GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
Still the truth.
There is zero truth in judging someone based on appearances. I'm pretty sure black people alone validate that argument.

Is he a good teacher? Is he smart? Articulate? Respectful?

Just because someone disagrees with his choice to ink up doesn't take away human decency and respect in this country. I'm sorry you seem to want to judge people by their looks, but that's not how normal, polite, decent society works in real life.

·
Registered
13,888 Posts
Pretty much... a totally unsolicited comment made for no reason other than to make someone else feel bad.

But hey... its the truth.
Well you forgot to answer my question in your haste to diss me. So do you have anyone on your rig that looks like that? If not, why?? Again, if that was an actual conversation it might have been an asshat thing to say (like the guy hasn't heard it before) but still the truth and some people are pretty blunt about it. The guy did all that to make a statement, well people are talking about it. I'm betting that guy's skin isn't as thin as some folks here.

Is your mom a fatty?

Reactions: jd4223

·
Registered
13,888 Posts
There is zero truth in judging someone based on appearances. I'm pretty sure black people alone validate that argument.

Just because someone disagrees with his choice to ink up doesn't take away human decency and respect in this country. I'm sorry you seem to want to judge people by their looks, but that's not how normal, polite, decent society works in real life.
Holy crap, have you not heard of - looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck?? We make judgments every day on people's appearances. If you were hiring for a professional position and the applicant came in wearing shorts and a tshirt, would you not make a judgement? It's 10pm and you are by yourself and a guy in hoodie approaches you, what do you think??

I'm not against tattoos (though I don't have any), I'm against people choosing to make themselves out to be a freak show. Is he a good teacher? I dunno but I sure wouldn't want him teaching my kids if I had any. I also wouldn't want a guy that calls himself a girl teaching my kids either. Oh I don't have kids for the record.

Normal polite decent society? Do you get out much?

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
Normal polite decent society? Do you get out much?
Yes, I do. And outside of THE INTERNET, MOST people behave themselves in a respectful manner. That is, unless you're waiting in line at a bank, I guess....

Obviously, someone thought he was qualified enough for the job, because he got it. If you ask me, your ire should be taken up with them, rather than with the guy who beat all other applicants for the job.

Because if HE got the job.....how bad were the other applicants?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Yes, I do. And outside of THE INTERNET, MOST people behave themselves in a respectful manner. That is, unless you're waiting in line at a bank, I guess....

Obviously, someone thought he was qualified enough for the job, because he got it. If you ask me, your ire should be taken up with them, rather than with the guy who beat all other applicants for the job.

Maybe he got the job before he got the tattoos. The picture of him without visible tattoos doesn’t look that old. Although that may be hard to judge.

Someone mentioned something about be black and being judged. Being born black is not ones choice. It is not a measure of their judgement. Tattoos are a choice. Choices have consequences. So if he had Swaztika tattoo on his forehead, would you judge based on appearances? What if an applicant came in with blackface makeup? Would you judge?

Don’t lie.

·
Registered
13,888 Posts

Again, we disagree on a lot of stuff. See my very first post in this thread. I stated the indoctrination in education started a long time ago so it really doesn't matter if he got a teaching job. Ire? I am just commenting in this thread. Again I don't have kids. Now would I want this guy to watch my dog? Nope.

People behave themselves in a respectful manner? Since when? 25 years working directly with the public has taught me otherwise. Again, would I have said that in the bank? Nope, but it still is the truth and if he said it, he only said what everyone else was thinking, well except you and Lampshade who are pure in thought and tolerant of everyone well except those that disagree with you. I think we call that hypocrisy.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I never got a tattoo when in the military, my reasoning was what ever I put on was with me for life. Remember seeing a lot of WW-II Vets who got their body are in the 1940's. Buy the 1970 it was most bout rf, and I wonder what it look like.

If you swim in the ocean, or a pool, or sun worship, your tattoos will fade.

·
Registered
503 Posts
When I made that comment I seriously thought the carnival was in town. When he asked me why I said that to him I honestly answered him. Who in their right mind would willingly alter their appearance like that if they were not in some kind of a freak show. I guess he was upset that the attention he was seeking wasn't positive. When you cry out to the public "Hey look at me" don't be upset if you don't always get a positive reaction. Kind of like the guy in the car who plays his music so loud that every body within a block radius can hear it,then gets upset when somebody tells him to turn it down.

·
Registered
26,188 Posts

Sorry, we all judge people by their appearances. Many, if not most folks, are flexible enough to modify their opinion as more information is about the person is revealed.

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
Maybe he got the job before he got the tattoos. The picture of him without visible tattoos doesn’t look that old. Although that may be hard to judge.

Someone mentioned something about be black and being judged. Being born black is not ones choice. It is not a measure of their judgement. Tattoos are a choice. Choices have consequences. So if he had Swaztika tattoo on his forehead, would you judge based on appearances? What if an applicant came in with blackface makeup? Would you judge?

Don’t lie.
Black face is an offensive racist caricature of a stereotype. I see nothing offensive about this guy's tattoos.....outlandish, yes, but not offensive. I wouldn't have them in such a manner, but I see nothing inherently offensive about his tattoos overall. Poor example on your part.

Again, we disagree on a lot of stuff. See my very first post in this thread. I stated the indoctrination in education started a long time ago so it really doesn't matter if he got a teaching job. Ire? I am just commenting in this thread. Again I don't have kids. Now would I want this guy to watch my dog? Nope.

People behave themselves in a respectful manner? Since when? 25 years working directly with the public has taught me otherwise. Again, would I have said that in the bank? Nope, but it still is the truth and if he said it, he only said what everyone else was thinking, well except you and Lampshade who are pure in thought and tolerant of everyone well except those that disagree with you. I think we call that hypocrisy.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Wait, aren't you a cop? Forgive me if I don't take seriously someone whose very job is to deal with the extremes of our society. You deal with the exception, not the norm.

Sorry, we all judge people by their appearances. Many, if not most folks, are flexible enough to modify their opinion as more information is about the person is revealed.
Really? Judging by the comments here, you could have fooled me.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Black face is an offensive racist caricature of a stereotype. I see nothing offensive about this guy's tattoos.....outlandish, yes, but not offensive. I wouldn't have them in such a manner, but I see nothing inherently offensive about his tattoos overall. Poor example on your part.
You brought up being black, not me. We are talking about judging on appearances. It is reasonable to judge people on appearance as it reflects on their decision making. Being black isn't a decision, so there is nothing to judge. Wearing blackface is a decision. So it is reasonable to judge their decision making for showing up that way. A Swaztika is also an ancient Buddhist symbol, as well as a positive symbol in several other cultures. So maybe it isn't offensive. So you have to judge based on information as you gain it, about their decision making.

My examples were spot on, as my point was about appearance being reflective of decision making. That is what interviews are about, in my business. Maybe you only worry about whether someone's appearance is offensive. Even if someone is never seen by customers, their decision making matters.

Do you make hiring decisions?

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
My examples were spot on, as my point was about appearance being reflective of decision making. That is what interviews are about, in my business. Maybe you only worry about whether someone's appearance is offensive. Even if someone is never seen by customers, their decision making matters.
So don't hire him if you are worried about appearances. As I said before, someone obviously thought that he was qualified for the job, otherwise I highly doubt that he would have received it.

Sorry, but I find this correlation between their appearances and their job performance to be weak sauce. I may not agree with their tattoo decisions, but ultimately I'm most concerned about how they work, rather than how they look. I've worked jobs around people with lots of tattoos, and they were great at their jobs. Were they as extreme as this guy? No. But nobody gave two dingleberries about their ink either. My own father is inked up, and he's an executive-class business man who is the hardest worker I've ever known.

Look, I'm not saying that this guy didn't take things to the extreme....he did, most certainly. But he got a chance, and he obviously impressed enough people with his performance that he's still teaching. ONE child, if I'm recalling that article correctly, was frightened by his appearance. Understandable, perhaps, but still only one child.

What do all of the other kids think? And more importantly, their parents? That should be the starting yardstick for measuring his success. Not his looks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I don’t know much, but I know an alien when I see one.

Surgically modified eyes my keester. He just got tired of wearing the makeup and eye covers to look like one of us.

ETA- Didn’t anybody ever watch Twilight zone or One Step Beyond?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
So don't hire him if you are worried about appearances. As I said before, someone obviously thought that he was qualified for the job, otherwise I highly doubt that he would have received it.

Sorry, but I find this correlation between their appearances and their job performance to be weak sauce. I may not agree with their tattoo decisions, but ultimately I'm most concerned about how they work, rather than how they look. I've worked jobs around people with lots of tattoos, and they were great at their jobs. Were they as extreme as this guy? No. But nobody gave two dingleberries about their ink either. My own father is inked up, and he's an executive-class business man who is the hardest worker I've ever known.

Look, I'm not saying that this guy didn't take things to the extreme....he did, most certainly. But he got a chance, and he obviously impressed enough people with his performance that he's still teaching. ONE child, if I'm recalling that article correctly, was frightened by his appearance. Understandable, perhaps, but still only one child.

What do all of the other kids think? And more importantly, their parents? That should be the starting yardstick for measuring his success. Not his looks.
You keep saying the bolded but you do not know whether he had the tattoos when he was hired. Someone starting to tattoo themselves to this extreme, may be an indicator of other changes in his life. I can see why this would cause some concern.

Of course, appearances are an indicator of decision making skills that affect ones performance. Does it mean that everyone that has tattoos is a bad decision maker? Of course, not. My wife has a tattoo and is a very good decision maker, but it is not all over her face. Your executive dad, is his face covered in tattoos? In some fields, no one cares. In a lot of professional fields, it matters. Given two candidates or roughly equal skills and experience, and one has their face covered in tattoos, and the other does not, which do you choose? In my field, the one without face tattoos. They have not considered the long term ramifications of their decisions. I don't need someone that doesn't consider long term ramifications.

How many family doctors do you know with successful practices do you know that have full head and face tattoos? How many trial lawyers? Police Officers?

In states where you can't do a criminal history check, or ask about their criminal history in hiring, do you choose the guy with teardrop tattoos, or the guy without one?

Based on your non-answer I take you don't make hiring decisions.

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,439 Posts
I was standing in line at the bank when a person looking like the guy with the tatts entered the bank. Every one kept staring at the guy and whispered to each other about the guy. When the guy got in line several of the customers ahead of him let the guy go in front of them. The guy ended up behind me. He was polite and said hi to me and we started exchanging conversation. Then I asked the guy in a loud enough voice so the other people in line could hear me "So where's the carnival being set up" The guy became upset and wanted to know why I asked him that. I looked straight in his face without missing a beat and said"It's obvious by your appearance that you're part of the carnival show,that know one with basic common sense would deliberately alter their appearance to look like some freak in a side show just to get attention,so where's the carnival at?" Every one in line started laughing and the guy left the bank...
Seems kind of junior high school-ish. Had I been in that line I wouldn't have laughed. Those tattoos repulse me but I don't comment on all the things that do.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
You keep saying the bolded but you do not know whether he had the tattoos when he was hired. Someone starting to tattoo themselves to this extreme, may be an indicator of other changes in his life. I can see why this would cause some concern.
This is BS, and you know it. Please don't try to insult my intelligence here.....this kind of body work takes YEARS to accumulate. You really think that last year he was pale-skinned and ink-free, yet this year he looks like a music video? If even 70% of his body was covered in ink when he was hired, it would have been very noticeable. Yet, someone still hired him. Do you honestly think that if he was hired let's say 10 years ago and he was ink-free, that nobody would have said anything about his changing appearance over a 10 year period? We're just now hearing about this guy because one child was scared.....what about last year? The year before? The year before that?

Like I said....a weak sauce argument.

Of course, appearances are an indicator of decision making skills that affect ones performance.
And yet, you know nothing about his performance. Therefore, it is a mute point.

Your executive dad, is his face covered in tattoos?
No. A large tattoo on his back, tattoos on both arms, and one tattoo on his leg.

Given two candidates or roughly equal skills and experience, and one has their face covered in tattoos, and the other does not, which do you choose?
It depends on a lot of factors: type of job, individual skills, job history, work performance history, his or hers ability to get along with fellow co-workers and management, and whether their personal life interferes with their ability to work, among many things.

Let's use the example given here: a teacher. Now I've never hired a teacher, but if I did, I imagine I would look at the above, but more importantly, I would look at his history with kids and determine whether he has alienated many kids with his appearance, or whether kids like him because of it. Liking a teacher is a huge step in developing a child's ability to learn....I had an English teacher in junior high who was VERY charismatic, Randy Cate, and I still remember him to this day because he made class fun. He didn't have any visual tattoos, but I find it difficult to believe that I would have cared at the time if he did. I can't even remember who my math teachers were.

So does he resonate with students? What is his teaching curriculum history? What are his plans for teaching students now, and how is he going to implement these plans going forward? How good is his ability to adapt and change his curriculum if things don't work? How well does he reach out to individual students who struggle?

I would also look at how well he deals with adversity because of his appearance. How does he respond to teasing or other challenges that come with working in a public setting around students? Does he have the ability to keep his cool? Does he continue to have an optimistic outlook? Does he have the ability to brush off criticisms and teasing from students about his appearance? In fact, I find this to be one of THE most important qualifications....those adults that wish to teach children who are strong of character do not let a child's teasing get to them. I knew a teacher, my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. K, who couldn't hack it and screamed, cried, and cursed at her students on a daily basis. She was not strong of character. At all.

And these are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. If he meets this and other criteria, then I see no reason why he should not be considered for the position he is applying for.

How many family doctors do you know with successful practices do you know that have full head and face tattoos? How many trial lawyers? Police Officers?
Speaking for myself, if they can heal me of ills, defend me in court, or protect my community, with professionalism, then I don't give a flying rip what is on their skin, as long as it is not racist or bigoted. If you're a doctor, then tattoo your balls for all I care.....just diagnose my illness and give me medicine.

Based on your non-answer I take you don't make hiring decisions.
And based on your answers, you have already made up your mind about the guy, without even speaking to him. I can't help you with that I'm afraid.

Again.....I'm not suggesting that he didn't go extreme.....look at him sideways if you want. Nor am I saying that his lifestyle choices would be the same as mine. But from a teaching perspective, how is he performing his job? Obviously he's doing something right if he still has a job.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
This is BS, and you know it. Please don't try to insult my intelligence here.....this kind of body work takes YEARS to accumulate. You really think that last year he was pale-skinned and ink-free, yet this year he looks like a music video? If even 70% of his body was covered in ink when he was hired, it would have been very noticeable. Yet, someone still hired him. Do you honestly think that if he was hired let's say 10 years ago and he was ink-free, that nobody would have said anything about his changing appearance over a 10 year period? We're just now hearing about this guy because one child was scared.....what about last year? The year before? The year before that?

Like I said....a weak sauce argument.

And yet, you know nothing about his performance. Therefore, it is a mute point.

No. A large tattoo on his back, tattoos on both arms, and one tattoo on his leg.

It depends on a lot of factors: type of job, individual skills, job history, work performance history, his or hers ability to get along with fellow co-workers and management, and whether their personal life interferes with their ability to work, among many things.

Let's use the example given here: a teacher. Now I've never hired a teacher, but if I did, I imagine I would look at the above, but more importantly, I would vest his history with kids and determine whether he has alienated many kids with his appearance, or whether kids like him because of it. Liking a teacher is a huge step in developing a child's ability to learn....I had an English teacher in junior high who was VERY charismatic, Rady Cate, and I still remember him to this day because he made class fun. He didn't have any visual tattoos, but I find it difficult to believe that I would have cared at the time if he did. I can't even remember who my math teachers were.

So does he resonate with students? What is his teaching curriculum history? What are his plans for teaching students now, and how is he going to implement these plans going forward? How good is his ability to adapt and change his curriculum if things don't work? How well does he reach out to individual students who struggle?

I would also vest how well he deals with adversity because of his appearance. How does he respond to teasing or other challenges that come with working in a public setting around students? Does he have the ability to keep his cool? Does he continue to have an optimistic outlook? Does he have the ability to brush off criticisms and teasing from students about his appearance? In fact, I find this to be one of THE most important qualifications....those adults that wish to teach children who are strong of character do not let a child's teasing get to them. I knew a teacher, my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. K, who couldn't hack it and screamed, cried, and cursed at her students on a daily basis. She was not strong of character. At all.

And these are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. If he meets this and other criteria, then I see no reason why he should not be considered for the position he is applying for.

Speaking for myself, if they can heal me of ills, defend me in court, or protect my community, with professionalism, then I don't give a flying rip what is on their skin, as long as it is not racist or bigoted. If you're a doctor, then tattoo your balls for all I care.....just diagnose my illness and give me medicine.

And based on your answers, you have already made up your mind about the guy, without even speaking to him. I can't help you with that I'm afraid.

Again.....I'm not suggesting that he didn't go extreme.....look at him sideways if you want. Nor am I saying that his lifestyle choices would be the same as mine. But from a teaching perspective, how is he performing his job? Obviously he's doing something right if he still has a job.
We have a picture of him before and after, he does not look 10 years older. You don't know either.

I say two equivalent people, and you didn't answer the question. You went off on a tangent to not answer the question.

On the doctor, lawyer, officer, I didn't ask if YOU cared. I asked if you had seen many. The answer is no.

It is not about whether I think he any good. That is not my point. My point is that appearance matters when you go to interview. It does give you evidence of their decision making skills. I have interviewed and hire a lot of people, you haven't. I understand there are often more than one person that can do a good job when they get to me in the interview process, otherwise they would not have made it that far. So given roughly similar people, you look at other things that tell you about their decision making skills. Lots of face tattoos, tell you something. Looking at their LinkedIn profile and the kinds of things they post. Look at their public Facebook, do they post a lot of drunken or high pictures, or other pictures doing stupid things? Yes, all of that affects you. If you don't realize that, or don't think it matters, you are mistaken.

Before you interview for you next job, you might want to look at your public image and decide if that will help you get a better job. I am not saying you can't get a better job with poor public image, but it would be in spite of it. You could do better, without that anchor weighing you down.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Again, would I have said that in the bank? Nope, but it still is the truth and if he said it, he only said what everyone else was thinking, well except you and Lampshade who are pure in thought and tolerant of everyone well except those that disagree with you. I think we call that hypocrisy.
As typical, you've managed to completely miss the point.

The point isn't that I don't think the guy looks like a whacko... its that the guy who made the comment was being a jerk, without reason.

You seem to empathize primarily with the jerk in this story, not surprisingly.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,572 Posts
Reactions: Detectorist
101 - 120 of 127 Posts