close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Lab - itus!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Sgt Steve, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

In January of this year we decided to get a puppy. Our Burnese Mountain / Border Collie mix had to be put down at Christmas time due to lymphoma and we decided we couldn't be without a dog.

Like the previous family memeber dog we decided to go to a shelter...to help some dog find a home. We decided on a male Black Lab (90% lab anyhow)and he was the runt and only male in the litter. This is now his 3rd 8 week training session with the girl we used to help train our other dog. Nothing fancy, obedience, leash, agility, etc. He's fantastic! Full of play and very loving. Big for 9 months; somewhere in the mid 70's range and a little over 24" at the shoulder.

The only difficulty we have is - at times - he just decides he's had enough of training and obedience and he will not perform to commands or direction. He's not really destructive...he just turns juvinile. Most people tell us this is Lab itus and that's the way they are at a yound age.

We're not kids (in our 50's) so at times he's a little energy draining but he's a family member and we're patient. Looking for input from others with Lab itus!;Q

2. Supernatural

Supernatural

My GSD gets jealous if I give my kid time instead of him and he will "selectively hear" me when I give a command...I have had a black lab but had to find him a new home cause he was chewin' the siding off my house!! I heard labs are big on chewing but anywayz...sounds like a cool dog, just need to use the treats but firm voice and let him know you are in charge and he can't ignore you...my GSD listens to EVERYTHING I say but lately, when we're walking, he'll be a-sniffin and stuff and I'm like "Ruger, come", he will just keep sniffin'...I'm kinda having the same problem to tell you the truth so I guess I need advice too, LOL Must just be a "selective hearing" thingy ir somethin'...
    Ryan
    BTW, "Seargent Steve"...you still active? I'm US Navy active, just curious...

3. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Post Pics Sgt Steve!!!!!!!!!!

4. utah

utah

We have a 3 year old chocolate and to this day he still gets like that, not near as much as when he was a pup. When we were home we continued the training we did the day before, but we were training too long, should only train about 15 minutes at a time. Everybody told us we got the most active color of the three and that it would take 2 years before he calmed down, they weren’t kidding! As for him draining you, couple things you can do that won’t be as draining to you but will take the wind out of his sails. If there is water close that you can get him into, buy a retrieving tool of some sort and swim the poop out of him; half hour to hour. If no water close, then throw a ball, this will take longer than the swimming but as effective. We were also told to get him a “job”, at first we weren’t sure what we could get him to do, so we started with getting the newspaper. That took awhile before I got a paper that was readable, 2 months. We then went for getting our tennis shoes; needless to say, this one took along time also. Hang in there it will be worth it in the end, just takes a lot of training and patients. He's my Avatar at about 6 months, now 110lbs. and thinks he's a lap dog.

5. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

My ignorance...GSD? The lady (girl) that we worked with to train our other dog is working with us on Loot. The trainer, aka Linda, is very good and is not a muckety muck trainer but very good at shows, agility, etc. She tells us Loot is a Black Lab, young, male, big, strong, and he is being what should be expected at this point. Trust me we do all we can...EXCEPT for...exercise. We both work and sometimes it's impossible to get him all the 'cise he needs!

Biggest gripe is jumping up and "mouthing"...someone told me..."he's a Lab, what do you think they are taught to do, mouth!

As for pics I nixed off all I had, I'll have to get some. He is a really handsome Lab! I'll tell ya' you would think he had the fur or coat of a mink! I've never seen so great a coat on a dog, any kind. He's a lean lab, not real blocky but quick and agile. He jumps like a darn kangaroo!

How old is the GSD? I keep thinking of the saying about dog and horse trainers: "the handler gets the horse/dog that they deserve". I guess that means it's up to the trainer. THere are so many little things that can cause a mixed message to the dog or horse. On the other hand I guess if they are under 2 years old we can consider that what we have is a junenile!!!!!!!!

6. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

Utah,thanks. I/we keep hearing that, be patient! We're trying, we love the dog...because he is lovable! Our trainer did say "a Lab is a Lab is a Lab and he'll take a lot of patience and training". We thought "...what could be so tough"? I know we won't give up. Every do we've had we got from a shelter; we like to know we're helping a dog that otherwise may have a very short life.

No pond close and we throw the hell out of balls, sticks, rags, dolls, little stuffed ducks, bones, anything! Unbelievable energy and strength! Like the bunny with the batteries. Crazy thing: he travels like a gentleman. He will go in that crate, stop every hour or two to have a break, get back in, no fussing, no whining, no barking, great. I'll have to think of the job thing. Good idea! Occupation! I like it.

7. utah

utah

As for the jumping and mouthing, both are easy to “nip on the butt”. Our lab did the same thing and our trainer told us to use one of the chock chain collars, which we were against, really against. She came over one night and watched us use it like a hawk. As a matter of fact she wanted us to try it on ourselves before we used it on Utah, our thigh not neck. One of the best things we have done, we only had to “snap” him three times before he stopped jumping, best money ever spent. Every time we “snapped” him we praised him to no end, the trainer mentioned this is a BIG help. The mouthing took a little longer and was done without the chain collar. We did it by petting him, as he would start to mouth us we stopped petting him and said “NO”, at the same time standing up, crossing our arms and turning our back to him. The only person that needs to do this is the person whom is getting mouthed. Took awhile before he figured out what he was doing wrong, month little more/less. If you don’t want to use the chain collar you can us the same method for the jumping, just takes longer. Another thing you can do with jumping is to put him on his back while saying “NO”, keep him there until his eye look away from you, then release him, BUT DO NOT PRAISE HIM.

8. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

utah, thanks! Some real good input. Just Monday evening the trainer told us about a choke chain and we wanted to avoid that but he's getting too big and the habit is getting unruly so I do believe we'll get one and try it. Good thoughts! Now you're not talking about a prong collar, right?

Can you explain "snap"? I'm guessing you mean you gave it a quick jerk? Used a leash as well or just grabbed the collar?

I like the "no and cross the arms an turn your back" thing too. We've done the "gain his attention in another direction thing" but that appears as a praise! So the back is good.

Utah, I'll tell ya'...I've tried the back thing and - just like our trainer had said - he's not a mean dog but he has a constitution like the one that was signed in Philadelphia! I'll try another method.

Again, thanks.

9. utah

utah

Correct, not the prong collar; however our trainer said that is a good one to use, because you do not have to pull as hard. Yes quick jerk, very quick. Use with a leash and try to do it towards his side, less likely to hurt him. If he’s anything like ours you will be amazed how little it takes to get his attention that he is not suppose to be jumping. The first time we snapped him, the look on his face was priceless (WHAT IN THE HECK WAS THAT FOR!?!?!), hasn’t jumped in 2 years. Ours is really strong willed, not dominate, but STRONG willed so we had to work with him.

Just a note of caution: There is a right and wrong way to put the collar on, want it to get tight with the pull and release. If you are unsure how to use one your trainer should be able to get you going in the right direction. It’s a little hard to explain in writing, but I’ll give it a try if need be.

10. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

Utah, yeah, lay it out if you can. Using a starting point of ...let's say..."facing the Lab........

I figured this may help. I guess too if we can consider looking at the choke chain as if it were a "6" or a "9" in relation to how we're facing the dog I could get the correct idea. Thanks for the advice.

11. utah

utah

If you walk him on YOUR left then it should look like a P. Facing him the “tail” “live” end would be on YOUR left.

If you walk him on YOUR right lower case Q (q). Facing him the “tail” “live” end would be on YOUR right.

The reason for this is if you have him set up to walk on your left and he is walking on your right, the collar will tighten if you snap him and not release. This you do not want, as it can cause injury.

The “live” ring is the one on the “tail” that connects to the leash and the “dead” ring is the one that the chain is dropped through to make the collar. Once you get one and look at it you should be able to figure out how they work. Place it on your left arm and pull on the live end and release it should loosen, if not it’s on backwards. Like I mentioned it’s a little hard to write out, but once you see it you’ll understand. Hope this helps.

12. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

Like Joe Pesci said in Lethal Weapon...."ok, ok, ok". Seriously, I believe I understand but let me voice it back the way I understand it.

So, Loot (our Lab)and I are walking down the path, Loot is on my left, ...looking at us as we walk away (kinda walking through this screen into the middle of nothing!

/^\

__-----------(leash) ( me here walking)
    O
    (dog walking)

so the live end of the chain (solid line above)is attached to the leash (dotted line) and I'm holding the leash on my left side walking into the middle of the screen like the little arrow depicts! The circle above the "(dog walking)" is the choke chain around his neck and then the solid line is the live end. I think I have it.

Question: does it make any difference if the chain is looped like
    ___
    O or should it be like this O___. still looking from behind us. WOuld the ring that the live end is passing thru be on the "top" or the "bottom"?

I can pretty much understand the left and right side (I think!) because what we want is the live end of the chain going straight thru the loop of the dead end and NOT back Over the dead end, right?

This is about as imaginative as I can get! Thanks again.

13. utah

utah

Try this. Take a piece of string and put a small loop “dead” ring in it. Now take the loose “live” end and pass it through the small loop. Holding up the “collar” (you just made) it should look like a lower case Q (q). Now place your left arm through it, think of your wrist as Loot’s neck and the rest of your arm his body. The “dead” ring is down, now if you pull on the live end you will notice that it tightens and as soon as you release the collar loosens up. Now that I look at this I told you wrong the first time. The Q is for the left and the P for the right. When in doubt take, think of your arm as Loot and place the collar on the arm that he will be walking next too. Remember every time you release the leash the chain should loosen. Does this help? I wouldn’t recommend walking with the collar on, they can put themselves out of it, hard to do but can be done.

14. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

utah, we're getting there! OK. I think when you said the dead loop was down that helped. So the dead ring is ... like at 4 or 5 o'clock (or the bottom) instead of at 1 or 2 o'clock (or the top)? Right?

15. utah

utah

Correct both rings are going to be at the bottom they are the heaviest part and will go there on their own. Just remember it needs to loosen after you have snapped him.

P.S. I won't be checking this much more tonight, I'll look in the morning. Let me know if I can help anymore.

16. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Sgt Steve,
    Let me see if I can help clarify this for you: looking at the dog, make a P with the chain and slide it over his head. The slack end(live ring) should be coming from the top. Walk the dog on your left side and this should work out for you. A good way to test this is give the leash a light tug and it should release back to the slack position if it doesn't its on backwards.
    As far as him jumping up, lift your leg up so your knee catches him in the chest and give a large "NO" and turn away from him and go about your business. A little more advanced technique is too get a water pistol and fill it with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water and squirt him in the face when he jumps. Dont worry if a little gets in his eyes, it will sting for second but he will be fine.
    If you need anything else post in the "Ask a Trainer" thread that is stickied.
    Congrats on a new family member!!!:) ;c ;f

17. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

G20 man, utah,

G, don't want to sound like a girlie man but we did that knee thing with our last dog (she was great, Burnese Mountain/Border Collie)and vet told us she seen dogs experience cracked ribs from doing that, I dunno? Did the squirt gun thing and it does work temporarily but maybe it's the lab thing, it kinda' wore off!
    OK, back to this "ring thing". Live end is attached to a leash if you use a leash...but the dead end ring...q's and p's...I'm feelin' dense here. Is the dead ring located nearer the top of the dogs neck or hanging more near the bottom? It's gotta' be me!
    As for the "cross the arms". Yeah! That's working! He's kinda' like "...where did you guys go, I"m still here looking to jump or mouth". We're on our way hopefully.
    Something else we're trying and I think this was our fault in the first place; when he's quiet as in just laying on the rug or whatever we no longer "bother" him by talking to him, etc. We leave him alone. I think we were giving him so much attention that he wondered why we weren't paying attention all the time.
    You know, this can be frustrating but if you're a dog lover you want it to be better for you and the dog.
    thanks!

18. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Hey Sarge,
    Did you try the white vinegar in with the water correction??
    If yes then you could try a noise correction as well... And dont worry about breakin ribs, that boy is 3x stronger than you are. Labs are fantastic but unless you are really trying you are not going to hurt them.
    I found a pic of a necklace that might help you out with this choker thing, If you make the "P" with the choker on a table (just like the pic) I think you should be able to figure it out. Btw DONT do a google image search for "choker chain". lol I was shocked at what came up and I consider myself pretty experienced in life.;f
    [​IMG]
    After making yours look like the picture stand up and and face the dog and slide it over his head so the live ring(slack ring) is on his right and is coming from the top.
    Here is another pic of my dog wearing one. NOTE this is not his choker... lol
    [​IMG]

19. utah

utah

We were told about the vinegar and water correction also. However our lab would live in water if we let him, after the second time of squirting him in the face it stopped working and the only thing we had then was a wet dog/vinegar smelled. I’ll second the noise correction. Utah had a bad habit of getting on the counter tops (front paws) and getting anything on it as well. We got a yellow waffle bat and every time he got on the counter we’d slap the bat in the counter, took about a week, but worked great, hasn’t done it since.

20. Sgt Steve

Sgt Steve

Thanks again!

I did the water thing but not with vinegar, I'll do it because the plain water just makes him look and say "...what are you doing with that goofy squirter bottle?"!

I did have the choke on correctly and you're correct...all you have to do is put it on and you can see when the pressure is off...the ring slips loose, great.

Noise correction; duh, we did it on the counter tops as well (small pan on the edge of the counter and every time he put his head and paws on the counter we'd "drop" the pan)and why I didn't do it here...I dunno!

Supernatural; nope, no longer active U.S.M.C. but always U.S.M.C.