Bitterroot River Bear Poop Report

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by LinuxLover, Feb 26, 2020.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

My theory is that the bears either haven't gone into hibernation yet.... or they're gonna skip this year. I haven't seen the herds of elk in my fields this winter either.... so there may be closer-than-local ursine activity at 3.2K foot altitude.

I'll only say that I was "somewhere between Darby & Lolo" today and there was big huge Yogi 5X sized bear poop alongside the abandoned train tracks.

We had to rappel down the bank about 40 yards, and there were no signs of recent human activity since Lewis & Clark came through there we bet!

I tied off on the steel rail and backpacked my ruck, two Shimano ultralites w/2# Stren Green Lo-Viz and a couple of PBJs and Yoohoo down the cliff. Down was much easier than up.

This is gonna be supreme-o trout area in early spring... u betchum!

This time we didn't step in it.... the bear poop, that is. I cannot attest to the freshness of the scat... it wasn't steaming if that counts.

Getting touchy-feely with poop... even my own is not high on my bucket list.... so there's that. Also... there were no berries, bells, whistles, tennis shoe remnants in it nor did it smell like pepper this time.

Betwixt the two of us we had a Ruger .357Mag wheel and my G20.4. We think we were sufficiently armed.... we both use the same target range we cut out on Skalcaho and had the same instructor.... at different times... in Anti-Bear Theory.

In less than an hour, I caught a really nice 24" Cutthroat and a few 11-13" Rainbows today on Thomas 1/8oz Bouyants....single egghooks with no barbs. I like egghooks since they are very hard for a fish to toss and they protect their own points when you skid over rocks and sand. I won't use trebles nor barbs.

I'm not reporting the color.... but suffice it to say it's the same Late Spring ice-out and Late Fall color combo that works in The High Sierras.... especially Convict Lake and June Loop.... <winky wink for those who know>.

I tried Panthers ... all kindsa colors ..... ZERO,
    I tried Kastmasters.... chrome, gold, colored .... NOPE,
    Same for Roosters, Supers, Zekes, Flatfish, Heddons, Needles.... NADA, no matter what colors.​

I think we need a BEAR REPORT(S) area on GT.

I might consider a few prepaid rappelling tours for ones and twos to this area..... Nah! .... cancel that...... It's gonna be a great year if I don't die first.

BTW.... anyone seen any 1/64ths oz Crappie Johns lately? I'm running out and these are killers for Montana trout.

2. glock_collector

glock_collector

Need pics!!! (fish, not bear crap..)

3. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Ya know.... I tried to carry a camera and fish at the same time ... it wasn't good. Now that I'm carrying a 10mm... it would be worse.

I though about my wetcam salt water camera bag and an old Kodak 7.2 MP ...... but that's just more straps, weight and trouble.... plus it's a lithium battery eater.... thankfully just AAs and not a Kodak proprietary battery pack but lithiums are kinda spendy too any more.

Maybe GT can GoFund me a GoPro? I wouldn't mind.

glock_collector likes this.
  4. sourdough44

sourdough44

Maybe Squatch poop? Time to upgrade to the 454 Casull with hard cast. Those Squatch don’t like you taking their fish.

azbuckeye and orangejeep06 like this.