Bill's Stories

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bill Powell, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Jean, while you were talking about Fletcher's misfortune you for to tell about him shooting a black bear with a shotgun and then ran and jumped on his back. You didn't mention him leaving a fishing trip by medi-vac helicopter with a fish hook in his eye.

2. wynnjean

wynnjean

sweetie you had already mentioned that, also didn't mention it was his brother who hooked his eye!!!! aunt Avery only noticed his arm cause he wasn't wringing the mop out properly

3. wynnjean

wynnjean

it was just in there ready to erupt Billy!!! that was a lot cause you have been at this for years and I just found this and I wanted to comment for the longest time...it wouldn't be all crunched together if I had been commenting all along

4. wynnjean

wynnjean

Hey Little rawhide...did your dad ever tell you what he said the first time he saw an elephant, if he hasn't , I will LOL

5. wynnjean

wynnjean

Billy wants me to list our relatives names, now I have told you about my Granny Doshie and her sister Kisar Melviny (Aunt Kizzy)...Uncle Toad Greenberry...now here's a few more--Arsro and Asoline, Etha, Retha , Letha and Madge, (sisters)...Poshie Tot and Teeny Doo (cousins nick names)...Mother's maiden name was Snelgrove, according to our family tree the first Snelgrove to hit American soil was in 1635...and according to the ship's records, he was the only one unemployed!!!

6. wynnjean

wynnjean

and am I right in saying he not only "kilt" that bear, he also skinned it with a pen knife...am I right ...a pen knife...what ever it was it wasn't big!!

7. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

OK...

Were you guys well off, or dirt poor?

These stories are magnificent and remind me too much of my childhood.

We had a relatively small family but all my friends were farmers and had huge extended families. Stories like these were a daily occurrence.

(My friend got a mail-order mini-bike. We had just gotten it out of the box in the driveway, gassed and oiled, when his big brother came down from the fields.

Tim knew that Johnny would want to ride it and would crash and break it immediately.

So...

Tim jumped on it, gave the rope a pull, and gunned it, all the while looking back at Johnny... Right smack into the back of some tractor attachment, at 40 mph.

Bike busted. Tim busted.

So... Johnny beat on him a little bit for being stupid.)

eta:
    We once found Johnny, on some hillside (we were probably on the mini-bike), with a wooden crate full of M-80s. He was making a cave-fort in the hillside. It was a little too deep by the time we got there. I can still remember Johnny going in and not being able to run out fast enough, being blown out of the hole with a smoking cloud of dirt.

(I walked that valley, not long ago, and the cave is still there)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  8. wynnjean

wynnjean

I know my stories can not come close to my brother Bill Powell, but I love to tell the story about my first memory in Miami, I was almost 3...my Uncle Roy ran a hotel in Miami, I only remember the main building...so picture this I am leaning out the last room on the right and I can see my Uncle Roy in his white and red boxer shorts yelling at someone...THIS IS NOT A WHORE HOUSE...THE WHORE HOUSE IS DOWN THE STREET!!!...I guess the house of ill repute was on that same street but further down...it was still in business in the early 60's til a rival house put their number in the phone book and they had to close...when it was torn down in the 90's an enterprising man sold the blocks along with an paper of authenticity...I bought 2, one for my brother Jack and one for my brother-in-law Ted...

9. wynnjean

wynnjean

we were not well off nor dirt poor, lots of kids and lots of love...Mother liked tosay "there would have been more kids, but Daddy liked to fish..."

10. Bill Powell

You know I was just teasing you earlier. I do get to do a memory check on you this time. That elephant story happened at the Jackson, Miss. zoo when I was four, or so. The elephant story I remember in Miami involved Bill Nichols, our town cop. He was working around the elephant, being way cooler than anyone else. He walked up behind the elephant just as it took a dump and was standing there with elephant crap piled almost to his knee. Now that was funny as hell right there.

11. wynnjean

wynnjean

oops I thought it was when they had the elephant at the grand opening at the dairy queen in Miami, I have pictures of it and there was a few in the Silver belt one week...

12. Bill Powell

This happened on Sullivan St, where they built the public swimming pool. I think it was a promotional thing for some carnival.

13. Bill Powell

It's been awhile, so I thought I'd tickle the keys a tad.

TBO likes this.
  14. pgg00

pgg00

Bump for newbies to read

TBO and Joshhtn like this.
  15. SomeDay

SomeDay

A bump in honor of Mr. Powell. Eric, I hope you don't mind.