Big Stick, no love!

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by glockzilla10mm, Apr 10, 2016.

1. glockzilla10mm

glockzilla10mm SAFETY PIN CRITIC!! Lifetime Member

For a number of years, I sought to develop my own hybrid art system due to the fact that I am a lifelong veteran of cerebral palsy, and walked on Canadian crutches. Commonly called forearm crutches, they. Are very much like a tonfa or pr24 baton.
    I repeatedly broke many a pair of the weaker aluminum versions on heavy bag workouts and redesigned them and built a pair from stainless pipe that weigh roughly 2.5 times each what an aluminum crutch does.
    Needless to say they are coconut crackers!

Now that I am older, I am considering iron palm training, but I wonder...is there sound martial science to support what is seen on YouTube and other venues, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    I know for a fact that Dim Mak techniques are effective if properly applied, as the art of medicinal acupuncture is closely associated with the roots of Dim Mak.
    From the best I can tell, iron palm and dim mak are often mistaken, intertwined and misrepresented as well, but I digress.
    Any thoughts on how I could best approach this training?
    Thanks!

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

There's been a lot of info overload on these topics in recent years, and you're right in that they're frequently tied together by some sources.

While over simplifying it somewhat, I'd be inclined to avoid the potentially harmful zealous methods sometimes put forth as iron palm training (especially with an underlying health issue), and look more toward the internal methods that emphasize breathing techniques in order to control and focus chi. Mental visualization can be helpful, as consciousness has a direct influence on what is created outside the mind.

Even stick (extension of self) training can benefit from continuing attempts to master breathing.

Dim mak may seem more interesting than learning sensitive nerve pressure points and points which affect breathing and chi flow, but quack sources abound. There are benefits to delving into the breathing and chi stimulating methods, other than to use against others.

glockzilla10mm likes this.

3. glockzilla10mm

Heard someone say that hurting people is easy, to be great you must first learn to heal.

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

When I was going through Bowen Therapy training I had a couple of the instructors observe that I seemed to have a better grasp of anatomical points than someone who just had learned them through normal anatomy classes and training.

My response, the first couple of times, was that it was gratifying to be able to apply the knowledge and experience I'd acquired in the martial arts, in causing injury, to now being able to learn to heal. I stopped using that explanation after the first couple of times it seemed to make other students and instructors uncomfortable. Few of them seemed able to reconcile the notion that someone who had trained in martial arts would be interested in learning to heal. Rather a limited Westernized misconception.

glockzilla10mm likes this.
  5. glockzilla10mm

I can see a certain amount of fear there that a Western mind would automatically want to learn the technique to use it in a violent manner.
    Martial arts instructors from the east back in the good old days were known to be quite secretive for that very reason.
    Problem is, my options are already limited as hell, and I don't look for a fight.
    I'd rather heal than hurt anyway. But an MD can hurt you really bad, because he KNOWS where to strike, use a blade etc. offensive and defensive technique is desired here. If I can slap a dude on the shoulder and dislocate or damage the joint to where he can't use a knife or gun with that arm, without taking his life, I may be wrong, but to me that's an effective defense. If he continues...I will do what I can, and what must be done.