close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bike insurance

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by medmike, Nov 23, 2006.

1. medmike

medmike

hey guys , im thinking of getting another bike and was wondering what insurance was up to now. i did a quote on progressive that was for 2100 dollars a year, i thought that was really high . im 24 with a clean record and the bike i used was a 2001 zx-9r . full collision and comp. is this the norm now for prices?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

At your age group on a crotch rocket? Yeah, that sounds about right.

I'm 39 with clean driving records and I'm playing Progressive $1200 for my BMW which isn't even a rocket. But the rest of the bikes were add-ons so they were a lot cheaper. Safeco, Encompass and Geico quoted me what you are paying right now.

I'll try State Farm next year and see if they'd give me a good deal if they insure my car and all of my rides.

3. f3joel

f3joel

i have a 96 cbr 600 f3 and pay about 200 a year for liability

4. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

I agree with fnfalman that it sounds about right considering your age and type of motorcycle. I use Progressive also and it seems that the "magic number" with them is 26. The premium for my previous bike (2003 Road King) dropped from about $1200 a year to about $800 a year once I turned 26.

Actually...the insurance rates were what kept me from buying a crotch rocket to begin with. Ended up buying a V-Star 650 for my first bike (at age 24) and paid about $600 a year for insurance. I only kept that bike for 8 months before I bought the Road King. Didn't even get an insurance quote before buying that one. Seems that "touring" bikes have higher premiums than "cruisers". If you want cheap insurance buy a cruiser.

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My local indy agent hooked the wife and I up with DairyLand.

Mine: 2006 Triumph Speed Triple....full coverage
    1988 HD XLH 12OO...................basic "
    Hers: 1985 HD FXR........................basic "

Annual with $500 deductable: $788.00 Clean records, Montana.
    Progressive was just over $1,400 when we shopped last renewal. Geico wouldn't touch the Triumph. HH

6. shadyinsulator

shadyinsulator Twisted Sweeper

I ride a "crotch rocket". State farm and GMAC have been cheap for me. $300 to $400 a year for full coverage. Although I am 30 years old with no tickets etc.

7. IdaReggaeMon

IdaReggaeMon Señor Member

State Farm

2006 Honda CBR 1000RR: $253/year liability+comprehensive+collision ($1000 deductible)

2003 Honda Reflex scooter (250cc): $64/yr liability only

40's, clean driving record, house and two other vehicles insured also.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I heard some rumors about State Farm only insure motos if you insure a car with them first, is that true?

And of course, the states matter. There is no such animals as "cheap" moto insurance in California. If you have clean driving records and have multiple insured vehicles, you will get a decent rate but if you compare that rate to another state then you'll be in for a rude awakening. New Mexico is another high-cost insurance state.

9. IdaReggaeMon

IdaReggaeMon Señor Member

Don't know about the State Farm insure a car before moto thing...

I was kinda shocked at the low price I was able to get. I had done a few online quotes with other companies and they were all much higher.

10. shadyinsulator

shadyinsulator Twisted Sweeper

I currently have State Farm for my bike. I only had to show them proof that my cars are insured. My autos are insured with GMAC.

11. Dandapani

Dandapani

12. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I have SF for my 81 GS450. $18/mo. A quote for a 03 SV1K naked is $26/mo full coverage including roadside assistance.

13. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I was just thinking mine was a little high until I started reading these.

Makes me feel pretty good about my $320 annual premium for full coverage on an '06 Honda 919.

State Farm. Age 35. Avg driving record(1 speeding ticket per year the past 8-10 years). No accidents, though.

14. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

state farm, 450 a year.
    97 ultra
    up until a few weeks ago i had a 32,000 dollar custom insured through them and the rate was 100 bucks more a month.
    37 clean record.. i think i have had 2 tickets total. we also have 2 cars and rental insurance through them and i have had something insured with them since i was 16.. maybe that helps.

15. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

I have State Farm as well and a pay a about $350/yr for full coverage on my 06' SV1000S. My wifes SV650S is a bit less. My understanding with State Farm is that they insure based on displacement not type of bike. 1000cc's is 1000cc's no matter if it is a crusier or sport bike. I paid a little more for my ZRX1200R but not too much. I've been happy with the rates from them on the bikes. I also have both our other vehicles and our home thru them so that may make a difference.

16. G23 4 ME

G23 4 ME

Quotes I recently got for full coverage ($500 ded.) in WA for my '01 Honda VFR:

Progressive...$330/yr.
    Geico.........$460/yr.
    Allstate......$1500/yr.

Allstate is who my homeowners and other vehicles are through so I called the agent to say WTF? Amazing how he could magically reduce that rate to around $500/yr on the spot when confronted with how outrageous his quote was. This just confirms for me that the insurance industry is a complete scam, how is it possible to arbitrarily lower the rate by two-thirds just like that? Were they just trying to see if I would blindly pay that premium without shopping around?

The above quotes were for 30 yo rider with clean record and rider safety course.

17. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

Forgot to add, getting back to the OP question about Progressive...

My quote from Progressive with my HRCA & homeowners discount was still $785/year. My State farm rate is well under half of that price with slightly better coverage.

I definitely think that Progressive's rates are totally unreasonable.

18. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

For my 2004 BMW R1100S, with me being 39, no speed tix. Geico only charge me for under 600 a year.

Fnfalman, I'm surprised that your prem is bit higher. Is it because you told them you wore loud and bright leathers? :p

-ChaZ

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You gotta remember that Arizona insurance rates are a lot cheaper than California or New Mexico.

20. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

I'm 25 and pay about $750 a year for my '03 BMW K1200GT

I have State Farm. Full Coverage, $500 Deductable. Completely clean driving record, EVOC card on file, Safe Driver discount, and multiple vehicle discount.

When I was 24, State Farm was the cheapest out of everybody. Progressive being $2600 a year and State Farm being about $1400 less.