close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best way to store your Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jeanderson, Apr 17, 2012.

1. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

New to guns - just got a 23 gen 3. I have a biometric safe where I keep the gun with full magazine inserted, but no round chambered. If I need it: swipe finger, open safe, grab gun, cycle action and good to go. Is this common?

I know somebody with a .40 Ruger that insists you need to empty the magazine every month to keep the spring from loosing its effectiveness. Is this true of the Glock?

A side question: Is it OK to leave the slide locked open for a long time?

2. truetopath

truetopath

I store my Glock 27 fully loaded, and shoot more often than once a month so the mags get emptied then. You have to go with what you're comfortable with though. Happy Glocking!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Consider all guns to be loaded!

So why not keep one loaded? Especially if it is locked in the safe? Chamber one.

It is rare for a magazine spring to get weak from being loaded. If it does however, replace the spring.

It is also rare for the recoil spring assembly to get weak from the slide being locked back. Again, if it does, replace it.

I would hope most shooters replace their springs every 20 years or so whether they need to or not.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. sr975j

sr975j

mag springs dont weaken from being loaded, they weaken from constant loading and unloading. keep the mag loaded, whether you have one in the chamber or not is your decision. i keep one in the chamber all the time except for when it is being cleaned.

Sam

5. Glock+2

Glock+2

I don't know....but, no I don't carry it on me when I am home, some do....I just keep them within a few seconds reach, have a couple ready to go.

The others are stored in cases in a safe area.

6. Zeroskillet

Zeroskillet MIA 305

Springs do not "weaken" or loose effectiveness from being loaded. They get weaker with being extended and contracted.

Also why not "store" it chambered. Like others have said before....store however you feel comfortable, especially since you mentioned you are new to firearms. But once you get more comfortable you should maybe attempted leaving one chambered at all times. Keep your little fat fingers off the trigger/out of trigger guard and you are good to go.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

You don't need to :supergrin:unload the magazine but you might want to keep one round in the chamber.

8. Shocker73

Shocker73

On your waist or on your nightstand!!! The BG will have one in the chamber......:whistling:

9. Zeroskillet

Zeroskillet MIA 305

Taken from another thread today.

10. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

I always keep one in the pipe, one less chore to think about. As for mags, I've kept one loaded for 7 years and still good to go; you can always buy more mags.

Welcome to the dark side!

11. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Hope that's some help bud, & WELCOME!!!
    :wavey:

12. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

I carry except when I sleep. I decided not to go with the complex lock boxes due to failures I read about. I use a steel gun safe with a key on me as I sleep. This is due to having 6 kids at home. I get in fairly quickly and do not worry about electronic locks, cable driven motors, or unreliable Biometrics. Try the finger print thin with cold dry hands or very clean hands; too many failures for me.

The gun is loaded and a round is in the chamber. I have two other quick opening safes near, with ready weapons. Though I doubt I will need to fight an intruder, a few weeks ago, my neighbor was killed by a guy who kicked in the front door.

I also make strict habits on how I do things with the guns. I do not want to figure things out when I am suddenly awoken. One new addition to the bedside is electronic hearing protection that enhances non-gun sounds. It is a cool idea, because my hearing is not great and I will hear better and preserve what I have left.

13. sappy13

sappy13

I always keep one in the chamber And magazine fully loaded on all handguns. An empty gun is a worthless gun in a time of need

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

14. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

If your neighbor was killed by a guy who kicked in the front door, and said assailant is still on the loose, you might want to consider that you may have to fight.

I have let myself get fat and out of shape. I am not the biggest man in the world but I lifted free weights for years and did cardio. I am getting back into it now. You need to consider you might be fighting if your home is, God forbid, invaded.

15. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

Agreed 100% :whistling:

16. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I love my Glock but my go to weapon in the home is a 21" barreled short LOP Remington 870. I have hunted with one for years. It is like tying my shoes or brushing my teeth to handle one.

17. cciman

cciman

Why no round in the chamber if it is locked in the safe, unless others have access to the safe?

Why keep the lock the slide open?

No you will not "wear the springs out" by keeping mags loaded.

18. oldman11

oldman11

Weak magazine springs used to be an issue 30 or 40 years ago. Mostly in 1911 pistols, so we used to change magazines if we hadn't been shooting. In today's world I don't think it's an issue at all.

19. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco NRA Patron Life Member

So true. Even LEO's and CCW instructors tell you buy a shotgun and make it your first choice in hd. Your glock or whatever handgun should be your backup. Speaking of I will be buying a 870 through my pro pricing at work.

20. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Thanks all for the replies! Really surprised that everyone recommends I keep on in the chamber. After a little more range time and confidence in handling the weapon, I will do likewise. Just worried that I'll go to grab the gun and do so with my finger in the trigger guard. :shocked:

Thanks too, for the tips on magazines. Not going to worry about my full mag sitting there for a long time.