close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bike #3.... Kawa ZRX1100

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by J.R. Bob Dobbs, Aug 15, 2006.

1. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

...green, of course, a 2000 model in minty condition. Should be quite a bit more responsive than my 750 Nighthawk :) I pick it up Saturday.

Been looking at used liter-class standards for a few months, also considered Bandit 1200 (too "jappy") and Honda 919 (don't want EFI), decided on the retro-look Zrex.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Just don't get too "happy" with the throttle.

3. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

A buddy of mine bought a red one.
    Snappy acceleration until you run out of gears.
    Cool retro look to it too.

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Sorry, but not my cup 'o tea.

However, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Yeah, I'm definately aware that it'll come up quick if given too much throttle in 1st. The two hour ride home should be a grinner. Any hooliganism on my part would be completely unintentional and likely have a bad ending.

6. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

I had an '02 1200 and it was a blast. If it had fuel injection and a 6spd it would have been perfect.:supergrin: It's heavy but it does come up (or at least that's what I've heard :upeyes: ). Enjoy it and keep the carbs clean. Big following over at zrxoa.org

7. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Once you have a fuel-injected bike, you will never go back. The injection on the Honda 919 is superb. The throttle response is incredible and the bike is in tune at any altitude. A modern, well-engineered fuel injection system will give better gas mileage, better performance, better reliability and less maintenance over the life of the bike.

I had a Honda 919 for a year and a half or so. It was by far the nicest bike I ever owned, up until my most recent one. The 919 is an exceedingly fun bike and it has power to burn. I do like the ZRX's as well though. They are a more traditional bike and they produce a lot of torque. It is a fun ride too. I wonder if Kawasaki will come out with a ZRX-1400???:supergrin: Eric

8. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I picked up the Zrex yesterday, and took it for a mountain ride this morning. :hearts:

As of yesterday I was going to keep the Nighthawk, but have just parked it on my driveway with a "for sale" sign.....I just don't see myself ever choosing it for a ride over the green machine.

9. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

The sales manager at the dealership I bought my ZX14 at has a 2000 ZRX-1100 for sale with more than 79,000 miles on it. The bike still looks almost new and runs great. He obviously took good care of the bike, but it is a testament to the quality and engineering of the ZRX that it is still ready to roll after that many miles. It is a hell of a bike. If they do come out with a ZRX-1400, I will be the first guy in line to get one, although I will keep my ZX14 as well.:supergrin: Eric

10. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

79k miles and still going strong, that's great to hear. Mine has a paltry 6500 miles on it. I ride about 1k/month so the miles are going to start building fast.

11. Gothmog

Gothmog in the tube

I could name a half dozen or so guys over at the zrxoa that have over 100K on their Rex's, myself not included.

12. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Here's a pic of my old 02 ZRX1200R:

[​IMG]

She'd pull hard to 150mph on the speedo, and lift the front-end real smooth at lower speeds. I flogged her like a $2-dollar-mule for 5,000 miles before I decided that I'd pushed my luck far enough. That was my first streetbike.

EDIT: you can see bits of my old 2001 CR500R harescrambles bike parked behind the ZRX. That CR was pretty strong too.