close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black bear attack injures two as they slept! Rocky Mountains.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lonewolf01, Jul 15, 2003.

1. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

Time for that S&W Mountain Gun in .44 mag

NEWS

Black bear mauls two campers in Rocky Mountain National Park
    A black bear mauled two campers over the weekend, leaving them with torn scalps and forcing rangers to shut down a number of backcountry camping sites. Patrick Finan, 22, of Boulder and Tim Schuett, 23, of Glen Ellyn, Ill., were attacked as they slept in separate tents early Sunday, officials said Monday. Finan was bitten in the forehead and scalp before the bear let go, park spokesman Kyle Patterson said. Schuett, who was awakened by the screams of his colleague, was scratched on the head. The bear walked off when he yelled. Park rangers shut down backcountry camping sites in the Odessa Gorge area of the park and were trying to locate the bear. “This is a serious incident,” chief ranger Joe Evans said. “All proper food storage was used in this campsite and the bear still acted aggressively.” The last fatality in the park from a black bear attack was in 1971.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Black bear like to eat flesh. People have flesh.

3. noway

noway

agreed, along with berry and nuts."they will take a free offering of scrapes if available and they are hungry"

Too bad for the 2 campers that got attack. I like it when people used the word mauled and now they will most liklely kill the bear for the bear doing what it normally does.

4. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Where were all the guns in this? ;)

5. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

What's with bears and scalps? ;P

Next time I go into bear country I'm bringin a helmet!

6. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

LMAO!;f Hey, I got a crazy idea, don't camp in bear country! I'm either armed to the teeth with something big enough to kill a bear or I'm not hanging out in bear country.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

When in bear country, I always carry some bear spray. Usually 180 gr. FMJ and then I spray and pray.

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I don't go anywhere in the backcountry without at minimum a large knife and hatchet, usually several guns.

I guess these two never heard of posting a guard. You may look at me odd, but anytime I am out in the backcountry there's at least two of us, and we don't camp in the open. I'd really rather not wake up at the business end of a robber's shotgun or a wild animal's stare. One sleeps, one stays awake. Switch every 2 hours.

9. Verybigstick

Verybigstick VinceAutMorire

Interesting that the scalp thing was brought up. Black bears tend to engage in far more predatory behavior on humans than do brown bears. If you have a black bear showing undue interest in you or following you prepare to fight to the death. The only situation that may be worse than this is to come across a brown bear defending a carcas. Anywho, most people that have scalp wounds from black bears are prey for that bear. The bears attack the head/neck area of the prey to disable it just like they would any other bear snack. The only truly almost 100% effective bear killer when you are the prey is a 12 gauge with slugs. That being said, any type of weapon (even a sharp stick) in a black bear attack is better than nothing at all. Spray is an interesting concept but has known significant failures and in no way is anything you should bet your life on. Our wonderful national parks don't allow the carry of personal defense weapons on their land by law abiding citizens so I would recommend spray plus a long bladed knife, hatchet or tomahawk type weapon as a last ditch effort. If you feel teeth sinking into your cranium slash and pray.

Verybigstick

10. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I always had a dog with me in bear country,always smells them before they get to our party---and of course i was armed.The dog gives you precious time to get ready..

11. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Agreed.

When in their territory, you need protection. Better than honey.

12. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

My wife and I have been talking about getting a dog for our family - so now is not a bad time!

13. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Get a decent sized dog. Chihuahuas are loud, but not terribly scary. It'd give you a 10-second warning and then be an appetizer.

14. Guest

my nice camp gun is one I don't worry about scratching up or getting some nice "battle scars" on it from bumping it around.

A good old Mini-30 with a 10 round magazine is fine fare for any black bear in North America. Especially here in CA, where the average is around 200-300lbs.

I thought about my M1-A', but it's too nice and too big....My AR's with FMJ's, would put a scare on a bear, but I baby those guns...

A lever action is too slow for me....A bolt action is the same...too slow during an attack in camp.

A mini 30 with 11 rounds I'd say probably is a good bet for me over even the best 44 mag. The mini is a lot easier to control over stress coming out of a deep sleep.

Just my own personal opinion. I think a MIni-14 or mini-30 with FMJ'S makes an ideal camp gun. Who cares about sub MOA accuracy in camp. 50 yards tops!

15. noway

noway

I thought I would just post that in august issue "Florida Game & Fish" that their has NEVER been a documented case of a Black Bear human attack in Florida. pg 12 (FYI)

I think alot of the hype is blown way overboard when people start mentioning bears and specially Black Bears.

just my 2 yen thoughts........

16. Rebeldon

Rebeldon

This is why it is so important to clean up before you slip into your sleeping bag. And double up with the triple-ply garbage bags. And use Scent-Lok on everything, including yourself.

17. lomfs24

lomfs24

Saying that there has been no black bear attacks in Florida, so there is no threat makes as much sense as saying that there has never been an alligator attacks in Montana so I don't know why y'all don't just go swiming in the swamp.

Then on the other hand there is Rebeldon that says you have to sleep in three layers of garbage bags while wearing ScentLock. How have humans survived as many centuries as they have with out plastic bags and ScentLock suits?

Is the threat real? You bet it is. Will you certainly die if you go into the woods? You would probably have a better chance of getting shot and killed in a car jacking in Florida than getting mauled by a black bear or grizzly for that matter.

18. noway

noway

{ Saying that there has been no black bear attacks in Florida, so there is no threat makes as much sense as saying that there has never been an alligator attacks in Montana so I don't know why y'all don't just go swiming in the swamp. }

Do they have alligator in the wild Montana? ( very unlikely ) So that is not valid comparison.

{ Is the threat real? You bet it is. Will you certainly die if you go into the woods? You would probably have a better chance of getting shot and killed in a car jacking in Florida than getting mauled by a black bear or grizzly for that matter.}

Highly doubt a grizzly would ever be present in the wild in any part of the Florida unless it was in a zoo and a Grizzly and Black Bear is a day & night difference as far as bears goes.

Once again, I was only stating what the fish&game article wrote.The threat is real but over played and most likely will not happen or in the case of Florida, has never happen per FWC or if it did it whent by unreported.

When I go into any lowland or marsh in Florida the last animal I worry about is a Bear ( Black,Brown,Polar or any other color or race of bears.);a

I think alot of the hype is blown way overboard when people start mentioning bears and specially Black Bears.

just my 2 yen thoughts........

19. Rebeldon

Rebeldon

Of course Montana has no alligators, but Florida does have black bears. I remember several years ago they caught a young one that was climbing a tree in the middle of downtown Jacksonville (at dawn). ;g That was one frightenned little bear.

OMG!! I didn't make myself clear. I was talking about putting your GARBAGE in doubled-up triple-ply garbage bags. And I don't think it's over-reacting to use Scent-Lok on yourself and your stuff. I guess we humans survived the many centuries without taking such precautions because there weren't enough bears to eat them all. ;Q Hey, some got eaten, but I bet if they had Scent-Lok, some of them would have been spared. And hey, how did we survive without baby-seats in our cars when we were kids? But I wouldn't think of letting my two-year-old girl jump up and down in the back seat as I drive down the road, like my parents allow me to do. I guess I survived because we didn't crash. But some did crash and didn't survive that would have survived if they had baby-seats.

My guess is that the only way you are going to be mauled by a grizzly bear in Florida is to cross the fence at the Jacksonville Zoo. ;i As for black bears, you are more likely to be killed by one when you strike it with your car and it flies through your windshield and it crushes you. ;P But it's still wise to take precautions when you can. They are out there at night, and they are looking for something to eat. And it helps not to fall asleep with a half-eaten back of Fritos in your sleeping bag.

20. noway

noway

ROFLMAO.

But seriously to add to this black bear thing.

{will not happen or in the case of Florida}

(now I'm posting on my own post )

I want to add that with the slow erroding of the bear's nature habitat, the encounter for humans and bears have increased and will keep on doing so.

One thing we as humans must understand, that we need to learn to live together or pretty soon our grand kids and their grand kids would only know of certain animals via a history book or museum. For every acre of land we take away we need to think about the animals we effect and how to correct this off-balance.

One other thing of interest that most people don't seem to understand about black bears, they are scavengers. The article even compared the Blk Bear to a typical raccoon. They Black bear could kill a human easily, but normaly they don't and we end up causing them to be killed form our actions or lack of actions. Should we carry our guns into the wild , yes, should we shoot a bear that is about to attack us, yes/no/maybe. Should we do everything in our powers to perserve the balck bear population, will yes morally we have that obligation.The problem with most 2 legged animals called humans, we get into this habit of just killing but don't think twice of why and what cause us to kill.

God gave us dominion over animals but let's don't abuse and cause our own actions that will lead to the destrution of our wild friends in the wild.

just my closing 2 cents thoughts.
    norway out.