Best way to clean a black rifle

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Glockwalker, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Glockwalker

Glockwalker

Is this the best and fastest way to clean the AR style rifle? I'm thinking if you only shoot a few rounds 60 or so you could just open the bolt action and swab the barrel.

2. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

You can get by with a bore snake and applying fresh lubricant for a long time.

I often lock the bolt back and push a solvent soaked patch through the bore simply to swab out the majority of the crud and keep my bore snake from getting too dirty. Then bore snake it and reapply plenty of lubricant.

I have an AR for work that is kept impeccably clean. I don't have the time to worry about that with my play guns. My Rock River is a range fun only gun and a bore snake and lots of whatever lubricant I have on hand is all it gets except for a thorough break down and cleaning every couple of years.

IMO people way underestimate the reliability of the AR15 platform. They are as not as finicky as people think. My RRA went over 5k rounds with only lubricant added every few hundred rounds without reliability issues.

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I do it differently but nothing I saw on the vid that I couldn't live with. SJ 40

4. HammerG19

HammerG19 A short American.

If properly lubed they will run for a very long time.Shoot the hell out of it and clean it when you can't stand to look at it anymore.

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I hope he can continue to live with his poor unloading/clearing procedure.
    Opened bolt, checked chamber, closed bolt, THEN removed the magazine.
    performing the steps in that order is a good way to get a loud BOOM in the cleaning room...

lazarus66, capnjim01, pgg00 and 2 others like this.
  6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I said cleaning not clearing . :cheers: SJ 40

DJ Niner likes this.
  7. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I'm lazy. A solvent soaked patch or two down the bore, a dry patch, and then a patch with oil.
    Pull the bolt, spray it with Gun Scrub or such, oil it, and put if back in. Before shooting anything, I always run a patch down the barrel to remove any oil and verify there are no obstructions.

8. Jack Black

Jack Black

I stopped watching when he said you have to stagger the gas rings...

SCM64 and Paul53 like this.
  9. Glockwalker

Glockwalker

The old manual says to stagger the gaps 120 degrees on the 3 gas rings is there a new way?

10. dudel

dudel

It's the proper way to do it; but if the rings are in good shape, it makes little enough difference. You can get a one piece ring and be done with it.

At the range, if it needs it, I'll run a brush using an OTIS wire from breech to muzzle. Then follow it with a patch and lube of the day.

At home, I'll do a more complete cleaning. Getting carbon off the bolt early keeps it from building up and being a pain to remove. Never hurts to check that staked bolts are still good and tight. I have long pipe cleaners for the gas tube; but rarely use them now. There's enough pressure in the tube to blow most anything through.

They can take a lot of abuse; but why abuse any rifle?

Glockwalker and SJ 40 like this.
  11. Z71bill

Z71bill

.223 bore snake -- $.92 + $1 shipping = $1.92.

At this price I don't care how dirty they get - I don't bother washing them.

I have one that is dirty - I run it through 1st - then a cleaner one for the second pass. When one gets too dirty looking I toss it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWZ56U6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3E9QSWYTBCETQ

If you don't like paying shipping same item - free shipping is $1.95.:homer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWZ56U6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1QTZASNOJEN4D

I have used these for a while now - they work just like the snakes that cost $15 -

For less than $2 it is the best gun cleaning item I have ever purchased. I have been using them in my .22 rifle - and now with my AR.

The only down side is shipping takes a long time - like at least a month. But that is not really an issue with me - but just be aware by the time you get them you will have forgotten you ordered them - so it is sort of a surprise when they are in your mailbox.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Joshhtn, Paul53, halfmoonclip and 2 others like this.
  12. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

CLP in bore, sit for a few minutes, run Boresnake through, disassemble and clean BCG, lube and put back together.

Very easy. Maybe run some clean rags around the inside of the upper and lower.

MO Fugga and pgg00 like this.
  13. Jack Black

Jack Black

Staggering gas rings is a myth. You can line up the gaps and it'll work fine. You can remove all but one ring and it'll work fine. They're going to shift around anyway, so staggering them is a waste of time.

Paul53 likes this.
  14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

What an utter dumbass

Bren likes this.
  15. Glockwalker

Glockwalker

You're correct I didn't notice that, and after going back to the YouTube sight where I first seen the video simply by clicking on the title I found in the description there is a note that says:

" As a side note: This gun was safety checked before filming. The magazine inserted was for filming purposes it was brand new and unloaded. Normally you should drop the magazine out before opening the action to safety check your firearm."

It's almost like the old adage: "do as I say not as I do" with that part not shown in the film. I see how the note could be easily overlooked. It should be in the very first sentence of the description but even then it wouldn't show here. I guess I have to apologize for that one because I posted this thread and overlooked that part I should have posted that note along with the film.

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

No apology necessary IMO, it's not your video. And I think his note is a good sign; at least he admitted there was a problem (perhaps got some feedback?) and took steps to address it.

I just hate to allow dangerous stuff to stand without mentioning it. How many folks just watched the linked video on GT, without ever visiting his video page and seeing the note? But I also want to be fair, and give him credit for posting the followup message (which GTers also might not otherwise see).

SJ 40 and Glockwalker like this.
  17. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Probably true of a new-ish AR-style rifle/carbine, but as it ages and the parts wear, it may no longer be the case.

I repaired more than a few M16/M16A1 rifles while in service that were short-stroking, and inspection showed a single bolt ring missing or with one end of a ring broken-off. Each of these weapons still had two serviceable gas rings in place on the bolt, gaps staggered, and they would not function the action far enough to lock the bolt back with an empty magazine in place. Replacement of the missing/damaged ring was all that was needed to return them to normal functioning.

In most cases, these were well-worn training rifles, but in a few cases, they were excellent-condition older rifles being tested for overseas deployment with guard/reserve units. I tend to side with the "If they don't NEED three gas rings, why did they BUILD them with three gas rings?" point of view, and follow it when servicing my own weapons.

18. XDGunner

XDGunner

I'm at 1800 on mine without so much as wiping it down. I refuse to lube or clean it until I get some sort of malfunction.

19. Jack Black

Jack Black

I didn't mean to imply you only need one gas ring. And certainly if you only have one, you wouldn't want it to be damaged. The point was that staggering the gaps is silly. Even if you line up the gaps, they're going to shift right away and become staggered.

Paul53 likes this.
  20. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Personally I would recommend lubing it despite the lack of cleaning.

Enjoy it though. It was a fun experiment at the range when I "tested" mine. Had lots of enjoyable conversations and predictions. Definitely worth doing.

Glockwalker likes this.