Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A large Black Bear broke into a family's home outside of Anchorage last nite. The home owner thought it was a person breaking in. He grabbed his Glock 40 and went to investigate. Much to his suprise what he found was a Black Bear. The home owner ended up killing the Bear with his Glock. The police officer that came to investigate said it was a very large bear. Who would expect to have to defend against a bear in ones own home. Guess in Alaska we may want to keep a 454 under the pillow instead of 40 or 45.

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
Shoot the bear in the thigh! :clown:

·
Registered
905 Posts
or 12 gauge

okay perhaps something with more capacity and a stock

only 40sw ammo I would consider for that are Doubletap,Buffalobore and handloads of Hodgdon Longshot Max loads preferbly 180gr screw JHP for bear would rather get the penetration. would hope that bullet goes 1100fps+

·
Got Insurance?
7,064 Posts
Yeah, and don't shoot it with AA trap loads! That'd really piss a bear off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a black bear that comes to vist once or twice a week on average... He likes to tip over our trash and snack... Well the other night I got a real close look at him...

The 40 went back into the closet and the 10MM came out for the summer...

·
Got Insurance?
7,064 Posts
Originally posted by Co_Outdoorsman
Still a bad idea. How about a shotgun full of slugs?

·
Banned
598 Posts
Originally posted by Co_Outdoorsman
I have a black bear that comes to vist once or twice a week on average... He likes to tip over our trash and snack... Well the other night I got a real close look at him...

As Steve Koski said a shotgun with slugs wouldn't be a bad idea. Personally I'd take a rifle. A 35 Rem., 308 Win., 30-06 Spr., 444 Mar. a 45-70 ect. ! :) :beer: :rollsmiley:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use what I got and as long as the bear stays outside he can do as he wishes... I don't feel threatened by this bear, after all I built my house in his backyard...

10MM Double Tap 180 grs, @ 1350 Fps. XTP-JHP's should do the trick...

·
Banned
598 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
I would consider hooking up some electric current to that trash can. Works wonders on dogs....

·
Load Developer
777 Posts
Here is a 420lb. black bear that my brother nailed two weeks ago in Idaho with his G20 loaded with 215gr DoubleTaps. The 10mm can and will kill a bear when placed properly.
-Mike

·
Registered
16,918 Posts
Originally posted by Vigilant
I would consider hooking up some electric current to that trash can. Works wonders on dogs....
My dad wired up a bird feeder to keep the squirrels out once. He electrocuted a racoon the first night. It's been a couple of years since he had it plugged in, but the squirrels still leave it alone.

·
Got Insurance?
7,064 Posts
Originally posted by MCNETT
The 10mm can and will kill a bear when placed properly.
As will a .357 Mag, or a 9mm, or a ...22 LR. However, none of those is good defensive bear medicine either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts