Best way to show support

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by eagle359, Jun 11, 2020.

1. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

I want to show my support for our local officers. What is the best way to do so?

2. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

first of all, thank you for your support! A few suggestions:
    1. Vote
    2. Write to your local politicians and representatives.
    3. Send a note of appreciation to your local PD, especially if you had a positive interaction with a particular officer. Emails are nice, but in many departments they will never get to the line officers.
    4. Food of some sort is always appreciated it as well, but only if it goes with a note so we know who you are. We received baked goods or other food with no note or from someone sketchy and we've just tossed it straight in the trash.
    4. Donate to the local officers benevolent association or similar, Concerns Of Police Survivors, the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund, or something similar that benefits officers families.

Mick's Lady likes this.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    All of the above, and I would like to add, if you see officers , TELL THEM .......something as simple as telling them " Thanks for being out there, a lot of people appreciate you" can go a long way... Kind words help, alot.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  4. John_AZ

John_AZ

One of the best ways our community shows their appreciation is by getting involved.

We have volunteers. They take the squads down to the drive through car wash. They deliver mail between stations (inter office stuff). Some are involved in investigations.

We have a citizens academy for a few weeks that people can attend to see the inner workings. They’ve since formed a group that does charity work for the department, doing fundraisers and bringing in bottled water and snacks. They’ve helped raise a lot of money and are working on getting community donations for another K9

Check to see if the union there has a charity. We have a ton of people begin to donate towards the fall time for our annual shop with a cop to get gift cards for the underprivileged kids that we take out shopping for Christmas presents for the families. Wouldn’t be possible without the community support. We go out for breakfast with the kids and then take them to Walmart or target to get presents for them and their families.

Gaston_Convert and Ohsheepdog like this.
  5. Ftttu

Ftttu

I was always humble when citizens said they were going to call or write about my good deeds, but I’d always tell them that a heartfelt “thank you” was enough.

Emails or written letters of support to the heads of agencies, especially in these dark days, is a big plus a long with friendly and heartfelt “thanks” when you see an officer out and about.

Ohsheepdog and ranger1968 like this.
  6. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Perhaps instead of food maybe 5-$10 gift cards for McDonalds, WaWa, local diner, etc, etc ?

7. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

Always a fine choice. Keep in mind though, most agencies have policies in place preventing officers from taking "gifts", so you should probably contact the PD first.
    And getting gift cards from establishments support or at least aren't out right against cops helps!

686 AR15 G17Fan and ranger1968 like this.
  8. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

Everything John said, especially the Citizen's Academy. We've had numerous people, including City Hall employees, go from neutral or against us to some of our biggest allies. You'll learn and see so much about the realities of the job instead of relying on rumors, Hollywood and MSM.

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g&feature=emb_rel_end

How having just a hint of what’s involved.

Ohsheepdog and slym2none like this.
  10. Mick's Lady

Mick's Lady

We've always donated to the PBA. I've also wrtten a letter to the Chief complimenting one of his officers. I was driving to town and saw a horse on the railroad tracks, with an officer scratching him. I always wanted to know what happend, but there was nothing in the local paper. About a week later, a bike cop was coming out of a neighboors house, (DV, normal for them) and I asked him if he could tell me what happened. He laughed, took off his helment and got off his bike and said; "Sure that was a good friend of mine and he posted about it on his Facebook page" The story isn't important, but he got his phone out showed me pictures and his buddies accout. It was hysterical! I'm a big time horse lover, and had been worried. He was great! Friendly and polite, and took his time with me, which he didn't have to do. Worth a letter, which I started, "I am hand writting this to emphasize how important this letter is" Small thing, but more people should do it. You guys need the support.

11. slym2none

slym2none

Would a sack full of Chick-Fil-A sandwiches be appropriate?

Ohsheepdog and BOOSTED12A like this.