Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
. And, like I said, you're a gun owner and you just gave your address and the information that you're a gun owner to a stranger.
Well, you sold him a gun, of course he knows you're a gun owner :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

While we are discussing paranoid possibilities, the buyer can just follow you home, stick you up with the gun you just sold him, and clean your safe out.

·
SuperOwner
8,016 Posts
While we are discussing paranoid possibilities, the buyer can just follow you home, stick you up with the gun you just sold him, and clean your safe out.
Or you can plan for this and distract him and have your wife take him out first (BTW, the Avery's were in their late 70s when this happened).

A McKinney, Texas, doctor has his wife's quick reflexes and .38-cal. revolver to thank for his life. Dr. and Mrs. Avery were returning from a gun show to their rural home when the doctor backed his car into the driveway and a small green car pulled in. A strange man emerged holding a rifle. He ordered Dr. Avery out of his car and pushed him to the ground, holding the rifle to the doctor's head. Mrs. Avery quickly drew her revolver and fired five shots at the assailant, possibly hitting him at least once. The gunman returned fire, hitting the Averys' vehicle several times, then sped away in his car. Police later recovered an abandoned green car with a bullet hole in the window and blood on the seat, but had not apprehended the gunman. (Dallas Morning News, Dallas, Texas, 9/11/2002)

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
Whenever I've sold a firearm privately I could care less what the FFL fee is.
The buyer pays it.
Not really how most people think -

Now if you could buy the same gun from two people - one charged sales tax the other didn't - would you pay both the same for the gun then fork over an extra $50 in sales tax to one of the buyers?

If I was willing to pay $500 for a gun - and the FFL fee was $40 - the most I would pay you for the gun is $460 if you are going to make me transfer the gun using a FFL.

If you didn't I would hand you $500 - call it good.

Now explain how you didn't get $40 less because you forced the FFL transfer?

But wait - I guess if you are only trying to sell it for $400 then I would give you $400 and pay the $40 fee - and be at $440 - under my price max - you just left $60 on the table because you didn't know how much the gun was worth.

Now if you want $500 for it - plus demand a FFl transfer - anyone that knows that the gun is really only worth $500 would tell you no thanks.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
Selling via FFL is the only way to be sure you are not on the hook, the whole Bill Of Sale thing is 20th century.
Is that some imaginary hook?

If you follow the state law there is no hook -

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
I sell to Texas residents no issues. I ask if they are Texas residents and proceede with the sale. If you are concerned, do a local FFL transfer. The ATF has visited me and I've either told them to go away or shown them a particular gun and made friendly. I've never provided evidence of a sale, just said I sold that gun.
You are not required to ask them if they are a resident of Texas - what good does that do anyway?
Same with all the other requirements - if you think they may be underage because they look like they are 17 years old - then you don't ask them if they are 18 - you ask for proof they are 18 (or 21 if that is the law)

If they say yes I am from Texas what have you accomplished? Better off not asking - unless you have a reason to think they may not be a Texas resident.

Say they pull up in a car Louisiana license plates and have on an LSU jersey and hat -

Then you should ask for proof they are a resident of Texas.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
I like that idea, I'll probably still go the FFL route. I just spoke with a store that will do it for $20.
I have bought and sold more than a few guns - Texas doesn't require much - I follow the law -

If someone wanted me to go do a FFL transfer I would say NO thanks.

What is it that you are afraid of? Find out the local law and follow it.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
Go tell that to Remington.

Anybody can be sued, except the person who nobody knows.
That is a really poor example - but Remington is a FFL - so what good did that do them?

EDIT:

Well the guy I sell to will not know who I am - so how will he or anyone else sue me?

My method is better - because like you say -

Anybody can be sued, except the person who nobody knows.

·
SuperOwner
8,016 Posts
That is a really poor example - but Remington is a FFL - so what good did that do them?
That is the point, even an FFL with PLCAA protection can get sued.

But only if you know there name. So you choose, do a BOS and have a paper trail right back to you, or do cash/gun/shake bye-bye.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
That is the point, even an FFL with PLCAA protection can get sued.

But only if you know there name. So you choose, do a BOS and have a paper trail right back to you, or do cash/gun/shake bye-bye.
I would never do a bill of sale - because Texas doesn't require it.

I have posted this before - but it is still a valid question.

If you sold a gun to a guy that ended up using it to commit a major crime - shooting spree - mass murder

Would you rather say - here is my bill of sale - I can prove I sold that gun to the crazy guy -

or - would you rather say -

I sold that gun 6 months ago - I can't recall who I sold it to - I am not required to keep track of that information and I did not..

Now for the record - if I did recall who I sold to I would admit to it - but I will say - honestly you could line up the people of the last few guns I sold FTF mixed in with a bunch of other folks and I doubt I could pick any of them out of a line up.

I could honestly say I don't know who I sold the gun to -

------------------
Not I am not sure how this - use a FFL to handle the transfer works - because that is not how I do it -

But there is a place on the form for Transferor’s/Seller’s Name - wouldn't that be the seller name?

So you are still leaving a paper trail back to yourself.

If you are expecting the FFL to put their name on that line - then you are asking them in effect buy the gun from you and sell it to the other person.

They are not going to do that for free - they would still want to know your identity - and then they would also need to charge sales tax on the sale.

So that $20 fee just also included $50 or whatever in sales tax.

EDIT :

I am saying had me the cash I give you the gun - Good bye.

I don't do paperwork - because Texas doesn't require it.

·
Registered
26,421 Posts
To answer the OP directly -

Find out what your state requires - and do the sale that way while wearing pants (to cover your ass)!

·
NRA Life Member
67,817 Posts
Thanks. In my life I've only traded/sold one gun and that was for a trade to a store that was an FFL.

I think what's on my mind is how to make sure my firearms go to the right person/people if I die? It would be hard to charge me with a felony postumously.
That law doesn't apply to inherited guns.

·
NRA Life Member
67,817 Posts
I said take the gun to an FFL, and NICS will vet the buyer as a prohibited person or not.
The law does not require me to "vet the buyer as a prohibited person or not," as long as I don't have any reason to believe he is.

·
King Doofus.
6,071 Posts
To cover my butt, I print up a simple bill of sale stating the gun is sold "as is", not stolen, and the buyer can legally purchase the firearm. Your state laws may vary but, here in Ohio, that's more than my legal obligation.

·
Formerly retired EE.
15,411 Posts
South Carolina
Well here is that the Sheriff of Lexington County says. I would consider this a starting point.

I personally like to do face to face transactions at a gun show. That way if the guy doesn't show you often can find a buyer (carry a sign). I had two guys standing around hoping the buyer I lined up wouldn't show.

Reactions: jd839013a
121 - 140 of 173 Posts