close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big racked doe

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Nov 8, 2002.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Interesting story. I've heard it can happen, but supposedly not with such a nice rack.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1108doe08-ON.html
    D'oh! Hunter shocked to find deer was a doe
    Associated Press
    Nov. 8, 2002 12:45 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. - Hunting in unfamiliar territory, Joe Kiefer was thrilled to bag a 250-pound mule deer with symmetrical antlers, each with five points and 18 1/2 inches wide.

Then, when he went to butcher the animal, excitement gave way to amazement.

"There were no male parts down there," Kiefer said. "It looked like a male at the head end, but the undercarriage was all female."

Kiefer, 31, of Chewelah, never expected anything like the antlered doe he shot Sunday in Douglas County in the central part of Washington state.

"Most people don't believe the deer came from Eastern Washington," he joked. "They think it has to be a cross-dressing city slicker from Seattle."

Kiefer was about 100 miles from his usual haunts.

"My buddy, Todd West in Wenatchee, said he'd take me deer hunting over in sagebrush country if I would take him turkey hunting in my area," Kiefer said. "When you've hunted for whitetails in all this brush for so long, the chance for a mule deer hunt sounded real good."

After sunrise, he recalled, "deer were popping up out of nowhere" and a splendid five-point animal appeared several hundred yards away.

"That's a long ways away for a guy who's never shot a deer farther away than about 100 yards," Kiefer said, "but the antlers looked huge."

The first clue that this was no ordinary deer was that most of the velvet was still on the antlers. Bucks rub off the velvet on trees, brush and saplings at the start of the mating season in late summer.

"I took lots more pictures because I knew no one would believe me," Kiefer said.

Jack Reneau, record keeper for the Boone and Crockett Club in Missoula, Mont., said he had never heard of such a big-antlered doe. The club will solicit information on its Web site to try to determine whether Kiefer's kill is a world record for does.

According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, antlers appear on about one in 20,000 whitetails, but information on the occurrence in mule deer is more sparse.

Kiefer said a Washington state wildlife biologist told him a female deer occasionally sprouts one or two fuzzy spikes.

In any event, the kill was legal. Kiefer's buck tag was valid because state hunting regulations refer to "antlered deer" and "antlerless deer," rather than to bucks and does - precisely for such situations.

2. hpg

hpg

I'm so disappointed, I was expecting a big breasted, blonde, babe, not a deer.-hpg;i ;i

3. GUNZEALOT

GUNZEALOT Up all night

I saw a article in the Pioneer Press a few days ago that a guy in MN shot a 13 pt whitetail doe that dressed out around 200lbs. It's pretty amazing when a doe gets that big and grows a nice rack.

4. hpg

hpg

Gunzealot,
    It is amazing about some of the antlered does you read articles about occasionally. A few years back I read somewhere that a doe with antlers was taken during deer season and her antlers had not hardened like normal antlers. They were more like a silicone or rubber based material instead of hardened bone(calcium) like normal antlers. hpg;P

5. GUNZEALOT

GUNZEALOT Up all night

Here is the article about the 13pt doe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Wed, Nov. 20, 2002

FALL FIELD REPORT: Buck's no buck after all
    BY JIM OLICHWIER
    Pioneer Press

A Willmar, Minn., man found something unusual when he examined the 13-point buck he shot during the firearms opener. As he field-dressed the deer, he discovered it was actually a doe.

Tom Schneider shot the 200-pound deer northwest of Willmar on Nov. 9. He said the female body parts included a dry milk sack and four nipples.

Chris DePerno, farmland deer pro-ject leader for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, said does with antlers are rare. DNR officials discovered a small-antlered doe during their recent survey for chronic wasting disease, he said.

"It does happen every so often," he said. "Something hormonally happens to the doe during its development."

There were two cases of antlered does killed by hunters in 1998. A 12-pointer was shot near Lakeville and an 8-point doe was killed in northwestern Minnesota.

Schneider said he is having the deer head mounted.

6. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

This situation is easily avoidable. Just look for the rainbow sitcker on the rear end. That will point to a x-dressing doe everytime! ;f