Big green egg grill, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Intolerant

Intolerant

2. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

$1900? Not a freaking chance.

3. Lazy R

Lazy R

I have a Kamado Joe Classic I bought for $699 about 7 or 8 years ago.

[​IMG]

I had an Ugly Drum Smoker I built, and a Weber Smoky Mountain previously. They work well but not in cold and breezy conditions, which happens here 13 months per year. I make a lot of jerky from wild game and temperature control over longer periods is essential. The Kamado made it much easier to do.

[​IMG]

Turkey, pulled pork, ribs, chicken, all come out fabulously, without having to watch the smoker too closely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But then I like playing with charcoal. A Traeger is very easy for set-and-forget, and that suits some folks well. Once you get to know your Kamado (or Egg or Primo or whatever) you can be at temp and cooking in no time. Just as fast as any other kind of charcoal grill. If it takes someone an hour and a half to make a hamburger, they're doing it wrong. I can be hot in 20 minutes and quickly sear a steak that is far better than any other way.

The Green Egg name got pretty expensive though. It's the Micheal Jordan Nike shoe of grills. I wouldn't spend $1900 on one; it's a glorified double walled clay pot. But if my Kamado tipped over and broke, I'd go get another one without a second thought.

4. berto62

berto62

I find it interesting how much people will pay for a grill. These are made in Austin. 3000 dollars and they can't make enough, there is a waiting list.
    Screenshot_20200606-165518.png

5. RenoF250

RenoF250

2nd of pellet. Traeger seems overpriced to me though PitBoss is much cheaper and seems to be just as well made. If Traeger was Made in USA I could see it but from what I can tell they are all made in China.

ranger1968 likes this.
  6. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

I have had Big Green Egg envy for years - but do not own one (yet) . I have watched Bobby Flay and Steven Raichlen cook , grill , roast and smoke such cool things on it you can't help but want one ! Then there are the accessories like the ceramic plate heat deflector for smoking , the ceramic pizza stone , etc. The Big Green Egg lump charcoal is the best made in my opinion (I have used with a Weber before) . While I'm a BGE fan , admittedly I have not looked at competing models seriously , so they may have their merits as well .

7. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

That’s in an entirely different league. It’s also friggin beautiful!

1eyedjack01 likes this.
  8. MaxB

MaxB

Weber kettle, vortex add on for seriously hot searing. As has been said, save your money for steaks and charcoal.

NJ1911 likes this.
  9. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

I've had a Weber Kettle all my life. I have a Weber gasser also. Suggesting those appliances are the same or can do the same things as a good quality ceramic komado style cooker is just plain untrue. Lots of poor advice in this thread from people that frankly don't know what they are talking about.

bubbatime and Lazy R like this.
  10. berto62

berto62

The specs say it weighs 600 lb, little bit of care and your great great grandkids will still be using it

11. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I have to agree with the posts re: Weber Kettle Grills...generations of Glock Talkers have been well fed off these grills...save the $ and buy more BBQ !

12. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*I b
    I bought a Vortex for my Weber - cool contraption for searing and indirect grilling !

MaxB likes this.
  13. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

One of my wife's cousins has one.
    They ARE nice, but, I'm not payin' that $$$ for a grill.

Her cousin cooked a 16 lb turkey in her "egg", and it was DELICIOUS, but, I'm still not payin' that kind of cash for a slow egg. :)

14. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

Let's clear a few things up.

Other Kamado grills will cook just as well as the Big Green, in fact exactly. These grills will range from equally expensive to relatively cheap.

Don't want to spent $2K for the BGE but interested in that type of cooking? Buy a Char-Griller Akorn Kamado. That's what I did. It has an insulated double steel wall and functions the same. You adjust the vent on the bottom and top to regulate the temp. 1/8" on both? You get 225F-250F for 15 hours for your brisket or pork butt, set it and sleep all night. Once in awhile I set it too low and get a temp alarm. Adjust vent, back to sleep. Open vents wide and sear a steak at 700F+. The grill is around $300. Wait until the end of July. You can pick them up for $150 when stores are clearing out for Xmas chit.
    [​IMG] '
    I had one for awhile. The cooking is awesome. I ended up with a Pit-Boss ceramic kamado from Walmart. Again, cooks the same as a BGE, usually $700-$800. Got it for $399 in July.

Myth about warm up from poster. Your buddy is clueless. Be a friend. Buy him a Map Torch kit and throw on the steaks after 15 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Again, you don't have to "pay to play" if you want to cook equal to a Big Green Egg.

NJ1911 and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  15. SRS

SRS

I have a BGE, and if I were to buy again, I’d buy the Costco version of maybe another version. I helped a friend assemble his Costco version (don’t remember the brand name), and it was nicer then my BGE in almost every respect. And it was way cheaper. I’ve also been unimpressed with BGE customer service.

The comments on long prep/cooking time are a little surprising to me. I don’t notice anything longer than a regular charcoal grill.

16. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

NO! That's a BBQ snob grill.

byf43 and Bow Commander like this.
  17. glockophile42

glockophile42

First match to table, 45 minutes for a better-than-restaurant steak on my humble Weber.

I had a buddy with the Big Green Egg, just TOO much bother getting it heated up.

byf43 likes this.
  18. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Him or the egg?

flyover, FullClip, SRS and 2 others like this.
  19. dkf

dkf

Takes way to long to cook stuff on it for me. Some channels I watch they cook some damn nice stuff on it, but I don't have 10-16 hours or so plus prep to cook some of the stuff they do.

20. glockophile42

glockophile42

"Him or the egg?"

You. Funny.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.