close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best way to cook dove?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by gunnin_em_down, Aug 31, 2004.

1. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

i've never had dove before. i'm going on my first hunt this season. i hear they taste gamey. what is the best way to cook them?

2. mudfootball

mudfootball

my favorite eatin game bird, wrap in bacon , grill. cant be bad, also seen them in an alfredo sauce over linguine. you cant mess it up just dont over cook it and it can be good a million ways
    kt

3. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Filet the breasts, sautee in butter. Hmmmmmmm.:)

4. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

Put a half of a jalepeno inside the breast bone, wrap in bacon, stick on the grill. Life doesn't get much better than those days......

Wes

5. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

I just limited out on dove this afternoon myself. I had too. They're so small and I'm so big I require 10 per meal. ;f

There are so many ways to cook them. The old tried and true method is to marinate them for 24 hours in Italian dressing, then wrap in bacon and grill. They're excellent this way.

Another way I "invented" last year is to take the meat off the breast bone, stuff with pepperjack cheese, wrap in bacon and then grill. Unfreakin' believable they were.

They're so good it's really hard to mess them up unless you just cook them to a crisp.

6. 357glocker

357glocker

Yep, that's the ONLY way to cook dove;f I like to go a step further though and marinate in italian dressing first. Cook on the grill until the bacon is done then dip it in a little ranch dressing before devouring the tasty morsel. BTW you should fillet it off the breast bone first and it will look like a chicken nugget.

7. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

so is the breast the only part of the dove you guys eat? or are they too small to eat much else?

8. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

I have done a few like quail (plucked, gutted) but it's just easier to breast them out. When I did leave them whole I usually stuffed them with some sort of stuffing, your choice depending on what you like, and baked them like a little turkey. They also work well on a grill if left whole. Just more work for not much more meat.

9. 357glocker

357glocker

The way I do it is "bend" the wings and legs out of the way and towards the back. This exposes the breast. Pull the skin from the bottom of the breast bone up to the dove's neck. You will see the entire breast meat exposed at this time. Using a small sharp pocket or fillet knife debone the breast by cutting down the center bone and out towards the wing. Do this on both sides and you will end up with 2 "chicken nuggets". Rinse the nuggets off, and cut out any bloodshot meat, and take any feathers that have been shoved into the meat from the shot. Let them soak in water overnight. Doing it this way leaves the carcass whole and you don't have many feathers flying everywhere. Good luck and let us know how you do.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I soak my dove overnight in buttermilk or regular milk; this takes out the "gamey" taste. It also helps, if you are to freeze the birds, to let them soak in water in the fridge for a while before freezing. In the water, add some baking soda. This will draw the blood out. If you do both of these things, there is no "gamey" taste.

As far as the cooking part, I like to wrap 'em in bacon, marinate them for 6-8 hours in teryaki, then grill. Baste 'em while they're grillin' then serve.

I've never heard of the jalapeno method. Sounds good though. I think the pepperjack has got to be tried this season.

I'm supposed to hunt on Sat. and Sun. I have 21 in the freezer from last weekend. This weekend should be interesting -- I just bought a Stoeger 2000 in Max4 Advantage. We'll see just how many I kill...