close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Bang theory question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hammerkill, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammerkill

hammerkill chinese name but all american Silver Member

I don't know much about the big bang theory but what I gather it tries to explain the origins of the universe. Here's what has me discombobulated, what was before the Big bang? It doesn't make any sense when someone uses this model as a theory for the creation of the universe. Are they saying there was nothing then something? I theorize that there is an intelligence behind all this. To say that we are here due to some random gathering of molecules strikes me as a stretch of imagination. If anything the universe is proof of GOD.

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Penny is so hot on that show.

Sheldon is kinda kooky.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

There's a number of theories. One is that the Big Bang is cyclical. In other words before the Big Bang there was another Universe that was contracting. When it reached the point of critical mass so to speak the Big Bang happened.

I'm sure there will be others along to discredit my theory. Not saying it's correct since there's no evidence to support this. But it is one possibility.

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Bazinga !!!

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

I can't stand Sheldon. Leonard is funny and you're right, Penney is hot!

6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

What came before the Great Intelligence?

7. Lampshade

Lampshade

I am so totally shocked that you don't understand the Big Bang very well.

Really.

Utterly.

Completely.

Shocked.

8. Halojumper

Halojumper

Funny thing is, I think the big bang theory is just as ridiculous as the creation theory (okay, maybe not quite as ridiculous), but I admit that I don't offer up and better alternatives.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

You're already incorrect. The "Big Bang" theory tries to explain the time evolution of the early universe--how it developed from its initial state into what we see today. That's not the same thing.

That's part of why the "Big Bang" theory is not a theory about the creation of the universe.

A couple of points--first of all, which "they"? Different cosmologists have different answers.

Secondly, in physics, there is "nothing then something" all the time. Literally millions of trillions of times each second, particles pop out of nothing and then vanish just as quickly.

Thirdly, I'll go back to my first point--the "Big Bang" theory does NOT say that. Big Bang cosmology is about "after the something came to exist, here is how it developed over time to become the universe we live in today, and here the observational evidence we've collected that backs up the mathematical equations that make up our theory."

In physics, a "theory" isn't a word or a sentence or a book. It's equations. The Standard Model, the theory of particle physics, can be summarized in a single equation*.

That's why your next sentence sets my teeth on edge, as a physicist:

No, you don't. Not in the way a scientist means it, at any rate.

You say "theory" but what you really mean is "I feel like this could be true." Nothing wrong with that at all--I'm not discounting your feeling or saying that you shouldn't be thinking about it--but mixing the scientific meaning of the word "theory" with idle thoughts like this is asking for trouble.

The list of things which seem ridiculous, yet were predicted by the math and then subsequently observed, is incredibly long.

People laughed when Zweig and Gell-Mann first suggested that there might be things which have a fractional charge which make up a proton. "Where are they?" people asked. "Why haven't we seen them yet?" When Gell-Mann said "I've done the math, and it turns out if you try to pull them apart it requires so much energy that new ones pop into existence out of nothing and make new protons, so you can never see them" do you think people believed him?

Of course, the reason why we know this story is that it turned out to be true. We now call those particles quarks. There is a whole raft of scientific evidence that proves their existence.

Same deal with the Big Bang. Some folks wrote down the equations, and some other folks looked at them and said, "If these equations are correct, then they predict that X must also be true, so I'm going to go look for X." The Big Bang theory has passed every such test so far.

(*if anyone's interested, the entire SM Lagrangian can be seen here)

10. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

If scientist can determine that the sun consists of three layers and what the temperature is at the core from 93 million miles away, something as simple as the big bang is easy.:supergrin:

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Devildog, what is your best understanding of where the universe came from?

And of course, try to put your answer into GT English:)

I have the point of view that science can say nothing about religion, and religion can say nothing about science. Religion is about the super-natural, and science is about the natural. I say that even though I am an agnostic.

Thanks :) And of course the follow up questions will likely be, "and what did that come from?" and so on.

12. Halojumper

Halojumper

The sun exists today and can be analyzed with spectroscopy. The past is not as easy to verify.

13. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

If religion had stopped at "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" we could have avoided the slaughter of hundreds of millions of people.

Not that science with its "let us figure out who will be born with some perceived genetic defect and kill them before or even after they are born" mentality is in any way better.

A pox on all their houses.

14. Swiper

Swiper

I believe that before the Big Bang there was another universe. Our universe will continue to expand until it reaches a certain point, in which it will start to contract back into itself again. One day our universe will collapse on itself and create a new Big Bang.

You don't think that the belief in God is a lesser strength of imagination?

What was before God? Did he appear from nothing? Was he created? Who created him? Why was he created? What did he do before he created Earth? Living in perpetual boredom?

15. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Wait, let me guess: you doubt the earth is more than 8,000 years old too.

You saying that it makes no sense to you but then in the same breath saying that God creating it all does makes no sense to me.

Oh and for the record: not an atheist (but also not an idiot)

16. hammerkill

hammerkill chinese name but all american Silver Member

God always was and always will be. I believe that God is beyond time and space. That is the only explanation for where did God come from.

17. Ironbar

Ironbar

Dude, get real. If triangles had a god, he'd have three sides.

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

I don't think you understand what "science" is.

This part of that sentence

is science. The rest is something else.

Science is about seeking knowledge. What people choose to do with it is their responsibility.

Experimental evidence for the Big Bang is all around us today. Just because something has already occurred doesn't mean it can't be studied.

19. devildog2067

devildog2067

Your choice is your business, but there is no scientific evidence to support your choice. Why bother asking the question, if this is what you choose to believe?

20. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Yep, that's the only possible explanation.......*cough*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.