close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bizarre file deletion issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AC37, Oct 8, 2006.

1. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

I recently downloaded some drivers from 3Com for a wireless card onto my desktop. It is an .exe file, and I wanted to have it handy for transfer. I'm finished with it now, however, I can't seem to get rid of the damn thing now...I've tried numerous times to delete, rename, or move it, a message keeps coming up that the file is being used by another person or program. I'm at a loss as to figure out what possible program/person could be using this, as I was only transferring the file to another computer and never actually installed it on this computer. I just want this file gone, deleted, off my desktop. What do I need to get it to go away? TIA! :)

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've had this problem before. As long as you're sure this file is not required for the driver to work(which I presume its not)...

Restart in Safe Mode- Press F8 repeatedly while machine is booting.

Once in safe mode, you should be able to delete the file w/o issue.

Restart your PC back into normal.

IGF

3. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Or the install may not have closed properly. Rebooting your comp will likely take care of it or just do a control alt delete and go into the task manager and look for the process to be running. If it is tell it to end the task. Then you should be able to delete. Safe mode will also work for sure.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I had a problem file that I could not delete, and after ending all tasks, etc, it still kept saying it was in use. It was a torrent file taht I'd canceled the download on. Even after closing my torrent program, it still wouldn't delete, evne after a restart.

Thats why I recommended the Safe Mode. Less work if you don't know what program is keeping it from being deleted.

IGF

5. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

MikeG22: Thanks anyway, but I had already tried all the recommendations you posted. The program was never installed, nothing that would be running it was showing up in task manager nor should anything have been running it in the first place. Also, the app was from a trusted site (3Com), so I doubt it was a virus.

IGF: Believe it or not, not even standard safe mode fixed the issue. I had to reboot all the way into "command prompt only" safe mode and delete it old-school via DOS-style text commands, but that finally did the trick, thank God. I still have no idea what could have been using the program or what could have caused this to happen, but fixed is fixed. I just hope this doesn't happen again, what a major pain in the rear.

6. NGWT

NGWT

Next time (heaven forbid ;) ) do a search for the file, rename it, reboot and remove.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If I understand AC's problem correctly(as its the same problem I had), because the file is detected "in use" you can't rename it.

IGF

8. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

For next time, there's several ways around it. In Windows XP Pro you can change the file permissions and replace the owner on the object. Most often that is all that is required and you can delete it on the next reboot.

If it still doesn't, the quick and easy way is with Hijack-This! It has a "delete file upon reboot" function that is 99% effective; even against the worst spy and virus ware.

Before I figured that out, I used to log into my own FTP and delete it with my FTP program. I have no earthly idea why it would delete a file when Windows balked at it. :upeyes:

9. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

Correct. I could not do anything to that bloomin' file, including renaming or moving it.

Thanks for the other recommendations Bambihunter. :)

10. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

The Desktop is not capable of holding more than a few magabytes. Use any other folder you create on your hard drive next time. You may have gone over that limit.

There is a folder called desktop, search for it and open it when you find it. Manually delete it from that folder, possibly you will need to be in, as in an earlier post, safe mode. :thumbsup: ;)

11. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

What in the world? Are you talking a company network or something where you log into a domain and they have re-mapped the desktop to reside on a server? At work, I hook up peoples hard drives to my external USB drive. I then backup whatever they need from their drive to my desktop. This provides me with a reminder to move it back to their drive after an OS install (or whatever we might have done with it). I don't know what the largest one is, but I've had several which topped 50 gigs or so.

12. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

Blitzer, I've had numerous, far larger files on my desktop at once and never had any similar problems. Also, the file in question was only 67 KB, so I highly doubt the size had anything to do with the issue.

That said, I _have_ heard of performance issues if you have too many icons/files on your desktop...at least back with Windows 95/98. Whether or not that's actually true or not, I have no way of irrefutably confirming one way or the other...though given Windows XP has a program that automatically comes up from time to time when you have unused icons on your desktop which was not present in previous version, it stands to reason that too many icons or too much data stored on the desktop can or does affect overall PC performance in some fashion, though I am not entirely clear as to why, given that the "Desktop" is, ultimately, just a subfolder at its core.

13. Blue59

Blue59

There's another free program you can download to do this sort of thing (delete undeleteable files) named "MoveOnBoot". It will move, rename or delete files you schedule on rebooting. It "runs" before the OS even starts up, and I haven't heard of it ever not working.
    ~