close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bill: Guns made in SC exempt from federal regulations

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Dec 27, 2012.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Anyone else read this? Sure would be nice if this went through.

Bill: Guns made in SC exempt from federal regulations

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCIV) – A bill prefiled in the South Carolina state Senate would exempt any firearm, accessory or ammunition manufactured and kept in the state from federal regulations.

The bill was filed by Sen. Lee Bright (R-Spartanburg) on Dec. 13.

The bill, named the "South Carolina Firearms Freedom Act," cites the 9th and 10th Amendments to establish that the manufacture of firearms and ammunition is not expressly written into the U.S. Constitution, which means regulation falls to the states.

The bill defines accessories to firearms as anything to provide usefulness in using the weapon, including "telescopic and laser sights, magazines, flash or round suppressors, folding or aftermarket stocks, speedloaders, ammunition carriers, and lights for target illumination."

The bill also notes that South Carolina's constitution states that the government cannot interfere with the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms.

The bill, it notes, does not apply to firearms that cannot be carried or used by one person, that have a bore diameter greater than 1.5 inches, a firearm that fires multiple projectiles by pulling the trigger, or one that uses ammunition that explodes after leaving the weapon.

Weapons made in South Carolina, the bill notes, must be stamped with the words "Made in South Carolina."

The bill opens the door for a wide array of weapons because FN Manufacturing, a precision manufacturing company based out of Columbia, manufactures gun barrels, including a pair of .50-caliber machine guns, NATO assault rifles, and assault/sniper rifles used by U.S. Special Forces. FN Manufacturing's MK 13 Mod 0 grenade launcher would not be covered under Bright's bill.

Bright has not responded to requests for comment.

A bill of the same name had been filed with the state Senate in 2009. Bright, along with Sens. Bryant, Mulvaney, Davis, Shoopman, McConnell and Martin, were cosigners on that bill.

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

GA needs to do the same I can handle all Daniel Defense stuff ......
    :)

3. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

If things go to hell and a hand basket. Might be time to move.

4. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Maybe that will draw several firearm/ ammo manufacturers to this area . Thier business would be greatly welcome in a State that's definitely business friendly... Look at Boeing.... The Gov. stood her ground when the union wolves tried to blow the Boeing house down ...:wavey:

5. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

That's a fine PR move, but it doesn't actually mean anything. A state can't just exempt itself from federal regulation. If that was the case, it would happen all the time. It only works with the marijuana thing because the Feds don't seem to really care anymore.

6. hooligan74

hooligan74

It would mean plenty if the SCOTUS decided that the bill was correct in its proposition that regulations of the manufacture of firearms and ammo should fall to the individual state.

I don't know how realistic that is, however, so that's a pretty big "if".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Didn't Arizona do this some years back ?

8. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Montana did this a number of years ago, but I don't recall how it worked out. Anyone remember? :dunno:

9. matt_n03

matt_n03

By what right does the federal government have the power to regulate state commerce? If something is produced in a certain state and never crosses state lines, I don't see how it's any business of the feds.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

From another forum:

11. meathead19

meathead19

I may have misheard/interpreted this, but I thought I heard SC doesn't have an actual gun registration.

If that's true, how would "they" know who has what?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  12. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

We DO NOT have any form of registration unless you count the 4473 paperwork....:cool:

13. quinnt

quinnt

NH tried this last year, it stalled out.

14. Averageman

Averageman

That's a fine PR move, but it doesn't actually mean anything. A state can't just exempt itself from federal regulation. If that was the case, it would happen all the time. It only works with the marijuana thing because the Feds don't seem to really care anymore

It means a lot if your State is willing o fight for it.
    I have yet to understand why every gun manufacturer hasn't moved to Texas.

15. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

In the real world anyone setting up shop to manufacture say 1911s in SC for sale only in SC without getting a manufacturing license from the BATFE is setting themselves up for a world of hurt. Such a person better be a hardcore true believer and have a substantial legal fund available and as a matter of decency advise their employees of the s_&* storm that may follow.

16. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

It does and it doesn't. The state is more or less saying that the federal government does not have the power to have actually created a law that impacts local commerce. Gonzalez vs Raich is the case that this follows closely.

Case eventually gets to Supreme Court. Supreme Court decides that even though a locally produced and consumed, a product can be regulated by the federal government for various reasons. Most of them could apply in the gun case.

So previous case law would probably uphold the federal government, but a law is just words if it is not enforced.

With marijuana, there is black market for a consumable product that people are willing to spend a lot of money on so it is a lot harder and more expensive to try to enforce the law without active local enforcement.

With guns, several raids by federal agents could put a serious dent in the SC firearms manufacturing business.

If it ever got to a real hot point on state rights though, the guns would mostly be one side of the argument.

17. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

I would vote yes for it if it were on the ballot. I think it would be great and I have no intentions of moving from SC anytime soon. I do not think it will pass however because it is too likely that someone would buy a gun from them and them move out of SC. This would then make the gun illegal and there would be reprecusssions to FN even though they have no control of the gun once it leaves the factory.

18. fusegsp

fusegsp

We've got Les Baer and Volquartsen. Pricey stuff.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I still haven't seen any semiauto FN M16 yet, so what's the point?

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Tabled? IIRC, it's neither at committee or killed. HH