GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
NRA4EVR
11,458 Posts
I’ve been over Imogene and Engineer Passes, with my brother driving his Cherokee. I am too much of a scaredy cat to go down Black Bear. He didn’t offer, anyway, because he didn’t feel skilled enough yet.

The passes we went over were amazing, one of the greatest experiences of my life.

·
Displaced Hillbilly
1,238 Posts
I’ve been over Imogene and Engineer Passes, with my brother driving his Cherokee. I am too much of a scaredy cat to go down Black Bear. He didn’t offer, anyway, because he didn’t feel skilled enough yet.

The passes we went over were amazing, one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Pictures and videos don’t do the beauty justice. You have to see it in person.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The days of just leaving the wreck at the bottom to pollute the river are over. Someone is getting a cleanup bill.
River?

it landed on road

After she recovers, there will be hell to pay in recovery of that jeep and everything that flew off it. HH
The jeep has already been recovered it landed on the road. Flat bed hauled it off. And the owner was a he.

121190680_3300213233348768_506733324677103593_n.jpg

·
Registered
12,358 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
They should park that recovered jeep at the beginning of the trail head.

Amazed how easy the Toyota and jeep flipped in those other vehicles.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I've done many Colorado mountains, but on foot. I'll stick to hiking. Chit.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Black Bear isn't even on our list, not because of the danger, but rather becuase it looks to be entirely too crowded....
I agree, due to its popularity it is a very crowded trail. Lots of folks want to drive it just for the bragging rights. (NOTE: You can even buy hats, t-shirts and decals that say "I did Black Bear".)

Other contributing factors:
- there are a lot of other off-road trails near Ouray that help draw huge crowds to the area.
- the snow plow oftentimes does not get around to plowing Black Bear until mid-July.
- therefore Black Bear is only open for a short time each year so everyone is driving it at the same time.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts