close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Better accuracy from a rifled barrel or rifled slug?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ClydeG19, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Do you get better accuracy from a rifled barrel with a sabot slug or a unchoked (is it cylinder?) barrel with a rifled slug?

Secondary question...I've found places to get reduced recoil rifled slugs, but nowhere I have found sells reduced recoil sabot slugs. Any inside tips?

2. noway

noway

1st> a typical sabot loading today is far superior to any rifle slug. The proper deminsion of the sabot and the projectile being very aerpdynamic achieve the accuracy of that of most high-powered rifles. You have to test them to see for yourself.

Other than the trajectory being not as great as a typical 30cal bullet the sabot/slug combo allows for loooooonger and flatter trajectory than any typical rifle slug.

2nd> why do you want a reduce loading sabot slug? They key thing is speed in order to get that long flat trajectory that I key'd on above.

Never heard of a reduce recoil sabot. If you what reduce loading then the only inside tip is grab your shells and sbaot and load it they way you want it.

if you are recoil sensitive you have other options to reduce the recoil;
    > heavier gun
    > loonger barrel
    > 20ga
    > heavier and thicke recoil pad
    > etc....

3. tjpet

tjpet

I've generally found modified to be the best non-rifled choke to use.

For my money I haven't seen any difference in accuracy between a fully rifled barrel and a rifled choke tube.