close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bifurcation Point - My Update

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Feb 2, 2006.

1. DBradD

DBradD

I think I'm at a fork in the road. I started almost exactly 4 months ago, trying to go from 202 down to 10% bodyfat. I had mine checked yesterday and it was 9.5% at 172 lbs, so I think it's time to go to another stage. I'll try to hold steady through this semester from Hades and then start seriously bulking up in May.

There have been several threads lately on the subject of dropping fat so I'll spell out what I did if anybody's trying to get started and is interested. My method was very conventional - rigorously count calories - EVERY calorie, and keep it at 1500/day, which is about 500 below what I need to maintain bodyweight per the various calculators I located. I aimed for a distribution of 30%/50%/20% of calories from protein/carbs/fat. Absolutely completely cut out fast food and don't miss it a bit - seems absolutely gross now and I can't believe I ate that crap before. When I am out and must eat, I get a grilled chicken salad or grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo, etc. My wife and I came up with some very low-cal desserts that helped at times, usually some 60 calorie pudding with 20 calories of whipped topping or something similar. Switching from all diet soft drinks for caffeine to green tea seems to have helped, but I can't be sure if it's placebo. I probably blew my target calories by more than a hundred or two about once every other week, so I had fair precision, but not perfect.

I think diet was 90% of the picture, but I did a fair amount of cardio and weights about 2-3x per week also. I had a couple of small plateaus and busted them mainly by cranking up the exercise.

My wife's down 27 lbs also, doing exactly the same thing except slightly less exercise. I obviously am recommending this type of approach to anybody who is trying to get started losing fat.

DBD