Big Dot sight vs. Ghost ring sight

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by KingWalleye, Aug 3, 2017.

1. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

I am buying a 590A1 and I can't decide between an XS Big Dot front bead only or to splurge and go with the Big Dot Ghost ring set.

I'm a little on the old side and my thinking is the front bead only will be faster for close range HD use and "close enough for Government work" at longer distances.

I've never shot ghost rings before so please do correct me if I'm mistaken.

2. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

For the most part ghost rings work just like a bead. You look at the target not the sight unless you are shooting slugs at distance and then you use the ghost rings just like a peep sight and concentrate on the front sight just as if you were using a rifle.

But for close in the ghost rings work just like a bead and you even notice several advantages to the ghost rings over the bead for close in work such as the barrel doesn't obscure as much of your target as a bead sight. Same concept applies to a vent rib in the sense that it gets the barrel out of the way. And nobody with any sense claims a vent rib with a bead is any slower than a plain barrel with a bead.

People will claim they are slower and I guess if you have never trained with the system its easy to see how you can make that comment. But a small amount of effort in terms of focusing on the target not the front sight is all you need to make a ghost ring as quick as a bead.

Jsferrazza likes this.

3. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

I prefer to leave the factory bead style front sight and slip on fiber optic.
    For me this is the quickest set up for hunting moving small game and birds. Same with slugs for deer.
    For self defense same sight and stock, no pistol AR 15 tactical stock for me.

4. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

I prefer a big dot. They are good with slugs to 60 yards or so and much faster up close with buck.

The ghost ring sights in theory give accuracy to 100 yards with slugs, but in my experience the aperture is so large that it doesn't offer much more precision than sighting using the bead and flat on the receiver.

My work used to issue the Mossberg with the giant ghost ring sights. They didn't offer up any more precision or speed in actual use on the range. With very careful aim they maybe aided with slugs at long range, but that was debatable.

My tastes in shotguns have migrated back to basics. A bone stock bead sight 870 and a Surefire fore end are all I require these days.

KingWalleye, Pepiot and OttoLoader like this.
  5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've never been a fan of Ghost Rings and now, with age, that any kind of iron sights are getting hard to see, I use Red Dots and laser/lights on all my defense guns, shotguns, rifles and handguns, and many other guns.

6. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

I have ghost rings on my 870 but I set it up specifically to give me accuracy at distance with slugs, it was a duty gun. If I were setting one up for home defense I would go with the big dot only.

KingWalleye likes this.
  7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Go to Gunsite. Take the shotgun course. You will end up with Ghost Rings on your shotgun and you will be thumping pepper poppers (smaller steel targets) at 125 yards with slugs with boring regularity...

Nothing wrong with a bead. Ghost rings will extend the effective range of a shotgun. Not just my experience but the experience of almost everyone in my shotgun course as well...

8. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

If ghost rings are so terrific why does most top tier competition shooters use beads or fiberoptic beads?
    I have used all sorts of shotgun sights and found beads to be superior at all ranges up to 50 yds.
    Long range slugs I use rifled barrel with sabots and Rem 870 has rifled sights.
    Up close ranges and fast moving targets beads are the way to go for me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    KingWalleye likes this.
  9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

No argument when using shot at 15 yards and under which is what most competitors deal with...

10. seamaster

seamaster

I had ghost ring sights and I changed back to a bead.

For max distance yes the sights are better but there's no situation that I need that accuracy over the speed of pointing the gun like I've been doing since I was 12.

Here's a test you can do to help decide if ghost rings are better for you. Test yourself on the trap AND skeet ranges. You're buddy throwing a target isn't the trap range and it isn't skeet! If you can hit clay targets with the ghost ring sights as effectively as a bead then go for it.

11. badge315

badge315

I like the Big Dots, and I have one with a tritium express-type rear sight on my 870.

[​IMG]

KingWalleye likes this.
  12. strambo

strambo

Not
    Not at all a valid test if the shotgun is for HD use. Hitting a man in the chest at close range (or any range) is way different that a fast-flying 4" clay disk. Shooting multiple realistic moving torso targets bead vs. ghost ring would be a valid test though...

13. barth

barth

Never used a ghost ring.
    But am very happy with the XS Big Dot on the nose of my Mossberg Shockwave.

14. Wizzz

Wizzz

Big dot for me! It's very accurate and easy to pick up. Customer support/service is also a big A+! Highly recommended!

15. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Surely you aren't trying make the case that a slower, bigger, closer, target is harder to hit than a faster, smaller, farther target? Because in my experience you don't start of with fast, small and further out...you start with slow, big, and close and work your way up!

16. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Fellas...when it comes to close in work with a shotgun if you are looking at the sight you are doing it wrong. And if that's the case it doesn't really matter how big or glowing the front sight is...

17. boost1

boost1 Whooshhhhh

Who needs a sight on a shotgun for self defense? Weapon mounted flashlight to verify your target and pull the trigger.

18. seamaster

seamaster

I must be hitting my targets wrong, oh wait, it's hits that count right?

19. strambo

strambo

A bead may be better than a ghost ring for HD....but hitting clays is not an apples/apples "test" of that is all I'm saying. For instance, the attributes that make a bead much better hitting small fast-moving clays at dozens of yards could be totally moot at HD distance on a chest making them equal with the nod going to ghost rings for accuracy at range as a bonus.

Run them each through something like an IDPA stage in low light and that would be a better "test."

20. seamaster

seamaster

You'll figure it out!