Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harris bipod I may go ahead and mount on my .308, but was a 6 1/4 pound svelte little rifle, is now a 7 pound rifle after the addition of a scope. Adding a bipod will add another 1/2 pound or so. No big deal in many ways, but still.........

Pro: It would add some stability, and they do make for a nice shooting platform.

Con: They add weight and take away from some of the otherwise great handling aspects of the rifle.

So, I'm just curious, who likes them, and who doesn't?

· Registered
8,770 Posts
If you don't have one and need it then your irritated, if you have one and it gets in the way your irritated. Its just another love hate relationship.

· Señor Mombo
2,913 Posts
They are very convenient when shooting prone. They are not the most stable platform, but the lightest, most convenient, and flexible way to shoot off the ground.

· M62/76
14,816 Posts
I don't have them in many of my guns but on the ones I do have them on they are great. My .17HMR comes to mind- had it on there for years and love it, lightweight and stable.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I have several and use them often when shooting from the bench. I use them whether I'm trying for small groups, sighting in a gun, or just plinking.
Just yesterday I was plinking with a Kel Tec PLR16 equipped with a bipod.

And since the bipods can be installed or removed in seconds I find them very useful for new shooters.

· Registered
9,094 Posts
I have a Harris bipod for my Remington 700 deer rifle. It is one of those things that can be good to have in the field, under the right conditions. Sometimes I leave it off, depending on the the hunting stand. Great for the range. I did pop a couple small pigs once using it from a prone shooting position.

I have a Grip Pod on my AR. I really like the function and quality of it. Very easy to remove or add back to the rail. The feet forming the bipod are released with the push of a button. Push them back in and they lock back into the retracted position.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...grip-pod-gps-02-military-model-prod24481.aspx

· Registered
15,943 Posts
I don't like them. Too much additional weight and bulky. At the range if I need a rest I would rather use a sandbag.

I am the same way with motorcycles. Don't like extra add ons like Fairings, Saddlebags, top boxes etc. They are convenient, but they just don't look right.

· Banned
45,550 Posts
I have the small one made by Blackhawk. Handy to have, and not really in the way. Rifle is heavy enough as it is.

· Banned
663 Posts
I have a Harris Gunworks M86 in 30-06... and that rifle absolutely needs a bipod. Bet that rifle weighs 11 or 12 lbs without it. The barrel is tapered... and it tapers down to a muzzle that is one inch in diameter.

· Banned
17,266 Posts
Another Harris... It's a horses for courses thing for me it's on a 7mm Mag. I use it for long range shooting where no bench exists. Does help. But this isn't a type of shooting I do often.

I couldn't even name another brand...

· JAFO
15,124 Posts
I have several and use them often when shooting from the bench.

Sorry Buck but you're a total gun slut. And I say that with the utmost affection. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.