Binoculars

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:53 AM.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

Purchased an inexpensive pair of Bushnels at the thrift shop. These used to retail for about $70.

Is it OK, in general to keep them in my car in freezing weather?

Edit:

They are 12X50 Model Powerview

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 4:55 AM
  2. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually fog from either home or cold. Cheap binos won’t have proper sealing and purging.

However cheap binos for work most purposes. It’s low light and inconsistent light where expensive binos make the difference.

Rellik likes this.

3. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I've found that really cheap binos can go out of alignment. I see double images.

mc1911 likes this.
  4. VA27

VA27

Keep them out of direct sunlight. Get or make an insulated case (a cheap lunch box and line it with an inch or so of styrofoam). That should take care of the heat. The real killer is the vibration of riding around in direct contact with the floor of the vehicle, so pad the inside of the case, too.

5. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

6. NoStress

NoStress

I have left Bushnell binoculars in the vehicle all winter with no harm and I live in the arctic. Wrap them up when you bring them inside because the different materials they are made of expand at different rates. When it is really cold I also wrap up things I am worried about before I take them outside.

This is about scopes but it is the same for binoculars.

https://www.bushnell.com/blog/what-...scope-exposed-to-cold-temperatures-overnight/

Some more info.
    https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/waterproof-and-fogproof-binoculars-06/

Detectorist likes this.
  7. Detectorist

Detectorist

Tried them out tonight. Excellent performance. Crisp viewing and great vision in darker areas. Lots of wildlife around work. Great viewing.

Can't be beat for the $6.00 I paid for them. :)

Rellik and ZekerMan like this.
  8. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

9. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Make good truck gear. Inexpensive enough to consider disposable. If you kill them, go back to the thrift store.

Being in AZ I would be more worried about heat. There is grease in the working parts. If it gets too hot it could melt and flow into the optical path.

NoStress likes this.
  10. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

That is quite the investment. LMAO
    Eventually, especially in the extremes most auto's experience, the seals will turn loose and the gas will escape. It could be sooner or later, just no way to know.
    I have a couple of Bushnell scopes that have been hauled all over the lower 48, altitude, extreme temp changes, and bounced around a large portion of the Rockies and most of Texas along with daily and hunting use, and after 30 years they are going strong, but very outdated and have very thick cross hairs. They are retired for the moment. The binoculars I got at the same time, not so much. One side is difficult to keep focused and I will probably lose it completely in the next year or so. Wild guess.
    All that to say, you just never know, but eventually, the gas charge will go and the optic along with it. Enjoy the $6.00 binoculars, they may be the best investment you ever made.

Detectorist likes this.
  11. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

I was given Bushnell Powerview 10x50 Binoculars for Christmas part #131055 they work awesome.

Detectorist and Von Hayes like this.
  12. diggy485

diggy485

Just do it and report back.