1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Simple Member
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
bene vivere
1,781 Posts
Prayers and good wishes for this unfortunate young woman.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Oh no! This is very sad.

I have driven down (it is a one-way road) Black Bear Pass twice in my Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Hope she recovers . . .

·
Firm member
29,694 Posts
Tourists got out of their Tacoma on the Beartooth Pass (Wy/Mt) border to take some pictures at the elevation sign. They left it in neutral and the Forest Service is estimating the bill will exceed $100K because of the heavy-lift helicopters required and the endless hours of high-angle climbers needed. HH

·
Registered
910 Posts
Tourists got out of their Tacoma on the Beartooth Pass (Wy/Mt) border to take some pictures at the elevation sign. They left it in neutral and the Forest Service is estimating the bill will exceed $100K because of the heavy-lift helicopters required and the endless hours of high-angle climbers needed. HH
Got nothing to do with this story

·
Registered
23,877 Posts
The days of just leaving the wreck at the bottom to pollute the river are over. Someone is getting a cleanup bill.

·
Registered
878 Posts
'...he had shut off the engine, applied the emergency brake and stepped out of the vehicle'...It just goes to show how dangerous off-roading—especially on treacherous switchbacks like those on Black Bear pass—can be.'
Rookie mistake. Dangerous to be left in an unattended vehicle with only the e-brake engaged. Kill engine, firmly apply e-brake, stick in R (regardless of up/downhill pitch) and chock tires. Nearly took another 4-wheeler and occupants with it...maybe more below. Whew!

·
Firm member
29,694 Posts
The days of just leaving the wreck at the bottom to pollute the river are over. Someone is getting a cleanup bill.
The company out here is Erikson Air Cranes, and they're not cheap. You also need to hire ground crews with ropes and tackle to pick up every single (did I say "every single?") piece. HH
Air Crane.jpg

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
@HollowHead

I have parked at the summit of Beartooth Pass to take a photo of the elevation sign.
IDK, seemed pretty level to me at that particular spot?

I do agree that there are other places along Beartooth Pass Highway that are a bit more risky. But Beartooth Pass is "completely different" than Black Bear Pass. For one, Beartooth is a paved, two-way, highway with guardrails and sweeping switchbacks. Black Bear Pass is an unpaved, one-way, road with no guardrails and multiple 5-point switchbacks.

Attachments

·
Firm member
29,694 Posts
@HollowHead

I have parked at the summit of Beartooth Pass to take a photo of the elevation sign.
IDK, seemed pretty level to me at that particular spot?
There is a parking area on the opposite side of the road that if you roll across the meadow behind it (as this unattended Tacoma did,) you'll go over the edge for well over 1.5K yards. What's left of the truck is out now, but high-angle teams contracted by the Forest Service will be back in the late spring to retrieve the wheels, doors, camper shell...and everything larger than your thumbnail including all the glass. HH

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
@HollowHead

Well, I guess I must be one of the folks who is more careful about where I chose to park when I get out of my vehicle to take photos? I try to find a level spot, turn off the engine, leave my transmission in gear, engage my parking brake and point my front wheels so that "if" my vehicle should move despite all of my precautions - it will roll in a direction that will not result in a disaster.

Edited to add: if on un-level ground, I follow the advise that @Lil mentioned above . . . and chock my wheels. (I carry actual wheel chocks with me but boulders will suffice in a hurry.)

Attachments

·
Displaced Hillbilly
1,242 Posts
I have driven Black Bear Pass several times. You definitely have to pay attention, but mostly, use common sense. We came across a Jeep that rolled off the side on Imogene Pass in September of 2018. We were there 3 hours until life flight left with the driver. Didn’t take any pics, figured it to be disrespectful.

2016:

1C1F4833-68C6-4CD7-96D5-41C87A1B5047.jpeg

C68F1E6A-227B-45B2-A99D-2D248DB74DE1.jpeg

2018:

A14458B7-DC3D-483C-99C1-003E20DEB58C.jpeg

7256AD53-F929-4084-84FB-FE199FB2E1B4.jpeg

12578555-D18E-4D13-8E6B-ABE311CA095D.jpeg

·
Gringo Viejo
28,518 Posts
Prayers sent for the young woman. tom.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
After she recovers, there will be hell to pay in recovery of that jeep and everything that flew off it. HH
May not be to bad, if I read it right the jeep landed on a road. Still may be very hard to access though.

·
Native Mainiac
18,749 Posts
Nope, nope nope. I got queasy just watching the the turn on the switchback. No way would I go willingly up or down that goat path.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts