close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bigger Threat: Knife or Gun?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dr. Leaky, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

So as I walked into a store yesterday I saw a guy walking toward me heading for the exit. Right off I noticed that he had a sheath knife on his belt, probably about 14 inches in length, and the low-level alarms started up. Why would someone walk around town with a big knife on his belt? As I passed him I noticed the bottom end of a holster visible on the other side of his belt and I started to relax - I realized that someone with a gun seemed like less of a threat than someone with a knife. Maybe I'm just more of a gun guy than a knife guy, but it did seem strange. I always have a folding knife with me but I still don't get carrying a big sheath knife around.

2. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I routinely carry a Spyderco Temperance fixed blade which is a good 10" or so in length, especially during hunting season.

But the bigger question here is why would you be worried about what someone was carrying at all? Unless they're acting weird, no reason for alarm.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

3. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

Probably no more than that it was unexpected. You see a lot of guns here but not a lot of knives.

4. Drjones

Drjones

Gun is a bigger threat to me, since I'm almost always carrying myself. I'd rather my opponent bring a knife to our gunfight. :)

That said, I think I'd rather get shot than stabbed/slashed. Casual browsing of topics like this over the years, I've seen photos & read of the aftermath of knife wounds.

I'd like to hear from our resident experts, but a knife can certainly be more devastating than a gun, especially if the attacker knows how to use it at all.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

:dunno:

6. 220-9er

220-9er

I would evaluate the threat by the actions of the person with a weapon, not the weapon itself.
    I don't want to be stabbed or shot.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I think it all depends on the end use is. I really think you could do a lot of damage with a knife in a dark theater that is semi-crowded, over what you could do with a pistol.

I wouldn't want to only depend on a knife for my own protection though. I like the idea of not having to go hand to hand if not necessary. I won't lie many people are stronger than I. Besides, carry laws in Ohio for knives are pretty bad.

8. guyandarifle

guyandarifle

A knife as a weapon of intent is a very deliberate and personal thing. For instance, there isn't a big problem with innocent people being injured in drive-by knifings.

Growing up in the South even as a kid I got used to the idea that practically everybody I knew had a knife on them. We'd wear folding knives to school on our belts. (that'd probably get a SWAT team called in these days)

Perhaps if I saw someone obviously trying to conceal a big Bowie knife under their jacket I might wonder "Exactly why would one feel a need to be doing that?" but, as others have stated, there's much more to consider.

Honestly, if you wanted to see my radar start pinging, have me standing around in the local grocery and some dude walks in with a baseball bat. Think about it.

9. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

I've heard of LE agencies training that a knife is a more dangerous threat due to the ability to cause a more severe wound. The whole 2-second 20-foot thing and all that...

10. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Whenever I find myself questioning whether someone else "needs" something, I smack myself.

11. Unk

Unk

Distance can be your GOOD friend..well along with time and speed.

Old guy now and haven't seen all that many big sheath knives worn outside big game seasons/areas. Used to see a lot of folders in belt sheaths, fewer now that many folks have gone to knife clips for pocket carry.

I carry an auto knife, because I can, for cutting stuff and a firearm for SD- both concealed.

Now wild eyed guys with open carry swords or machetes rate an extra look.. or two

Best,

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'd never underestimate a knife, but someone carrying one in a sheath...BFD.

Someone skilled with a knife is easily just as much a threat as a handgun at contact range.

13. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Frankly, I wouldn't want to be hit with either.
    Shot or stabbed, still intense bodily harm. However I think there's a stigma about it since in the movies and such we dont get much of a visual for a guy gettin shot. Its more of a POP then he falls over. However if you think of movies like Psycho, being stabbed looks pretty gruesome. :shocked:

14. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Watch a film of a trainer who works under the name of Southnarc, who I know, demonstrate knife tactics just one time, and you will be scared to death of what someone who knows what they are doing, can do with a knife.

He makes Vin Diesel in Pitch Black look like a piker. :supergrin:

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

This guy will cut you so many time your cuts will have cuts..

http://inosanto.com/

Took a seminar of his years ago he is still the man.

16. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Personally, I'm more concerned about 'the other guy' having a gun, than I am with 'him' having a knife.

I've been cut. (Hand) I've been stabbed. (Arm)
    Yes, a knife can do some damage, but, a gunshot is more tissue (and organ) damaging.

17. ldrichard

ldrichard

I've been shot (arm), and I've been cut (abdomen).

If you pull a gun on me, I'll try to talk you down.

If you pull a knife on me I'll fill you so full of .45ACP lead
    they'll need a forklift to carry you off.

18. 427

Knives are intimate weapons.

If I'm reasonably close, I'll bet I can get my knife out and close the distance and use it before most people get their handgun drawn. Besides, most people don't know how to fight and depend on distance for (false) security.

19. VinnieD

VinnieD

I'm from the deep south. It's generally expected that someone has a knife. You might get funny looks if you don't have one. Generally when I see a large knife it's usually a nice hunting knife, often with a handmade leather sheath and bone handle that the owner just likes to show off. That or the tacticool types in the gun store with their SOGs and Ka-Bars. It's the knife you don't see that you should worry about.

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Biggest threat to me is TIME, which usually translates to distance. I have no real way of knowing that the meekly dressed nerdy looking guy with the 4" blade won't slice me to shreds more than the biker dude with the 13" mini-machete.