Bios update

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bocephus549, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Went to Dell's website and downloaded bios v.2.4.1 update for an Inspiron 1501 laptop.

When the computer re-booted it went kinda crazy. It searched for and installed all the hardware on the computer.It messed up all the appearance settings on my desktop.

Is this normal?

I did a systen restore thinking it would return everything to normal but it didn't.

I reset everything so my desktop looks normal again. Hopefully I haven't screwed anything up but something just doesn't seem right.

Is there any way reverse the changes I made?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Updating the BIOS is always risky and should only be done for a reason. Do you know the reason they came out with a BIOS update? If may or may not be for some software or hardware that is available for that model PC but you need to make sure first that YOUR PC "needs" a BIOS update. If it is working now you should leave it alone. You may be able to flash the BIOS to an older version if you know which previous version you had before but that could default your desktop again. Check the version number of the BIOS you now have and make sure it was updated to the version you updated. If all is working just record the number and leave it as is for now.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

A system restore will only restore the software not the BIOS.

4. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure how to check and make sure it was updated. When it boots up it shows v.2.4.1 at the bottom of the screen which is the updated version I downloaded.

5. srhoades

srhoades

More than likely after the update it had to redect your video card. As long as you don't have any yellow exlamation points in hardware manager you should be fine.

6. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

I've done a BIOS update on each computer I've had and have, and never had any problems. It's become a lot safer to update your BIOS lately (better support from manufacturer, friendly utilities, backup bios). I wouldn't worry. Like Washington,D.C. said, system restore won't do anything unless you flash back to the previous bios version aswell.

I know I shouldn't update the bios when the PC works fine, but when a new version comes online, I just can't help myself... :supergrin:

Washington,D.C.,

Did you have a bad experience with monkeys? :banana: (sig line)

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It was a road sign I saw when I was working in South Africa. I thought was a funny thing to put on a road sign. :supergrin:

8. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

Think of it this way. If you ignore the warning and a bobbejaan messes with you, you will have no reason to complain :supergrin:

What did you do in SA?

The only time a bobbejaan was a problem for me was at the Kruger national park. A few of them snuck into the rondawel and ate everything they could find! (not their fault, people shouldn't feed them)

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I worked for the SA government back when it was handy to have a US passport.