Bicycles, anyone ride recreationally?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BamaTrooper, Sep 19, 2020.

1. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Looking to get a new bike. My last one was a used Giant that someone swiped when I left it unlocked. I’ve seen three main brands while looking:
    Giant- Roam
    Trek -Verve
    Specialized- Crossroads

I’m looking for a hybrid with hydraulic disc brakes. Any suggestions other than these three?

Resqu2 likes this.
  2. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

I ride a Salsa Fargo and love it.

SlickCZ85 and Glock1963 like this.

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Yesterday I saw a dude about 27 riding a bike while smoking and carrying a McDonalds bag.

I called him a habitual violator.

4. MrPizza

MrPizza

I ride to work, and I ride mtn bikes. Great fun!

Been riding mtb since i was 13

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I have a couple of Treks. One is my old duty bike, the other is my "current" duty bike they haven't picked up, yet. Soon, I will only have one Trek bike. Ours have been very solid. I've put thousands of miles on mine and only had to put air in tires and oil on the chain.

K. Foster likes this.
  6. FoatieFiveACP

FoatieFiveACP

I ride mountain bikes. Always with a Glock either on my belt or in my Hill People Gear chest bag (when I am on USACOE land, which normally prohibits carry, but allows it if you have a permission letter from them, and keep it concealed).

Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions for a bike for you.

motorcycleman and Resqu2 like this.
  7. Glock1963

Glock1963

Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check
    All City Space Horse
    Salsa La Raza

Those are my four bikes. All of them are steel because, of course, steel is real. I’m a fitness/recreational rider and also commute on them routinely when the weather allows. It’s a great hobby that one can continue to enjoy and benefit from for many years.

wally1 likes this.
  8. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

What is the benefit of hydraulic over cable? I've used both on entry level bikes and I was unable to ascertain the difference.

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Supposed to be easier to adjust and stronger than caliper. They sure feel more responsive; like power brakes va no power.

Eddy Current likes this.
  10. TxDave

TxDave Senior Member

I've been very happy with my Specialized Stumpjumper over the years. I've owned a couple Treks many years ago. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.

11. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

I have an old Specialized Road Bike I bought new in 94. Think I have logged about 100,000 mile on it. I am looking into getting a new bike also. I am planning on getting a frame, and have it built up part I pick.

Craig's list has lot of bikes, some for super prices. I found as coupl of really nice road bike locally, just wrong size.

If you going to ride just a couple of time per month, cross bikes are nice.

Resqu2 and MrPizza like this.
  12. mannmadedesign

mannmadedesign

Specialized Rockhopper. My wife and I ride the ski slopes in the summer months. They put the bikes on the chairlifts and you can ride the trails down all day. Everything from the green runs (easy), the blue runs (medium difficulty). To the double black diamonds ( ER and Life flight plans encouraged if not mandatory). The scenery is absolutely amazing, especially in the fall.

13. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

I ride a Specialized but I've got a few others I've ridden over the years until they worn right out.

14. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

A couple of years ago, my Wife and I bought a pair of Kona Slice bikes. They are great bikes and now that the smoke has cleared, we'll take up riding them again.
    However, during the initial "shutdown" for the coof, I bought a couple of old Schwinn bikes. First up was an '88 Le Tour that I purchased for $65 and then an '84 World Sport that was procured of $65. I've pretty much restored the Le Tour and really enjoy riding it. It kinda makes me sorry I bought the Kona to be honest. This is the bike right here. It rides like a dream.
    20200303_204742.jpg
    When I get around to restoring the World Sport I'll probably ride that a lot too. Something about these old steel bikes, they ride so smoothly and they make you wanna go fast. Lol!
    I recommend getting an old Schwinn and fixing it up. All the parts and pieces you need to make one like new again are out there.

NMG26 and R*E like this.
  15. MrPizza

MrPizza

I have a specialized epic I ride mtb with. I built it in 2003. It still rides great.

My commuting bike is an old K2 zed x hard tail frame which was my first mtb. I added a rear rack and more road friendly tires and lights. Probably have 5000 off road miles on this one before it filled its current role. I would like a road bike for riding to work but the first two miles from my house are crappy gravel roads.

16. K. Foster

K. Foster

Concur with this. I’ve had a Trek for years, it’s been solid and trouble free.

17. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50 Silver Member

I have a Specialized Hard Rock Sport

18. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Trek has very liberal ownership if that matters to you.

19. Bradley T

Bradley T

I had a Trek Verve. Best bike I ever had. Previously I had Specialized Crosstrail hybrids- both with disk brakes. Mechanical disks are really better in every respect. The hydraulics were noisy and problematic. With hydraulics you just pay more initially for even more problems later.
    The Specialized bikes required replacement pedals, as the o.e. cheap flimsy plastic ones won't make it home without breaking. I never had to touch anything on the Trek!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020