Beta glucan enriched diet?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Jul 26, 2018.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My Doctor of MANY MANY years recently retired, so I had to find a new Doctor.

The new Doctor seems OK but he's REAL BIG on a Beta glucan enriched diet (what ever the Hell that is).

I've never been into the "eating nuts and twigs is good for you stuff" but I thought I'd give it a try.

He gave me a list of stuff to buy.
    Alaska Flour Co. Barley Breakfast Cereal and/or Barley Couscous.

Steel Cut Oats.

Old Fashioned rolled oats.

Barley Flour to make pancakes using coconut palm sugar. (I know this isn't going to happen, I don't cook)

and Ghee (clarified butter).

for starters.

So, any of you folks that knows what this stuff is..........
    what do I have to do to it to make it edible?

2. paul45

paul45

Not eat it?

3. Dave.1

Dave.1

I did a quick search and mostly it just looks like a high fiber diet. I'm sure there's more info that I didn't get about barley, but again, whole grain and high fiber.

Give it a try, couldn't hurt to have more fiber.

Dave

4. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Sounds like another maybe helpful chemical.

Dont know what your general health is, but keep in mind all carbohydrates are sugars. Whether it's refined, or whole grain rice. The only real difference is how much fiber is consumed with it.

My advice ( cause its the internet ) eat more quality meat and fats, like bacon :D

From webmd
    Vitamins & Supplements
    BETA-GLUCANS
    Overview Information
    Beta glucans are sugars that are found in the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, yeasts, algae, lichens, and plants, such as oats and barley. They are sometimes used as medicine.

Beta glucans are used for high cholesterol, diabetes, cancer, and HIV/AIDS. Beta glucans are also used to boost the immune system in people whose body defenses have been weakened by conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome, or physical and emotional stress; or by treatments such as radiation or chemotherapy. Beta glucans are also used for colds (common cold), flu (influenza), H1N1 (swine) flu, allergies, hepatitis, Lyme disease, asthma, ear infections, aging, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis.

People apply beta glucans to the skin for dermatitis, eczema, wrinkles, bedsores, wounds, burns, diabetic ulcers, and radiation burns.

Healthcare providers sometimes give beta glucans by IV (intravenously) or by injection into the muscle to treat cancerand to boost the immune system in people with HIV/AIDS and related conditions. Beta glucans are also given by IV to prevent infection in people after surgery.

Healthcare providers sometimes give beta glucans by a shot under the skin (subcutaneously) for treating and reducing the size of skin tumors resulting from cancer that has spread.

In manufacturing, beta glucans are used as a food additive in products such as salad dressings, frozen desserts, sour cream, and cheese spreads.

There are several beta glucan supplement products that claim beta glucans taken by mouth can only be absorbed if the product is prepared by a special patented process that “micronizes” beta glucan particles to a size of 1 micron or less. However, there is no reliable evidence to support such a claim.

5. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

To make it edible???
    Cover it with maple syrup

TBO likes this.
  6. Detectorist

Detectorist

Sounds like the latest supplement of the month.

Atomic Punk likes this.
  7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Low Carb/High Fat seems to have solid results.

J. Gambolputty and Atomic Punk like this.
  8. Detectorist

Detectorist

I'm not so sure the high fat thing is desirable.

9. RenoF250

RenoF250

Barley is good in beef stew. Oats are plenty edible as is or you can go for cheerios. Kashi GoLean Toasted Berry Crisp is very good and has oats etc. in it.

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Couldn't you just drink more beer?

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

11. J. Gambolputty

J. Gambolputty

Your new doctor wants you to get the diabeetus so he can sell you more drugs. It's what doctors do these days.

Atomic Punk likes this.