Big Fun Today-Skycrane

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Wulfenite, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Cola took me on a little brunch flight today (he had breakfast, I had lunch). At the field Heilocopter Transport Services Inc. had a SkyCrane on station for the Forrest service. [​IMG]
    It looked just like this one.

We got to talk to the Crew Chief for quite a bit. He had just brought this bird out of a winter time full rebuild. It had 8 Hours on it since new engines, new paint, and a bare frame rebuild. It was absolutely gorgeous! That rear facing crew chief position has to be in the running for the Best Viewing Seat in Aviation.

The Chief said that the bird can fill up its 2400 gallon tank in less than 1 munute and dump the water in a couple of seconds. Its hard to appreciate how large that bird is till you stand next to it.

The blades are also very interesting. Every 10 inches or so along the length of the blade there is a cut. The cut extends completely through the thickness of the blade for about 1/2 the chord length. The Chief said the the blades on the Crane "cone" about 10 feet when they're at max gross. He said the cuts relieve the pressure on the bottom of the blade skin.

2. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

Dude, like I was SO blown away when he let us fly it!!

Just took a whiff outside...we might just need that thing over here. ;P