whole complex was infected with some type of black mold, and it was so bad, they just ended up leveling the place and selling the land it was on. They had first tried to eliminate it, but they couldn't, something to do with the way the place was originally built. It is nasty stuff. Fix it right.

Paul53 likes this.
  18. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Seemed more like it's a case of going into a old server room or something that has mold issues to get whatever equipment or whatever stuff is in there and getting out, not so much fixing the mold problem? If it's to more than temporarily subduing the mold problem to empty the room then call in pros.

19. certifiedfunds

20. RWBlue

1. It isn't my home, so I can't call the home owners insurance and .... This limits my options.
    2. Second thing is, they are going to say you need to move this crap out of the way to get to the issue.
    3. Third thing is, they are going to say FIX the water pipes causing issues.
    4. Is going to be destruction (REMOVE the issue) and remodel.

Guess what, YOU NEED A WAY TO GET IN TO DO #1, #2, and #3.

It that means spraying primer on the walls to kill off (contain) the problem long enough to solve 1, 2, 3 then so be it.
    But to do that you need to get in there to spray the stuff.