Black Hawk Down- Too hard to watch.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbhracing, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

BHD is making its run on cable. I loved the movie the first time, but just cant watch it much in re-runs. It really bothers me to see our American soldiers being held up in remote location, bleeding wounded, the constant swarm of people attacking the crew of the black hawk and the running out of ammo. I know thats war in real life, just sucks we have to play "World Police" anyways.

I know its just a movie, but I am sure several points are accurate. Thanks for letting me vent, it really does bother me.

:wavey:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

I agree with you, great movie and hard to watch. Friend of mine was in Somolia, was in the Marines though.

3. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

Its actually pretty accurate, considering its a movie. Stayed pretty true to the book, which was very well researched and written.

Members of my unit were tagged by DOD to participate in the filming (DOD actually vetted the script, and provided actual Rangers, 160th aircrews and equipment, etc to ensure authenticity). I didn't get to go on that trip, darn it! But it is interesting to see some familiar faces on the big screen.

If you get the chance, rent the DVD and watch the bonus features on the making of the film.....good stuff in there.

4. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Try living it.

As our troops do most every day.

Then have your General apologize for, and the local govt berate you for the loss of innocent lives, because the enemy uses them as/for shields. I'm sure every trooper decries the loss of innocent lives.................but man.

5. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Good call, I might as well just buy it since the local Hollywood Video is going out of business.

6. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Agreed. There are a couple of movies like this. Great movies, but just drain me to watch them.

(BHD, The Passion of the Christ, Shindler's List are a few)

7. engineer151515

engineer151515

<<< feels the same way about the Omaha Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan.

And I'll go one step further.

The History channel's WW2 in HDTV series can be very tough to watch.

The anger just boils up.

edit to add - God bless our troops.

8. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

My buddy in the 160th said they made him watch that movie a bunch of times as a teaching tool.

on a seperate issue, if the gubmint tells you they are vetting a movie script to ensure accuracy, do you believe them? You dont have to respond, I dont want to derail the thread, just wondering if you had said that out loud to yourself and thought about it.

edit to add: Im not detracting from this particular story in any way.

9. GLOCKLOVER74

GLOCKLOVER74 NRA MEMBER

One of my high school friends was there. It was his friend who fell from the copter at the beginning. My friends name is Anton Berendsen. I saw him on the history channel doing an interview about it with his buddies.

10. Line Rider

Line Rider

You need to read "Blackhawk Down". Please don't speed read it. It's a very emotional book. It will tell you about the bravery of all the soilders who were in the field and back on base, esp the part where the Ranger had the RPG throught him.

After you finish BHD, you'll want to read "In the Company of Heroes" by CWO 4(ret.) Michael Durant. Durant fills in some of the missing part that Bowden missed or did not cover. I don't think you will have a warm fuzzy for the Somali people after reading both books.

11. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

That was due to piss poor Leadership. Should of had a couple of Specter Gun ships in the air. And a few tanks. THANK GOD that SOB didn't get elected president. He would have been as bad a BARRY SOETORO...

12. Line Rider

Line Rider

The soilder was fall out of the blackhawk was Todd Blackburn. Blackburn survived with no medical problems. He later became a policeofficer in Fla.

13. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Many have forgotten that months earlier MG William F. Garrison, the Commander of Operation Gothic Serpent and a courageous warrior, had asked for tanks. President Clinton refused him because he didn't want to "escalate" the situation in Somalia. Had General Garrison received his tanks the events (and 18 hour ordeal) leading to the movie would never have occurred.

While the movie was basically accurate and if anything, underplays the courage of U.S troops involved, it left out the role played by Pakistan's Seventh Frontier Force Regiment, brave fighters who actually extracted trapped U.S. troops from the Madina Bazaar.

14. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

Fair question.

My stating the government "vetted" the movie was aimed solely at BHD. Maybe I said it wrong........DOD approved the script before providing the personnel and equipment. I think that's fair. Supporting the movie sends the message that the movie has the approval of the military. And from a financial standpoint, its not inexpensive to ship a bunch of our best guys and equipment halfway around the world to film a movie. I'm pretty sure DOD didn't want to pledge support to a movie with a crappy script/inaccurate plot.

Regarding BHD, I've read the book (have you? not a jab, just curious). The book wasn't vetted by anyone other than the author and his proofreaders. The movie didn't change any of the major events or overall theme of the book, unlike some other "based on the book by" stuff I've seen.

I've met Mike Durant (the pilot who was captured), and know several others who participated in the battle. In fact, several of the pilots and aircrew who participated in the filming were in Somalia in 93, and were direct participants in the battle. All the folks I know with firsthand knowledge of the events stated that movie was pretty true to reality.

So, to answer your question "if the gubmint tells you they are vetting a movie script to ensure accuracy, do you believe them?". In this case, absolutely.

15. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Can't watch it again either. Tears my heart out.

16. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

I remember at the time the administration was always concerned with "the size of foot print" different operations would require. Everytime there was talk of military action to be taken by US in some lawless hell-hole there was great consideration given to "maintaining a small foot print". That wussy-a** doctrine got those boys killed. The more lawless an area, the bigger and badder you go in. Then blow the living "blankity-blank" out of anyone that even looks like they want to shoot you. It's called establishing order. Like an earlier post I remember commanders repeatedly stating a much bigger presence was need from the on set. Then the whole "small foot print" slogan would come out.

17. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

I have problems watching the movie also. As much as I despise Bill Clinton, he didn't send tanks or AC-130's because his SecDef Les Aspin told him they weren't needed. Aspin took full blame for not sending them armor and resigned. The 'Little Birds' saved their bacon that night.

18. chuckman

chuckman

Oddly, in December 1992, when the Marines came ashore, they had liberal support of and application of gunships (helo's), snipers, and some atty. Their operation, while a strategic failure, was a tactical success. I don't know if this was because Bush (the elder, of course) sent them, or of other factors.

What happened during Gothic Serpent wasn't the sole failure of political leadership. There were many tactical failures that were attributable to the mil, too. People jump on the politicians (fairly, though...they own the mess by not providing CAS, armor, and intel), but the mil contribued to the mission's failure.

19. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Basically, I agree with you. The whole idea behind having "Combat Power" is to employ it so decisively, so overwhelmingly, that your force rings the enemy's bell so hard that he would never, ever condsider fighting you again.

20. Jon_R

Jon_R

We don't have to play World Police. People who will not be shot at decide to commit people who don't have a say. It should be limited to situations that have an actual impact on our national interest IMO. Because a situation is sad does not warrant commitment of resources.