41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
35,097 Posts
Reactions: George Kaplan

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Curious how you measured the bhn? Are they not the typical hardball alloy? Not challenging your observation. Genuinely curious.
Hit ‘em with a three pound hammer. Real scientific, I know.

Reactions: fredj338

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,146 Posts
All of my bunny fart loads the last 20+ years have soot on the outside of the case. As for lead levels. About 10-15 years ago I had them do a lead test I was 3.2. Since that time doing many thousands of bunny fart rounds. Shooting plain lead bullets and Hi tek bullets at an indoor range ,50 times in the last 2 years. I did another lead test last year and it was 2. That is shooting over 64 years and over a million rounds of competition trap, skeet, rifle and pistol, everything from .22 LR to 105 howitzer..

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,242 Posts
YES! :)

What are we debating now? I said it's "one of the top (was #2 in a couple divisions)..." and you said, "NO!"

...then you listed PCC (minor) where it's #1 and CO where it's #2.
Another wonderful trait of 320 is that it is virtually unaffected by temperature. I've cooked mags on my dashboard in the hot FL summer sun, and placed mags on ice in a cooler for hours and shot them over my chrony. 320 doesn't care!

And although not TG-fast, it's fast enough to yield great minor, low perceived-recoil results.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
YES! :)

What are we debating now? I said it's "one of the top (was #2 in a couple divisions)..." and you said, "NO!"

...then you listed PCC (minor) where it's #1 and CO where it's #2.
You can't compare the % between Divisions, only in Division. TG is the most used often used powder for the Minor floor. Again, you have to be a USPSA member to see the actual data.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,242 Posts
You can't compare the % between Divisions, only in Division. TG is the most used often used powder for the Minor floor. Again, you have to be a USPSA member to see the actual data.
And again,, probably 'cause it's cheap and available. Other positive traits of 320 far exceed TG. When I first began reloading, I bought a lb of TG because all the cool kids used it for IDPA at my club. Used 1/2 the bottle, moved on to 320, and never looked back.

I am a USPSA member (and IDPA member) and that linked file would not open on 2 different PDF apps on my phone. Must get off butt and see if it opens on my Desktop.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
VVN320 is a slow powder best suited for the Major Powder floor. While it can be used for Minor, it's not ideal.
...ideal enough to be #2 powder used in CO Nationals (and #1 for PCC). :)
I thought I read 105PF? Why I asked. No I shoot that load a lot, not issues with anyones coated bullets.
No, the 105pf was from another bullet I was testing...was using it as an example to show that even down that low with lower pressures, I still didn't get any blackened cases.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
And again,, probably 'cause it's cheap and available. Other positive traits of 320 far exceed TG. When I first began reloading, I bought a lb of TG because all the cool kids used it for IDPA at my club. Used 1/2 the bottle, moved on to 320, and never looked back.

I am a USPSA member (and IDPA member) and that linked file would not open on 2 different PDF apps on my phone. Must get off butt and see if it opens on my Desktop.
After you login to USPSA.org, go to member resources, click on media and info, then on the far left, view magazine online.

·
emeritus
3,479 Posts
I just received a shipment of DG bullets. They are the HARDEST coated bullets I have seen, and that may be the cause of your soot residue. Blowby from being undersized and too hard to obdurate properly.
Obdurate? Taterhead taught us that word!

·
emeritus
3,479 Posts
When I first started, I endeavored to make recoilless rounds in .38 Spl. for the beginner wife to shoot. It was disappointing. Soot, bad accuracy, even keyholing. Upped the charge and that all went away.

·
emeritus
3,479 Posts
sorry, fat fingers. The word is obturate.
I wasn't being a grammar nazi. A little while back, Taterhead pulled the word out of the air and put most of this forum in a spin. You using it brought back the memory.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Obdurate

unmoved by persuasion, pity, or tender feelings; stubborn; unyielding
Obturate

Ordnance. to close (a hole or cavity) so as to prevent a flow of gas through it, especially the escape of explosive gas from a gun tube during firing.

Apparently my phone's dictionary must not have had the latter in its inventory and corrected to the former. Maybe @scattershot was similarly sabotaged?

Memory like an elephant Kap!

Edited to add: I don't even remember that thread and that I caused chaos. @George Kaplan when/what was that?

To remove all doubt, there is no "d" in obturate!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
That is shooting over 64 years and over a million rounds of competition trap, skeet, rifle and pistol, everything from .22 LR to 105 howitzer..
You got a set of dies for this Bob?

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Reactions: SARDG
41 - 60 of 60 Posts