close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Binoculars for Deer Hunting & Bird Watching

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Arbee, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Arbee

Arbee

What do you folks use in the way of binoculars? What's the least expensive binocs to use? I am not willing to pay Swarovski prices, but am open to suggestions. I don't want junk or even very low quality, but it does not have to be the bnest in the world.

2. day5creations

day5creations clocked in?

What you are saying is that you want $1000.00 quality for $100.00 then?

In optics ;2 YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

I use Zeiss 7x42's. They are the best binocular ever produced for birding and viewing in general. Widest field of view and true color. Sharp? There is a reason all eye surgeons use Zeiss. They cost about $900.00

For big name performance at 1/2 the cost, look at the Pentax 8x42 DCF WP for $450.00

Cheaper than $400.00? Doesn't matter much, they all are 2nd class by then, pick a brand any brand.

And yes, this is IMNSHO.;a

3. Arbee

Arbee

Well you pegged my wish...almost. I was trying to avoid $1,400, but hoped to pay about $300. Sounds like it's $400 plus. I have seen some Kahles (sp?) that run about $700 that are bright and crisp, but shudder at the cost. So thanks, I'll check out the Pentax.

4. day5creations

day5creations clocked in?

I bought a pair of the Pentax's for a friend and have used them side by side with my Zeiss'. They are just as bright and clear and almost color true as the Zeiss. If they had been out before I bought my Zeiss' it would have been a tough call. If you wear glasses the Zeiss are the best for eye relief, the Pentax's are not bad though.

Check out:

http://betterviewdesired.com/

5. Arbee

Arbee

Thanks again.

Anyone else?

6. chucha

chucha

The Pentax 8X42. I have the 10X42 and would trade in a New York City hearbeat for an 8X42. Nothing wrong with the 10X42, except I am in a boat a lot in the summer and that extra "OOMPH" of the 10 makes it pretty jiggly. But man those Pentax"s are sharp, crisp, good from edge to edge, great color, excellent sunshades for glasses wearers and eye-relief. Micht as well throw away the case as it is for crap. What were they thinking? Use the binocs and walk around with the case in your hand while doing so?

taa, cha;f

7. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

For lower priced binoculars the Wind River line by Leupold are a good choice. Their roof prisms (pictured) would be great for hunting and the porro prisms are also very nice and less expensive but also somewhat larger and heavier. The roof prisms in 8x42 are $250 from Cabelas and you could probably shave a few bucks off of that price by shopping around on the net. I also wouldn't doubt that the Pentax binocs are nice I just haven't looked through them although I'm absolutely enthralled with my new Pentax 80mm ED spotting scope.

Just this afternoon I was able to compare Zeiss Victorys, Steiner Predators, Kahles model? and Swarovski SLC and EL models all in 10x40 or 10x42. These were all very nice and were all pretty similar in picture quality except for the new Swarovski EL models they were notably better. I looked at the EL models last and when I did I let out an audible WOW. The true test would have been to compare them at dusk which I wasn't able to do but I was able to look into a shadowed grove of trees about 600 yards out. The EL allowed me to see deeper into the trees and the color and clarity was a cut above as well.

I would rate them (in my nonexpert opinion) like this on picture quality:
    1. Swarovski EL
    2. Zeiss Victory
    3. Swarovski SLC (noticably the heaviest)
    4. Steiner Predator
    5. Kahles

clic pic
    [​IMG]

8. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Have had good luck with this glass. Paid about $198 on sale and they are lite,clear,fog-prof, and have a ten or twenty year warrenty. JMTCW ;Q

9. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

What, new good looking neighbor Arbee?;)

(If you guys help Arbee find a pair of Bino's, you may be "an excretory to a crime"... I'm sure the neighbors will be thankful to you as well.):)

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Bushnell's Trophy series is very usuable. 8x42 should be good for what you want to use them for.

Some people get caught up on price not function.

There were people buying stereos that only their dog could appreciate.

You want to look at a straight line about 30 to 50 yards away, it should be straight all the way across the lens.

Also when I sold binoculars, more than half of the people adjusted them incorrectly.

Close the eye or block the bottom lens of the side that does not adjust on the top lens. Use the center focus wheel to get the clearest picture possible. Then close or block the other side and without touching the focus wheel look through the side that adjusts on top- the small lens. turn it to get the clearest picture you can. Now open both eyes make sure that the view is one picture. If the distance bwteen your eyes is incorrect fold together or open as needed.

If they have two top or small lens that move do the same thing but make each adjustment on top

11. noway

noway

I agree also. I have a set of 10X50 Bushnell and they are great for my bird watching and as a GP binocular out in the field.

Laugh if you want to, but I paid right around $44.99 for these and they work great, very durable, the only thing I don't like is the strap.

{Binoculars for Deer Hunting & Bird Watching}

How much more better would a set of Steiner/Nikon etc.... would be for looking at a deer or bird ? I don't know but the El Cheapo Bushnells are just fine. Also if they should get damage in the field, I won't cry to much over a $45USD vrs $400+USD binoculars.

just my 0.02c

12. Arbee

Arbee

Interesting group of suggestions. I looked at the Wind Rivers, but they have a design flaw --- the eye relief mechanism doesn't lock in place; you press you eyes against it and it collapses.

I looked at Kahles ($700) and Steiner Predators ($400), but can't recall the optics sizes. The Kahles were the brightest and clearest of all I looked at, including the Steiners, but I may not have had the Steiners adjusted properly. The Steiners were also much heavier than the Kahles. I'll try that comparison again. The offsetting factor for the Steiners and Kahles is that they have lifetime, no questions asked warrantees. I also looked at sa pair of Zeiss, but they were not water proof and did not appear as sturdy at the Khales or the Steiners.

I'll Check out the Bushnell Trophy series, too.

Thanks. Glad to hear more opinions and experiences with binoculars from others here.

13. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

I also use the Steiner Predators and have been VERY happy with them.

14. Arbee

Arbee

Where can I get the Steiners ($198!!!)(or others) at a good discount?

15. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

You might try BearBasin.com . Have got a few great deals on rifle glass and yard finders. They have binos so give them a try.:)

16. tjpet

tjpet

Due to the ruggedness of the terrain out West you glass 2-3 hours for every one that you walk. With that amount of use you need good optics or else your head will be splitting shortly. Any binos from 100.00 to 900.00 will let you see clearly enough. And some of the cheaper ones can be amazingly durable. But to me then real test is how long you can go without eye strain that literally hurts. Might not be a significant factor back East but it sure is out here. Pentax is as cheap as I would go for good optics. An excellent compromise of toughness and clarity is the Kahles line. Of course Swarovski and Zeiss are great if you're serious and plan on buying for a lifetime of use. I've had a pair of Zeiss 10x40's the last 20 years and have never found them lacking in any area.

17. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I've had those questions too since the high end glass isn't in the budget, for now!

18. P99er

P99er AKA PPQ'er

And that reason would be that the MD's influence decisions professionally that enrich Zeiss, so Zeiss gives the binoculars out like candy.

If I was a Zeiss rep and a doctor just bought $3 million worth of equipment, I would be more than happy to give him some binoculars.

Zeiss makes some fine surgical microscopes.

19. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

Try Cabelas.

20. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM