Big IR oops

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Jun 28, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I picked up an IR filter. After it was delivered today, I went out to play with it between the storms. I made a few
    mistakes which lead to extensive PSing. In the end, this is what I wound up with.

[​IMG]

ISO 200
    f/8

I needed ISO 100. I didn't think to set CWB. I will fix both of those when I try again.

Focusing is a challange because it is REALLY hard to put the IR filter on without disturbing the lens! :shocked:

I shot in RAW and converted to TIFF. After PS, I transferred to Neat Image to reduce the noise but
    being the demo I can only save as JPG which added some artifacts. I did not do any sharpening
    on the image and I shot it with the kit lens.

I didn't alter the exposure. I mainly tweaked colors then converted to b/w.

What do you think?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Seems strangely out of focus or unsharp, like after blowing up an image 200% and softening it up. Could you try hyperfocal focusing? Pre-calculate the range for the given aperture and distance and set it after putting the filter on. Use high aperture numbers for a good depth of field.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yeah, the f/stop is one of things I need to correct. It along with ISO and CWB are the three biggies.

I think the softness is from the filter/lens fogging. It is incredibly humid here and this was shot between storms. Camera and filter were both in the a/c beforehand.

Hyperfocal focusing is beyond me. I have never tried and nor do I have a clue how to start... I guess I ought to look that up. I don't know if any of my EF lenses have an infrared mark on them. I know most, if not all, of the FD ones do. If so, I am going to try that and see what happens.

All of that is dependent on today's weather. Lots more storms and so far no sun.